Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Leighton leaves aberdeen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1765991,00.html

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/ea/3f/0,,10284~6963178,00.jpg[/img]

DONS GOALKEEPING COACH MOVES ON

Aberdeen Football Club have announced that they have parted company with goalkeeping coach Jim Leighton.

The fomer Scotland international and Gothenburg Great returned to Pittodrie twelve years ago from Hibs and retired from playing in 2000, becoming the club's first ever full time goalkeeping coach.

Manager Mark McGhee said, "On behalf of everyone at the Club, I would like to thank Jim for the massive contribution he has made in his two spells here, both as a player and a coach, and we wish him all the very best for the future."

Maybe he's a pish coach?

Great insight there.  ::)

I certainly hope Jim & AFC have parted on good terms, he's been a great servant to the club. Could this be to do with financial constraints at AFC?

I'd agree that it's not a critical role, and I'd rather see any resources being put towards the players budget at this moment.

All the best Jim.  :thumbsup:

Aye, think so. His role in the Bossu signing can't have done him any favours either.

I really dont think Jim would have picked Bossu as a keeper, again I think that was finances. I still remember when we were out in Holland pre-season and Leighton having to teach Bossu the basics in the warm up before the game on how to come for crosses. If it hadn't been our backup keeper it would have been funny.

Was it not the case that leighton rated Ryan Esson over David Preece a few seasons back only for Preece to make the no.1 slot his own after several cock ups by Ryan

(I was always concerned that Esson was often in the Aberdeen Uni Union playing pool on the friday night before a home match)

Leighton was (and probably still is) a fine goalkeeper but that doesnt mean he is a good coach.

Those that Can do, those that Cant, teach etc etc

Cant say I really rated Meldrum but maybe he is a good teacher

they were speaking on the radio about colin meldrum replacing him, as he was part of mcghees staff at motherwell

Colin Meldrum was a dandy as a boy. Doesnt matter a damn if he can't coach right enough so fingers crossed.

If this is Jim's own decision then fair enough.  But if its not his decision then I'm utterly appalled at this.  He's turned Langfield into a great keeper, and I can't see how we could possibly get a better replacement as goalkeeper coach.

Wonder if there has been a falling out.  Story on Redweb doesn't give much away.  ???