Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Holy Mother of Jesus: AWPR Approved

glasgow sheep

Firstly, were they not aware that the weather might be cold particularly between November and February? ???

Secondly, the weather has very rarely been particularly cold over this winter.

In conclusion this is just a load of buck-passing nonsense.

There was actually another news story on the BBC this morning suggesting that Aberdeen had an unprecedented >100 days below zero this winter and that the cooncil spent £600K over on their budget for road gritting, so it probably isn't nonsense (if gritters are required, then I'd expect road building would be difficult). Here's the EE take on it:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/plan-for-20-large-scale-community-grit-bins-to-help-with-severe-winter/

What's interesting about the Guardian story, is that it doesn't say who's liable for the cost. It looks like it's just the company informing their shareholders rather than an increased debt of the Scottish government. In which case, excellent contracting, for once.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live here. I'm not even reading that. I don't need to. The weather was not "unprecedentedly" cold.

The article didn't say much. However, there is clearly - and obviously - precedent for coldness, the/my term should have been "unexpected". If the usual number of days below zero is 70 and the figure hits over 100 then that would be unexpected I think it's fair to say, regardless of anecdotal experience.

I live in the centre of town

I know it’s colder in the country but I remember scraping ice off my car windscreen once this winter.

Let’s double it and say twice.

Damp grey miserable we can all agree with but it hasn’t been cold.

It’s a lie

I know it’s colder in the country but I remember scraping ice off my car windscreen once this winter.

It’s a lie

Get up earlier in morning then ya lazy coont  :thumbsup:

Scraped my way through the whole winter, there was rarely a morning I wasn't out there de-icing

What's interesting about the Guardian story, is that it doesn't say who's liable for the cost. It looks like it's just the company informing their shareholders rather than an increased debt of the Scottish government. In which case, excellent contracting, for once.

For twice, ScotGov did the same for the Queensferry crossing. Any excess hits shareholders not taxpayers.

It’s a lie

DD it was cold during the winter, I stay to the North of the City and days could have snow outside, but go into centre and nothing. Even when it snows, it usually hangs about longer out in the shire than it does in the City.

Once we move to our shiny new stadium, you'll appreciate how colder it gets the further out of the city you go.

• 2 months later...

DD it was cold during the winter, I stay to the North of the City and days could have snow outside, but go into centre and nothing. Even when it snows, it usually hangs about longer out in the shire than it does in the City.

Once we move to our shiny new stadium, you'll appreciate how colder it gets the further out of the city you go.

Funnily enough, I live out in Garlogie, we had two days of snow this winter.

And yes temps do drop a degree or too further out you go, and vice versa in warmer weather, but you're forgetting to factor in the windchill factor at ice-station Pittodrie

• 2 months later...

It'll be something to do with the contract along the lines of not being able to open the road until they give the contractor the taking over certificate which will start the defect liability period, which they won't want to do while the contractor is still working. There will be payment milestones connected to most likely. The MSP chap said something about them being able to open the completed stretch once the contractor agrees to the proposed variation order, that sounds about right. I imagine the VO will be incredibly unfavourable towards the contractor.

What I am wholly and utterly sick of is the local politicians slagging this off at every turn. It's been built, it's nearly open, but to hear the daily pish in the P&J and EE from Lewis McDonald, Mike Belly Rumbles, and Andrew fuckign Bowie, you'd think their party's had all been intent on building this, and if it wasn't for the nasty SNP it would have been done long ago.

I will say Lewis did say last weekend that the contractors had a lot of questions to answer, so finally a smidgen of sense, but the other two, they can go and take a lang walk into a midden, the stinking shites that they are.

It'll be something to do with the contract along the lines of not being able to open the road until they give the contractor the taking over certificate which will start the defect liability period, which they won't want to do while the contractor is still working. There will be payment milestones connected to most likely. The MSP chap said something about them being able to open the completed stretch once the contractor agrees to the proposed variation order, that sounds about right. I imagine the VO will be incredibly unfavourable towards the contractor.

You were spot on  :thumbsup:

Looks like some positive moves are taking place to get the southern section open.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/fresh-talks-to-open-completed-stretch-of-aberdeen-bypass-positive-says-transport-secretary/

You were spot on  :thumbsup:

Looks like some positive moves are taking place to get the southern section open.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/fresh-talks-to-open-completed-stretch-of-aberdeen-bypass-positive-says-transport-secretary/

Strange, you'd have thought rent-a-quote Belly Rumbles, or Bowie would be all over that, but nah, can't find the negative angle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some random comments  -  Seen me taking around an hour to get from Portlethen to where I want to at Dyce pre Bypass,...but today,left Portlethen at 07.30,and was in Foveran at 08.05  :thumbsup:

Heading into town,managing to leave 15/20 mins later.

Couple of minor things;

The slip lanes are a bit weird/confusing if youre a newbie

A bit more signage where to get on or off

Still trying to work out what or where Cleanhill was pre Bypass  ???

Other than that,thumbs up.Almost embarassing how few cars are on it sometimes

Found it slightly surreal driving it today and wasn't going to bother until the signs at Stonehaven suggested it was better for ARI.

The slip road at Stonehaven seems like it was an after thought (is this perhaps leftover from the old road layout) but then it was like the footage of when the M1 or M6 first opened. Mile after mile with little or no other cars on either side and little or no sliproads - plenty of emergency laybys tough one of which had speed camera van.

The sliproad for Kingswells/ Westhill/ ARI was well signposted but the way it has been constructed I thought I was pulling onto the hard shoulder. Took a detour to see how Kingsford was getting on and had there not been any traffic I may have been done for speeding as last time I drove that road it was a 60mph race track.

I probably should use it tomorrow on the way home but part of me wants to see if there is a visible impact on the Brig'o'dee traffic although sunday afternoon/ evening won't really be a good test case.

Have any Aberdeen residents noted a reduction in the rushhour gridlock on great southern road during the week or is it still best to avoid it between 430 & 7pm on weekdays?

• 2 weeks later...

Have any Aberdeen residents noted a reduction in the rushhour gridlock on great southern road during the week or is it still best to avoid it between 430 & 7pm on weekdays?

literally everywhere has seen a staggering reduction in travel times, with one exception - the on/off roundabout for Westhill/Kingswells at the 5 Mile has seen much longer queues on that stretch of road. Oh how I'm laughing at the W.A.N.K.S  :rofl: