Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Fast track to relegation

But yet the man's been in the job five minutes. The complaint that managers in football arent getting any time in the game is alive and well.

I can see that if he took over a struggling team and took a few years to get them up the league but to take over a top 6 team who were in Europe and take them into a relegation battle is unacceptable.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have had no problem in the past with players moving on whether we like it or not, surely to fuck when we want rid of some of them they will shift when we want them to?

I reckon most of themm KNOW they will end up in the lower reaches of Scottish/english football and will have to be booted out, but hell, if they can come the cunt with us during cotract time then we can systematically "find thier level"during close season?

In 3 seasons in the SPL he's finished top 6 once. He claimed he had the best team outside the SPL and then went on to finish 7th, he's now taken a team that finished 4th and taken them to a relegation fight. He's not a good manager and he shouldn't be at Aberdeen. If he stays then I hope to god he turns it around but as it is I still rate him as highly as I did when he was at Motherwell, which is not very highly at all.

If you can tell me what you see in this guy that makes you think he's got it in him to change this then I might be swayed but at the moment I don't imagine anyone can put up an argument in his favour. If he has plans to change things next season why wasn't anyone signed on pre-contracts in January? He's done nothing to address the problems in the team. All he's done so far is compound them.

Agreed.

we have had no problem in the past with players moving on whether we like it or not, surely to fuck when we want rid of some of them they will shift when we want them to?

I reckon most of themm KNOW they will end up in the lower reaches of Scottish/english football and will have to be booted out, but hell, if they can come the cunt with us during cotract time then we can systematically "find thier level"during close season?

But if they're under contract they don't have to move anywhere whether we want them to shift or not.  if someone has a year left with us why would they go to the lower reaches of Scottish Football for less money if they can pick up considerably more with us for doing fuck all, especially if they think the manager who wants them out will get the sack in the forseeable future?

Aye well JC never replaced Russel Anderson, no big deal for "the red army", JC never replace Chris Clark, no big deal for "the red army", JC never replaced Barry Nicholson, no big deal for "the red army", but now, when a manager who has been in Pittodrie's door for such little time is being made to suffer from CHRONIC under investment in the squad, both in terms of the availability of youth and the availabilty of cash to get some half decent seasoned players in hes crucified?

S C A P E G O A T.

Aye well JC never replaced Russel Anderson, no big deal for "the red army", JC never replace Chris Clark, no big deal for "the red army", JC never replaced Barry Nicholson, no big deal for "the red army", but now, when a manager who has been in Pittodrie's door for such little time is being made to suffer from CHRONIC under investment in the squad, both in terms of the availability of youth and the availabilty of cash to get some half decent seasoned players in hes crucified?

S C A P E G O A T.

To be honest, I think the above undermines your argument.

S C A P E G O A T.

If you think that nobody minded not replacing the players you named above after they left then your hugely off target. 

Its one thing saying McGhee is suffering from chronic under investment, but can you recall what happened to the fee's we received for 2 of the 3 players you named?...... How much of that was invested in the squad? (I'll give you a clue, it was very close to f*ck all)

It's very easy to make this a comparison between calderwood and mcghee, but that doesnt excuse the fact that mcghee seems too be failing to get the best of the players we already have at the club, we have no system that works with the current personnel,  players that don't seem to want to play for the manager, baffling tactical decisions and substitutions.  How much of that is down to a small budget?....

Scapegoat, what a load of p*sh

My point re the youth is that if we had in any way a decent youth system then these players that MM is trying to blood properly and in a responsible fashion is that we could have had a trickle of youth players coming through most seasons building and adding to the squad whilst having the time and space to rest and rotate these young players.  but no, MM is left with a shadow of a squad and is forced to rely ona host of  young players who he has to try and prepare a larger number at once.

My point re the youth is that if we had in any way a decent youth system then these players that MM is trying to blood properly and in a responsible fashion is that we could have had a trickle of youth players coming through most seasons building and adding to the squad whilst having the time and space to rest and rotate these young players.  but no, MM is left with a shadow of a squad and is forced to rely ona host of  young players who he has to try and prepare a larger number at once.

Getting a youth system in place isn't an instant process, the trickle is starting now. 

So why bust MM nuts before he has had the benefit of those young players?  Brilliant idea, coz then NEXT season when we need decent experienced players there wont be ANY money AT ALL to bring them in cos all that money from releasing players has gone to paying off management contracts. Not that that will matter because nobody will want to come and manage AFC as the there will

a) be no cash for players

b) the board of directors dont give a fuck

c) the "red army" demand instant dismissal if a European pish up is not gauranteed every year.

So why bust MM nuts before he has had the benefit of those young players?  Brilliant idea, coz then NEXT season when we need decent experienced players there wont be ANY money AT ALL to bring them in cos all that money from releasing players has gone to paying off management contracts. Not that that will matter because nobody will want to come and manage AFC as the there will

a) be no cash for players

b) the board of directors dont give a fuck

c) the "red army" demand instant dismissal if a European pish up is not gauranteed every year.

McGhee is getting a much greater benefit from the current youth system than others have had!

And anyway your point about youth players doesn't even come close to mitigating against the piss poor job McGhee has done so far.  Really hope he turns things round because this season has been a massive step backwards, but the signs so far look bad. And all this scapegoat pish is quite frankly nonsense!

This mess is completely the board of directors fault.  We had assembled a great squad in 06/07 which went on to finish 3rd.  They then cashed in to the first bidders and have chronically underinvested since. Its not MM or JC's fault.  The current predicament is a result of cutbacks to wages. 

I only wish that the board had given JC the near million quid it cost to repace him to spend on players last summer. I think we would then have been looking forward to europe again next season. 

