Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Holy Mother of Jesus: AWPR Approved

glasgow sheep

Where do the council get these preposterous ideas from?  Utter clowns.

The way I quantify the lack of ideas rolling around the council HQ is that anyone with half a brain cell in Aberdeen is making dough at an oil company.

Granted there are a fair few idiots making a living from drilling holes in the ground too, but by and large the smart cookies are in places of power at the big hitters of oil and gas.

That leaves the lunatics running (or should that be 'ruining') the asylum.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is lack of people getting involved in politics. Scotland has less people elected and less people even standing for elections than pretty much any developed nations. End result is constant diddies in positions of power who are free to go on being diddies because electorate have no choices, no interest and no influence.

• 1 month later...

Another attempt by the City Council to delay the by-pass?

Council wants to spend Aberdeen bypass cash on schools

Call for rethink on Aberdeen’s AWPR contribution

By Niamh Burns

Published: 15/04/2013

ABERDEEN City Council wants to spend cash earmarked for the bypass on new schools.

Aberdeen council chiefs wrote to Transport Minister Keith Brown two weeks ago to demand a rethink on the city’s contribution.

Aberdeen City Council finance convener Willie Young said the administration was still willing to provide the original donation of between £26 million and £30m. But he said the added cost put on to the city’s share should be given back and spent on education.

Aberdeen City Council is expected to contribute £75m towards the costs.

• 1 year later...

WORK on the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route is set to be completed ahead of schedule.

The AWPR was due for completion in spring 2018, however, the Scottish Government today revealed that the project will now be finished in winter 2017.

Cabinet Secretary for Infrastructure, Investment and Cities, Keith Brown, made the announcement in Aberdeen today.

Mr Brown also revealed that Connect Roads has been awarded the main construction contract for the AWPR/Balmedie-Tipperty (B-T) work.

Mr Brown said: “Since overcoming all the legal challenges back in October 2012, we have done all we can to accelerate the procurement and construction of the AWPR/B-T.

“Following the shortest procurement processes for a contract of this size and complexity – it has been just 23 months since the contract was put to the market – we have now been able to also bring the completion date forward to winter 2017.”

Leader of Aberdeen City Council Jenny Laing said: “I am sure the people in the North-east will be delighted to learn that this hugely significant project is progressing and that we are another step closer to the delivery of the much-needed AWPR.”

Leader of Aberdeenshire Council Jim Gifford added: “It is very satisfying to reach this stage of the tender process.”

• 1 year later...

Sounds like you need to raise your excitement threshold.

Surely a lower excitement threshold is better for me? Generally happier, and able to jizz quicker, fit could be better? 

Edit: Aye, I'm nae talking semen-velocity here, which is not affected by excitement threshold. More the time it takes to produce, meaning I can fit in a quick chuffter atween the office and the car park, the car park and the traffic lights, the traffic lights and the next traffic lights, and so on.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bring this back, seeing as it's been a while.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will be until this opens?

I did read something a while ago about it apparently being open by the end of the year, but that was seen to be highly unrealistic.

Any update photos appreciated too :D

if you drive close to it which I frequently do. Hard to see it being ready by year end, but equally it's pretty close now. Bridge over south deeside road being one of the last major pieces still being finished off.

if you drive close to it which I frequently do. Hard to see it being ready by year end, but equally it's pretty close now. Bridge over south deeside road being one of the last major pieces still being finished off.

Went past that last night, only has one section left, so will finish next wik (believe they do one section per week as they wait for it to dry).

Otherwise, think it's on target for about March/April next year, with parts maybe open before that. Think the original schedule was June next year, then they made some ground and set a target of December this year, before pushing it back again. Be interesting to see it when it's done, although it winna effect me until Kingsford opens.

Went past that last night, only has one section left, so will finish next wik (believe they do one section per week as they wait for it to dry).

Otherwise, think it's on target for about March/April next year, with parts maybe open before that. Think the original schedule was June next year, then they made some ground and set a target of December this year, before pushing it back again. Be interesting to see it when it's done, although it winna effect me until Kingsford opens.

If I still have a job then I think it will help me, Garlogie > Portweegie for work, so at the moment I'm planning to drive to Kingsford, get onto the AWPR there and head across to Charleston, and then doon the A90 from there. I think it'll be quicker, and I think it'll be shorter instead of zigzagging through Culter & Blairs, but time will tell.

If I still have a job then I think it will help me, Garlogie > Portweegie for work, so at the moment I'm planning to drive to Kingsford, get onto the AWPR there and head across to Charleston, and then doon the A90 from there. I think it'll be quicker, and I think it'll be shorter instead of zigzagging through Culter & Blairs, but time will tell.

I do the opposite journey quite regularly, I reckon the Blairs route will still be as quick. Unless the arse end of Badentoy is connected in anyway to the new road, then it might be fine. I'm assuming it will be, so you could either go into Badentoy if that's where ye are, or go across the ASDA flyover and in if you work in the town itself. There's definitely a slip road on to it from Banchory Devenick, but I haven't worked out if you can come off the road and onto the back roads behind the Devenick Dairy. That way, you could come out at hillside and head into Portlethen that way. It's nae obvious, and difficult to find the route on the transportScotland/AWPR page (it takes more than 1 minute, so I can't be airsed). Hope yiv still got a job to go to though given it's only 6 months away.

I do the opposite journey quite regularly, I reckon the Blairs route will still be as quick. Unless the arse end of Badentoy is connected in anyway to the new road, then it might be fine. I'm assuming it will be, so you could either go into Badentoy if that's where ye are, or go across the ASDA flyover and in if you work in the town itself. There's definitely a slip road on to it from Banchory Devenick, but I haven't worked out if you can come off the road and onto the back roads behind the Devenick Dairy. That way, you could come out at hillside and head into Portlethen that way. It's nae obvious, and difficult to find the route on the transportScotland/AWPR page (it takes more than 1 minute, so I can't be airsed). Hope yiv still got a job to go to though given it's only 6 months away.

Aye there appears to be possibilities of slip roads before going as far as Charleston, but at the moment none too clear. Will have to wait and see. Would also help if they'd open that blocked off road at the top of Badentoy Ind.Est. instead of the 2.5mile detour through Portweegie and up the back again.  >:(

Well that's fairly shite. I'd have thought that Portlethen would have made sense, especially given the extension of hoosing at Elsick. Ah well, back roads it is I'd have thought.

They’ve deliberately not provided access from Elsick as they don’t want folk traipsing through Chapelton to join the AWPR.

Sounds right about there being no exit between Stoney and Charleston though.

• 5 months later...

"Summer" is quite a broad timeline, which suggests that they've nae real idea. When it first started they said June this year, but then - as if to capitalise on some political bonus - they brought it forward and then slightly back again. Not sure why they needed to bring dates forward at all, as it would have looked a lot better had they stuck with the original June date. It's a bit like saying your going to win the league when you're three points ahead in October. Idiots. Anyway, it looks fairly well on like. They seem to be at the tarmac-ing stage on the vast majority of the road, which should mean an X days at X miles per day type scenario from here on in, but I suspect that there are other road-based paraphernalia to be added that'll fuck things up.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, were they not aware that the weather might be cold particularly between November and February? ???

Secondly, the weather has very rarely been particularly cold over this winter.

In conclusion this is just a load of buck-passing nonsense.