Aluko Injured

KGB

McGhee irked by Sone Nigeria injury

Aberdeen manager IS upset player has LIMPED back from International DUTY

By Michael Gannon

Published: 12/09/2009

LIMPING: Sone Aluko has been injured on Nigeria duty

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is threatening to pull Sone Aluko out of the Nigerian under-20 World Cup squad.

The attacker is due to meet up with the Super Eagles squad on Tuesday ahead of the tournament which kicks-off in Egypt on September 24.

But the Dons manager is livid after the forward limped back into Pittodrie following Nigeria’s training camp in Spain last week.

Fifa cannot order clubs to release players and McGhee is prepared to play hard ball. He said: “Sone is not away yet – whether he goes or not remains to be seen.

“He has come back with Achilles injuries because he has been training on astroturf all week, which I cannot understand – they do have grass in Spain.

“On top of that he has also been put through a mini-preseason, which he did not need.

“I am not happy about it at all.

“He is getting treatment and we are trying to get him fit for Monday night’s match at Falkirk.

“Beyond that I will make a decision whether I let him go back or not – it is not compulsory .

“We were letting him go because Sone insisted he wanted to play in this tournament but I might just take a harder line because of the way I feel he has been used.

“It will not be a difficult decision for me because I gave them upmost respect and I told Sone it was up to him. He wanted to go and play so I respected his wishes because he is looking to his international future and I was not prepared to be the one who jeopardised that.

“So we decided to let him go for these games, but now he is back in this condition I am not particularly sure I will let him go back.

“I will see how he is on Monday night but if he shows any signs of a reaction – or if he cannot play the whole game for us – then he will not be going.â€

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinnae let him go!

International fitba is shite anyway, he won't miss it. Only reason to let him go would be to put him in the shop windae - and i dinnae want to see him leave yet.

i agree, we pay his wages so he should be here.

only problem is it will totally piss him off and he'll probably want to leave anyway :-\

kinda catch 22

Certainly didn't look very injured last night, and I certainly agree, if Aluko had his heart set on this mickey mouse tournament, he'll be very disappointed and probably end in tears. I hope he's mature enough to know the club will allow him to leave for the African Cup of Nations and this is a minor set back! We need him big time at the moment. We did nothing yesterday until he, Pawlett and Maguire came on. I was pleasantly surprised how he and Maguire seemed to link up (albeit it for the last 10 minutes).

Certainly didn't look very injured last night, and I certainly agree, if Aluko had his heart set on this mickey mouse tournament, he'll be very disappointed and probably end in tears. I hope he's mature enough to know the club will allow him to leave for the African Cup of Nations and this is a minor set back! We need him big time at the moment. We did nothing yesterday until he, Pawlett and Maguire came on. I was pleasantly surprised how he and Maguire seemed to link up (albeit it for the last 10 minutes).

Club has no option but to release him for African Nations as FIFA rules make it compulsory if he is selected. Very dangerous path MM is heading down here as could leave him with a seriously pissed off player asking for a transfer especially if Aluko not attending the U20 world cup effects his chances of being selected for the full team. 

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee today confirmed Sone Aluko has joined up with the Nigeria Under 20 squad, at their Spanish training camp, for the forthcoming World Cup in Egypt, without the permission of the club.

Speaking to RedWeb the Dons boss said: "In fairness there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. "We're in contact with the Nigerian FA and are insisting that Sone returns to Pittodrie to be fully assessed by our medical staff before we decide whether we will give him permission to take part in the tournament."

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee today confirmed Sone Aluko has joined up with the Nigeria Under 20 squad, at their Spanish training camp, for the forthcoming World Cup in Egypt, without the permission of the club.

Speaking to RedWeb the Dons boss said: "In fairness there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. "We're in contact with the Nigerian FA and are insisting that Sone returns to Pittodrie to be fully assessed by our medical staff before we decide whether we will give him permission to take part in the tournament."

If it is really without the permission of the club then he should be transfer listed.

If Sone has been directly told not to go by MM, and has still done gone, then he deserves to be hammered by the club.

If Sone has gone to Spain, without being told by MM exactly what the situation is, then this is just shambolic management by MM and AFC. It seems to me that this misunderstanding has come as a result of the club not telling Sone exactly what is or is not allowed.

If Sone wants to play for his country, then let him. Dragging him back from Spain is clearly not the way to go here if we want to keep up the morale of our star player. AFC needs a new press officer to stop these stupid things from being leaked. Why on earth has this comment been made on our official site?

Why on earth has this comment been made on our official site?

Because the Fat Postie has got wind of it and it's on their website and late editions of today's paper.

EE story makes it out that he's done a runner while the AFC story is a bit more diplomatic. "Misunderstanding" just leaves it open for Sone to apologise privately and the whole affair to be swept away.

I think the whole affair is ridiculous we should never have said he wasn't going to be allowed to go fucks sake we have complained for years about Rangers and Celtic players not turning up for Scotland when we needed them and now we are out to ruin a player's international career before it takes off

>:D

Does McGhee not have a bit of history when it comes to picking fights? While I applaud him taking a tough stance on players doing as they please I hope he hasn't chosen to bloody the nose of our most talented first team player.

Bit fucking AAAARRGGGHHHHH on this one. Last thing we need when we are trying to settle into a new set up.

If it is really without the permission of the club then he should be transfer listed.

totally agree, we can never allow ANY individual to be bigger than the club

I think the whole affair is ridiculous we should never have said he wasn't going to be allowed to go

this whole sorry episode should have been dealt with behind closed doors! how the fuck can it be a misunderstanding? he either said he could or he couldn't go? whats to misunderstand?

SA: "Eh boss, can i have a word?"

MM: "Yeah, what is it?"

SA: "Can i go to the U20 World Cup?"

MM: "Eh......Maybe!"

Does McGhee not have a bit of history when it comes to picking fights?

Yup.  My cousin is a Brighton fan and reckons that he'd fallen out with half of their first team squad by the time he left.  My guess is that Aluko has been wanting to leave since Calderwood got the boot.  Jimmy was one of the main reasons he signed in the first place.