Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mackie to be converted to a midfielder?

Mackie offered midfield chance at Aberdeen FC

McGhee’s praise for long-serving Don

By Sean Wallace

Published: 10/04/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today challenged Darren Mackie to seal a place in his long-term plans.

Mackie, Aberdeen FC’s longest-serving player, has played as a striker throughout his career.

But McGhee believes the 28-year-old is capable of carving out a new role for himself as a central midfielder.

Mackie played in a central midfield role for the first time in the 3-1 midweek defeat to Rangers.

The Aberdeen FC boss will have a cull of players in the summer, but McGhee revealed Mackie could have a future at Pittodrie – as a central midfielder.

He said: “If Darren proves he could also play in central midfield that could definitely add to his future at the club."

How did he play in midfield on Wednesday?

Wide midfield i could understand, but central midfielder?? What the WTF?

The only thing i can think of is Mackies tendency to snap into challenges and harass opponents making McGhee think he could make a useful central midfielder. Personally I don't see it though.

And here begins the dwindling of the number for the cull.

Could well be right there manc!

I am just the only person to remember that Mackie was a midfielder and then put into a strikers role unsuccessfully for 9 years?

He never played in midfield min.  When he broke into the team he was wide right of Ebbe's famed 4-3-3, with Winters on the left and Stavrum through the middle.