• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1372119

McGhee keen on Segers

Hans to succeed Leighton

Published: 28/08/2009

IN THE FRAME: Hans Segers.

More Pictures

DUTCH keeper Hans Segers is in the frame to succeed Jim Leighton as Aberdeen FC’s goalkeeping coach.

Manager Mark McGhee confirmed that Segers, who played for him at Wolves and now coaches at PSV Eindhoven, is being considered along with Colin Meldrum of Motherwell.

McGhee said: “Hans ticks all the right boxes, but he is on a good deal with PSV.â€

Does anyone know if Segars is just a goalkeeping coach?

Cant find anything to say he does other stuff.

From 1996 to 1998, Segers was a goalkeeper for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Woking before ending his playing career at Tottenham Hotspur in 2001. He was goalkeeper-coach at Tottenham Hotspur until 26 October 2007 when he was asked to stand down with immediate effect following the sacking of Martin Jol.[3]

Plus, he is well into God and stuff.

• 5 months later...

Got to say, this is looking like a questionable decision IMHO.

Langfield was hot and cold today - some great saves but some very sloppy mistakes.

His form seems to have dropped this season, he was so consistent for the last 3 seasons.  I wonder if this is down to Leighton being binned.  It's all very well saving money on the wage bill by perhaps getting somebody else in who will do more than goalkeeping coaching, but if Langfield is starting to cost us goals, then that costs us money too in terms of our final league position.

Leighton has looked out of sorts that last few games. 

Not that I'm suggesting we should do this but will McGhee consider pitching Nelson in or will he continue with Langfield who has been pretty impressive for most of the season (top clean-sheet record in SPL)

:lolabove:

Waaaaaaaaay!!

But I agree with your point (The one I assume you're trying to make). Get Langfield back, Esson, Langfield & Preece all looked questionable signings at their respective times, but Leighton sorted them up into decent keepers. I'm not enjoying Langfields regression since Leighton left.

Huntly snap up Dons legend Leighton as goalkeeper coach

MAJOR COUP FOR THE CLUB SAYS MANAGER

By Dave Edwards

Published: 16/02/2010

GOTHENBURG Great Jim Leighton, out of club football since being sacked by the Dons last year, has joined the coaching staff of Highland League club Huntly.

Leighton was shown the door last August after nine years as goalkeeper coach by Mark McGhee, less than three months after his former team-mate took charge at Pittodrie.

The 51-year-old played 382 games for the Dons as well as serving Manchester United and Hibernian and won 91 caps for his country.

He joined Huntly manager Dave McGinlay at the Sports Village in Aberdeen last night to put the Black and Golds goalkeepers Ross Bremner, Neil Hastie and Gavin Robertson through their paces.

Leighton said: “I am delighted to be doing it.

“As yet I haven't seen any of them play but I am going through to Christie Park to watch them play my old club Deveronvale on Wednesday night.

“I will try to get to see Huntly as much as I can, but I will continue to do my Saturday radio work, mostly at Aberdeen games.

“It will be good to get back involved with a Highland League team. I was loaned out to Deveronvale for a season in 1977 and the last game I played for them was a cup final against Huntly at Christie Park. We won and another former Don Doug Considine was in the Huntly line-up.â€

Huntly manager McGinlay said: “Goalkeeper coaches don't come with much higher profiles than Jim Leighton. Only Kenny Dalglish won more Scotland caps, and I think Jim is the greatest goalkeeper in Scottish football history.

“Jim has agreed to join us at least until the end of the season and it is a major coup for our club. He is still involved with the Scotland under-21 side, but this arrangement suits him well as he will be working with our three goalkeepers on a Monday night in Aberdeen.

“Ross Bremner and Gavin Robertson are both looking forward to working with Jim. And for our newest recruit Neil Hastie it is a dream come true as Jim has always been his hero.â€

Wasn't overly impressed by Nelson today and while dropping Langfield may give him a kick up the backside surely there is more danger of it causing disharmony in the squad when players, who are far more culpable than Langfield (step forward Kerr and McDonald), get picked every week.

Hence why I find it impossible to lay the majority of the blame at the players feet.

Your logic being what?

If the manager cant drop the two worst players in the team, never mind strip the captaincy off Kerr, questions have to be seriously asked of him. Kerr, McDonald and formerly Miller were all screaming out to be dropped, but they are ever constants.