'Availability of youth' - it's fair to say McGhee has had better youth players available to him in his 9 months than JC had in 5 years. Not that there's any point in comparing the 2 managers

Has he though? The only player that's played more than 30 minutes of football for us this season that hadn't been available to JC is Fyvie, and in all probability, he hardly would have featured this season if at all under Calderwood.

Not that this excuses McGhee from having a chronically terrible squad, going on holiday for a month after being appointed started off the process of scrambling about for players that aren't nearly good enough.

Surely when he was at Motherwell and was looking for players to sign for the following season, he had better than Ifil and Grassi on his shortlist?

I would be willing to accept some sort of mitigation for McGhee....this mythical 'transitional season'.....if there was some sign of improvement, that there was some sign that McGhee was working on a plan, that the players were responding, that there was hope for the future.

But there simply isn't. McGhee's tenure has been an almost unmitigated disaster from day one.

It's not good enough to say....'ah, but he's had no funds to work with'.....it may be true, but there are many, many managers in the same position as McGhee, and they have to get on with it....it's their job to motivate and the get the best out of the players there, no matter their level.

Has McGhee come close to achieving that ? No, he hasn't.

And finally, the old....'it's not his team' excuse. Probably the most bizarre thing I've read. How many new managers when they come into a club instantly clear out the whole squad and bring in 22 brand, spanking new players ?

None. Their job is to work with the players they have and get more out of them than the previous manager.

McGhee has proved that he's completely unable to do that......there are bizarre statements out there on more fascistically run Dons forums that somehow this season is acceptable as it's 'transitional'.

As if in the summer McGhee is going to magic up a whole squad of better players and turn them into contenders.

These foold don't seem to realise that next season we're going to have 80% of the same squad there, with the other 20% made up of rejects, kids and trialists.....all led by the same manager who have proven himself incapable of doing the job from day one.

Look at it this way....if you were Miller and Milne, and you were discussing funds available for players (if any) in the summer......would you have second thoughts about trusting these funds to McGhee ?

I damn well would.

The youth argument makes no sense, are folk seriously saying McGhee being forced to play a 16 year old yesterday and a 17 year 25 times this season is signs of a good youth policy? Both are good in short dozes but neither are ready for first team action. Pawlett has suffered almost instant burn out unfortunately but I would also state if he was available we'd have been a lot higher in league. What other youth players is it that McGhee has had at his disposal exactly?

In time I think there is signs of good players and ability but the players are being forced through.

Most of McGhee's signings have been dire in my opinion but I also think the current squad was dire. This is shown by Calderwood's record before he was sacked, was it not something like 3 wins out of 17?

There is a chronic lack of investment, the fact is that £18,000 per week was saved in the summer on out of contract players leaving and the manager was given £3,000 per week to replace the players!

Yep.  4th place in the league.

So overall the season league wise was a success but before he was sacked we lost to Dunfermline in the cup and only won 3 out of 17 games. McGhee record has been a carry on of that truly horrendous statistic.

This mess is completely the board of directors fault.  We had assembled a great squad in 06/07 which went on to finish 3rd.  They then cashed in to the first bidders and have chronically underinvested since. Its not MM or JC's fault.  The current predicament is a result of cutbacks to wages. 

I only wish that the board had given JC the near million quid it cost to repace him to spend on players last summer. I think we would then have been looking forward to europe again next season.

Yay. someone gets it!

This is the AFC way. If the rumblings of discontent get too loud. our intrepid board of directors take the short term option time and time again.  They sack the manager. Twenty years this has been the cycle of failure,

League position slips under current manager.

Red army get pissed off

board say they support the current emcumbment

Red army get more pissed off and moan louder about it

board say they support manager again BUT GIVE HIM NO MORE CASH TO WORK WITH

Relegation/embarassment looms. sacking

drag in new manager

Start at top

All this has been is a diversion from the utter ineptitude as to how this club is run.

So, he is therefore a scapegoat

Yay. someone gets it!

This is the AFC way. If the rumblings of discontent get too loud. our intrepid board of directors take the short term option time and time again.  They sack the manager. Twenty years this has been the cycle of failure,

League position slips under current manager.

Red army get pissed off

board say they support the current emcumbment

Red army get more pissed off and moan louder about it

board say they support manager again BUT GIVE HIM NO MORE CASH TO WORK WITH

Relegation/embarassment looms. sacking

drag in new manager

Start at top

All this has been is a diversion from the utter ineptitude as to how this club is run.

So, he is therefore a scapegoat

A scapegoat is usually some one who is blameless and McGhee is certainly not blameless for the mess we are in. He has failed miserably to get anything out of the existing squad and spent what cash he had on some absolute dross.

The youth argument makes no sense, are folk seriously saying McGhee being forced to play a 16 year old yesterday and a 17 year 25 times this season is signs of a good youth policy? Both are good in short dozes but neither are ready for first team action. Pawlett has suffered almost instant burn out unfortunately but I would also state if he was available we'd have been a lot higher in league. What other youth players is it that McGhee has had at his disposal exactly?

In time I think there is signs of good players and ability but the players are being forced through.

Most of McGhee's signings have been dire in my opinion but I also think the current squad was dire. This is shown by Calderwood's record before he was sacked, was it not something like 3 wins out of 17?

There is a chronic lack of investment, the fact is that £18,000 per week was saved in the summer on out of contract players leaving and the manager was given £3,000 per week to replace the players!

Is this myth still being peddled?

Jerel Ifil moves himself and his family 700 miles north for less than 3 grand a week, which in all likelyhood is less than what he was on at Swindle?

On top of that you have Grassi and Nelson (who has to be on at least a grand a week more than Bertie).

Maybe £3000 for the last two!