Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Mark McGhee determined to land flair pair Hendrie & Hartley

mizer

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2010/07/21/mark-mcghee-determined-to-land-flair-pair-hendrie-hartley-for-aberdeen-86908-22428455/

AMBITIOUS Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee has performed a U-turn and revealed he is chasing Paul Hartley AND Lee Hendrie.

McGhee had suggested he would turn his attention to Hendrie should his pursuit of Hartley prove fruitless.

But the Dons boss last night insisted his vision for a turnaround in the club's fortunes includes both men.

And former Aston Villa star Hendrie, who has been training with McGhee's men, has already impressed the gaffer and can seal a deal by shining in tonight's friendly at Dunfermline.

Ex-Celt Hartley has yet to secure his release from Bristol City and McGhee is determined to fight off Hearts to snare the 33-year-old.

McGhee said: "I would love to have both Hendrie and Hartley in my team.

"Lee is as fit as a butcher's dog and you can see his quality in training.

"As far as Hartley is concerned, I understand he is in the process of negotiating his release from Bristol City and is hoping that will be done over the next few days.

"No decisions regarding the six trialists have been made yet. We will review the situation after the game at Dunfermline. I would rule none of them out at this moment in time but we can't take them all.

"I am pleased with their quality and none of them has disappointed. Every single one of them could have added to the squad but we're not in a position to offer them all deals.

"After the weekend games we are now moving up a level and will play a strong team at East End Park.

"However, I have to be fair to all of the trialists and try to give them as much time as possible.

"I'm going through a process and it is the only one available with the money which is at our disposal.

"We have looked far and wide to cover the positions we require at a level which can be afforded, with players who are good enough.

"We now have to filter the list down a bit more and see where it takes us."

I guess having Hendrie and Hartley would allow Foster to get forward and allow Pawlett, Aluko, Fyvie and Paton the chance to play a bit.

We're gonna be like Barclona.

Paton

Aluko  Fyvie  Pawlett

Hendrie  Hartley

NEW Diamdond Consi Foster

Langfield

:o

I guess having Hendrie and Hartley would allow Foster to get forward and allow Pawlett, Aluko, Fyvie and Paton the chance to play a bit.

Paton

Aluko  Fyvie  Pawlett

Hendrie  Hartley

Langfield

Would need a decent striker brought in to play that way. Paton Mackie or Maguire nowhere near good enough to play the loan striker role.

Didn't Hendrie play left wing for Villa?

Derek Young was a striker once...

Not sure though.

Would need a decent striker brought in to play that way. Paton Mackie or Maguire nowhere near good enough to play the loan striker role.

It was tongue in cheek but agree.

Maybe jumping the gun here but could it be possible that the lure of playing alongside Hendrie might be part of Hartleys thoughts of signing for the dons?  Maybe part of the deal that he will sign if Hendrie signs, although very doubtful.

It just seems very strange that McGhee turned his back on what he said about it being one or the other  :-\

I have a funny feeling that even though he says wages arent a problem for Hendrie and Hartley it may well scupper the wage budget for all the other players he wanted to bring in to bolster the squad.

So it could well be a small strong squad, was that not what we had with Jimmy?

Did McGhee not say he wanted a bigger squad?  Seems its the only way to perform in SPL.  But with a good youth system.  Big season for the kids as well this year, but surely Hartley and Hendrie must have a good effect on them  8)

Paton

Aluko  Fyvie  Pawlett

Hendrie  Hartley

Langfield

You're missing McArdle and Magennis!