Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? For a start we never defended the whole game. For seconds, Young was very rarely in the right back position geographically. I can almost guarantee, not being McGhee, that he sent out a 3-5-2 today. Then again, I know fuck all.

McGhee's interview today before the match stated it was 4-4-2 with Derek Young at right back and Ross at left back.

Guest rocket debris

Of course it was.

Really? For a start we never defended the whole game. For seconds, Young was very rarely in the right back position geographically. I can almost guarantee, not being McGhee, that he sent out a 3-5-2 today. Then again, I know fuck all.

Guest rocket debris

OK I stand corrected. I told you I ken fuck all. But I swear that it never once looked like 4-4-2. And why would it? Hearts were so shite that we never once had the formation line of 4 at the back. The key for me was Kerr's role. He was sitting in front of the back for the first half and the game passed him by. In the second, he got stuck in and was told to push up. That much was clear to everyone surely?

The CB pairing of Ifil and Mulgrew was pretty good though. Ifil was having a no nonsence day, going for a punt with almost every ball, not pretty but very effective, he was the only guy who could deal with Nade & (other black guy) when they both came on.

Mackie was truly amazing today, if he knew how to finish he could easily have got 3 or 4.

Ifil I like. In the games I've seen I realise he can't pass but he can tackle and can scare forwards. Against celtic he was shit but that's a lack of experience. Generally I've been impressed with him and don't think he deserves the criticism he's had recently. Scotland is a strange league given the step up you need to make from playing ie falkirk to playing OF. I've seen just about as much to impress from him as I have from Zander or consi.

Mackie is a grafter and if he was more vocal could be a captain. When I saw young was RB i actually wondered if maybe turning Mackie into a full back would be a good idea. That might be ludicrous but I'm curious what folk think about that.

His crossing isn't top notch and neither is his tackling but he is willing to make a tackle unlike some! is the latter not easier to teach also? He gets stuck in and gives his all so maybe teach him the positional sense of a wing back and we're onto something.

Ifil I like. In the games I've seen I realise he can't pass but he can tackle and can scare forwards. Against celtic he was shit but that's a lack of experience. Generally I've been impressed with him and don't think he deserves the criticism he's had recently. Scotland is a strange league given the step up you need to make from playing ie falkirk to playing OF. I've seen just about as much to impress from him as I have from Zander or consi.

I'm not 100% convinced of Ifil but what I would say is that I get the impression he's a bit of a confidence player in the respect that if he gets a good tackle, clearance, interception etc in early, he'll go on to have a good game. If he has a shaky moment early on it seems to prey on his mind a bit and he looks edgy from then on in.

Mackie is a grafter and if he was more vocal could be a captain. When I saw young was RB i actually wondered if maybe turning Mackie into a full back would be a good idea. That might be ludicrous but I'm curious what folk think about that.

His crossing isn't top notch and neither is his tackling but he is willing to make a tackle unlike some! is the latter not easier to teach also? He gets stuck in and gives his all so maybe teach him the positional sense of a wing back and we're onto something.

Merely being willing to make a tackle is not the sign of a good defender, knowing when to tackle is the crux of the matter.  The last thing our fragile defence needs is people flying into tackles they'll never win.  I'm not sure why you'd want to waste time training him to play full back, knowing that you may never make a defender/wing back out of him when you could actually just sell him (if you're not going to use him up front) and get a proper full back in. 

Really good performance overall I thought, we deserved the win thoroughly.

As has been said above Hearts were actually shocking, would be pretty pissed off if I was a Hearts fan.

Pawlett had another great game I thought :)

Guest rocket debris

Yes

But I went to them anyway out of spite!

Likewise. Have never missed an AFC cup win during my lifetime. That's a lot of years.

Just in  :wino:

Incidentally, it was clearly a 4-4-2.

Pretty drab first half but we played well in the second half.  Absolutely astonishing miss from Mackie in the second half so I'm glad he scored as he could have got a real hiding from some of the support.

Overall we were very comfortable.

Best three players on the pitch:

1. Fyvie.  Head and shoulders above anybody else on the pitch.  If there's a better central midfielder at the club then I'd be gobsmacked.

2. Mackie.  Two shocking misses but still a great performance.  If only Miller put in this much effort.

3. Pawlett.  The boy is superb.  Very direct and quick.

Most surprising moment of the game:

1. Miller beating somebody for pace to set-up the opening goal.  Our first goal was one of the best worked goals I've seen for ages.

Wasn't at the game and not seen the highlights (at a wedding reception). I thought mackie was amazing last week at tannadump, good to hear he has carried his form over. delighted with the win, let's hope for a decent draw at home, anyone know when the draw is?

Wasn't at the game and not seen the highlights (at a wedding reception). I thought mackie was amazing last week at tannadump, good to hear he has carried his form over. delighted with the win, let's hope for a decent draw at home, anyone know when the draw is?

Tomorrow after Hamilton vs Huns