Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen FC’s Grassi linked with move to St Johnstone

Perth club ready to make move for star

Published: 21/05/2010

ABERDEEN FC’s hopes of re-signing Davide Grassi could be scuppered by St Johnstone.

The Perth club were today linked with a move for the left-sided player.

The Italian spent last season with Aberdeen FC but is now out of contract.

The Dons have offered Grassi a six-month deal, but the player wants to sign for the entire season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allegedly earning buttons.

Given lack of any kind of depth in squad, I'd give the boy a contract for another year. Pay him a pittance and throw in a season end bonus if he plays x number of games.

Alternatively St J can have him, and give us Jody Morris

I would keep him.  Looked better come the end of the season and one of the few players showing a bit of grit about them.  I mean he is far from the completed player but considering we only have 10g wages extra for new players we could end up with 7 or 8 lower league players who are worse.  Better in midfield IMHO

His height in the box at both ends could be a valuable assett too.  Its only a matter of time before he starts scoring more.

MM in the EE saying that if Grassi leaves along with Mulgrew, he'd be happy to have Considine at left back next season.  He's obviously never seen him play there...

Would still be an improvement on Grassi playing there.

Edit: Does this mean that MM is saying Grassi will be our first choice left back if he stays?

MM in the EE saying that if Grassi leaves along with Mulgrew, he'd be happy to have Considine at left back next season.  He's obviously never seen him play there...

I would rather Ifil was left back.

Left back in the dressing room.

Oh the old ones are the best ;D

Guest ally s

Would still be an improvement on Grassi playing there.

Edit: Does this mean that MM is saying Grassi will be our first choice left back if he stays?

Surely not. Grassi (if he stays) should be used as a last resort only.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1751321/?UserKey=

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will give defender Davide Grassi and goalkeeper Stuart Nelson until July 5 to commit their futures to the club.

McGhee has made a six-month contract offer to Italian Grassi and a year’s deal to goalkeeper Nelson, but neither has agreed to stay at Pittodrie.

McGhee said: “We have made offers to them both and I expect them to take until the players return for pre-season training to make a decision.

“I feel very nervous and will remain so until deals are done.

“We are doing all we can and I am always confident, but I won’t be satisfied until they sign on the dotted line.”

McGhee hopes Nelson will continue to provide competition for Jamie Langfield at the club, while Grassi has been earmarked for a left-back berth.

The Dons manager is now working on filling three other positions he feels must be strengthened before the new campaign gets under way on August 14.

He said: “I require good players, but there are specific positions which must be strengthened for the start of the new season.

“We don’t have an out-and-out right winger for a start. Richard Foster is an option to play there, but I am looking for a natural wide right player.

“We also need someone to play left of midfield.

“Sone Aluko can play wide left, but there is no one inside him as things stand.

“The other position is centre forward.

“We have players there, but none of them are tall, target man and that is a priority.”

Kilmarnock’s Kevin Kyle is one target for the Dons, but the attacker has still to decide where his future lies.

Discussions are continuing with targets, but the Dons manager is bracing himself for a waiting game.

McGhee would love to have his new squad in place by the time players return for pre-season, but he admits patience will be required in what is shaping up to be a protracted couple of months.

He said: “We’ve made a lot of calls to agents and due diligence is being carried out.

“I think this summer will be something of a culture shock to a lot of players.

“They are going to have to realise the terms on offer from teams these days is less than it was in the past.

“Managers are playing a waiting game as a result.

“I am trying to push as many players as I can, but the players are keen to wait to see if better deals come their way.

“The Scottish scene is very quiet at the moment.

“We are delighted to have one new signing already on board and we are determined we’ll add more like the calibre of Rory McArdle.”

Would've thought Pawlett would have been playing wide right once he is fit. 'Target man' doesn't really scream silky, attractive football on the deck either.

Thought that too. Also concerns me that according to those quotes, McGhee doesn't see central midfield as a position requiring reinforcements never mind a priority.