Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Leighton leaves aberdeen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see him go. An absolute Legend. THE best keeper I've ever seen with my own eyes (and the best Dons keeper ever, marginally edging past Snelders and Kjaer).

I thought he'd done a good job with his goalie coaching. He succeeded in turning both Langfield and Preece from bungling nervous wrecks into pretty solid, reliable keepers. But then, he did prefer Soutar, Esson and Bossu so clearly all that vasoline from his playing days must have done something to his sense of judgment.

Thanks for all the playing and coaching memories Jim. You're a true legend! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave: :wave:

Sad to see him go. An absolute Legend. THE best keeper I've ever seen with my own eyes (and the best Dons keeper ever, marginally edging past Snelders and Kjaer).

I thought he'd done a good job with his goalie coaching. He succeeded in turning both Langfield and Preece from bungling nervous wrecks into pretty solid, reliable keepers. But then, he did prefer Soutar, Esson and Bossu so clearly all that vasoline from his playing days must have done something to his sense of judgment.

Thanks for all the playing and coaching memories Jim. You're a true legend! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave: :wave:

I'm fairly sure the rumours about bossu were that leighton was very much against signing bossu, but calderwood decided to press ahead with the signing due to the lack of funds for someone better

I'm fairly sure the rumours about bossu were that leighton was very much against signing bossu, but calderwood decided to press ahead with the signing due to the lack of funds for someone better

That's what I thought too.

Anyway, still think we need a goalkeeping coach so we'll wait and see what happens.  Still wondering if there's more to this story seeing as no reasons have been given for Jim leaving.

That's what I thought too.

Anyway, still think we need a goalkeeping coach so we'll wait and see what happens.  Still wondering if there's more to this story seeing as no reasons have been given for Jim leaving.

Stake good money on it :(

Leighton sacked as Aberdeen FC goalkeeping coach

Leighton in tears after shock decision

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 24/08/2009

ABERDEEN FC legend Jim Leighton today admitted he was in floods of tears after being sacked.

Leighton has been axed as Aberdeen FC’s goalkeeping coach as new manager Mark McGhee reshapes his backroom staff.

Leighton said: “I’m devastated.â€

It is understood club osteopath Gillian Mitchell is also set to go as part of McGhee’s shake-up.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

Sure i'm not the only one that got the text mesaage doing the rounds about this last night.

Not sure what to make of it, if as serious as made out in said message.

Think the club might need to come clean on this one if only to stop the story growing arms and legs.

The contents of this text message are already posted on other supporters sites

Sure i'm not the only one that got the text mesaage doing the rounds about this last night.

Think the club might need to come clean on this one if only to stop the story growing arms and legs.

Well, let's be glad that this message you received hasn't turned into a PM that was sent my way, as I for one would be disgusted about such an action.

Also received said text message. Would like to know if there is any truth to the rumour.

If there is no truth and this was simply a case of Mark Mcghee believing he can get a better coach in then I support the decision.

Surely Leighton has been a major factor in Langfield becoming one of our best players?

Indeed he may have or Langfield may have just become older and wiser? I do not know.

The point I was trying to make is that if this is simply a case of the man in charge believing he can get someone in that will do a better job than leighton then I see no real problem with his "sacking."

I am in no way saying leighton is a poor coach but if there are better available and would be willing to come to our club then we should get them.

Nostalgia over his playing career for the club should not cloud the judgement on his coaching abilities. If he is deemed surplus to requirements then so be it.

Guest ally s

Likewise. I just don't want to know. No thanks.

Just so you know, if some cretin does happen to pm you this rumour under NO circumstances are you to forward it to me.

Fill yer boots.

Leighton and McGhee allegedly fell out so McGhee allegedly sacked him last week. Leighton allegedly complained to Willie Miller who allegedly overturned the sacking so McGhee allegedly delivered an ultimatum saying it's me or him, so Leighton allegedly had to go.

I'm with DerBomber on this one.

Sentimentality can fuck right out the door if there is opportunity to be better.

Any new manager is going to have to be given the freedom to build his own team around what he wants to achieve. I am happy to see a sense of purpose from our manager.