Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sky & ESPN in Joint Deal for SPL Rights

Apologies if posted elsewhere:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/02/scottish-premier-league-sky-espn

The Scottish Premier League is seriously considering a combined broadcasting tender from Sky and ESPN as it seeks to fill the void created by Setanta's collapse before the new season begins.

Sky was installed as the favourite to replace Setanta as the SPL's main broadcaster after the latter company's demise last month. ESPN swiftly emerged as the only legitimate competition as it seeks to create a European rights portfolio — and fill air space — but it now seems the pair could combine to launch a five-year package which would match Setanta's 60 live games per season.

Although any such contract would not equal the £31m per season which Setanta had been due to pay the SPL for four years from 2011, it is understood the five-year contract could be worth as much as £100m. That would give the league more than the £12m it was due for next season under an existing deal with Setanta but less than expected in the four seasons after.

The main complexities would relate to which channel showed more games and which supplied the majority of the funding. Initial suggestions are that, because of Sky's present position of broadcasting 450 live games per season, it would seek a lower number of matches than ESPN due to scheduling constraints. Yet Sky could still supply at least half or more of the finance in return for guaranteed coverage of the SPL's four flagship fixtures, the Old Firm encounters.

Sky and ESPN have emerged as natural bedfellows having forged behind-the-scenes production agreements for the English Premier League. Sky hardware and crews will be responsible for the Disney-backed channel's upcoming and debut live coverage of England's top flight.

No party has been willing to comment on proceedings in Scotland at this stage due to commercial sensitivity, with the SPL only admitting that "external discussions are ongoing".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true we should bite their hands off now.

We will inevitably have fucking horrendous time slots but almost a million in revenue per season ain't to be sniffed at

Agreed SPL should take this and run before they realise how pish Scottish football has become.

I'm sure I read somewhere that if we accept the deal, we will still be on more than what the current Setanta deal offered as the 125 million pound contract didn't kick in until the upcoming season? Or is that all lies. Either way, I think we have to accept it, Sky/ESPN have us over the barrel on this one, and they know it. Shame the other SPL clubs didn't have the same foresight as us and the bigot sisters.

I'm all for this, but I'm being selfish. I've not been able to view live SPL matches on normal television since Setanta won the rights some five or six years ago, cos Setanta doesn't broadcast to New Zealand. Even in Australia, anyone wanting to air any Setanta channels has to pay a crazy 4-figure monthly sum.

But ESPN is not only available here, it's available on FREEVIEW!!! Halle-fuckin-lujah. And if Sky Sports decide they're gonna show the Old Firm matches, then even better. Means I'll never have to switch to Sky Sports ever again.

I'm all for this, but I'm being selfish. I've not been able to view live SPL matches on normal television since Setanta won the rights some five or six years ago, cos Setanta doesn't broadcast to New Zealand. Even in Australia, anyone wanting to air any Setanta channels has to pay a crazy 4-figure monthly sum.

But ESPN is not only available here, it's available on FREEVIEW!!! Halle-fuckin-lujah. And if Sky Sports decide they're gonna show the Old Firm matches, then even better. Means I'll never have to switch to Sky Sports ever again.

Well I am glad that as owner of this board you are going to be happy  ;D

One pleased dons fans out of thousands is ok  ;)

It's almost unheard of but let the season start, let's not get carried away with this news. ;)

I couldn't give a fuck if it's Al - Jazeera that's got the contract, as long as the SPL does due diligence as far as making sure the company getting the dubious honour of showing SPL games has the necessary readies to support the deal. Setanta never did and really spunked it when they bid for EPL games.

Couldnae gie a shite who does the coverage. But it would be nice if ESPN managed to get a few Dons games a year. It'll be better than the elaborate setup I've got just now whereby the game gets beamed to me through some Chinese streaming software that I cannae read (I flick through about 40 worldwide sports channels each time before I find the Dons game), then linking up my computer to my TV by s-video cable and watching the game in horrible block-o-vision because of the poor streaming speeds.

The last game I watched in crystal clear LIVE vision was the Bayern game at Pittodrie cos it was somehow on ESPN over here. Somehow!

But I would like to put a request into whichever firm wins the rights. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE hire someone else to do your hosting and punditry. Jim White and Champagne Charlie should not be options on anyones lists!

It's almost unheard of but let the season start, let's not get carried away with this news. ;)

I couldn't give a fuck if it's Al - Jazeera that's got the contract, as long as the SPL does due diligence as far as making sure the company getting the dubious honour of showing SPL games has the necessary readies to support the deal. Setanta never did and really spunked it when they bid for EPL games.

:thumbsup:

Me neither!

The last Dons SPL game I watched on TV was.......???

ESPN announce their costs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSL733770320090707

LONDON, July 7 (Reuters) - The Walt Disney-owned (DIS.N) sports network ESPN said on Tuesday it would launch a new channel in Britain in August to show its 46 Premier League soccer matches and other international sports programming.

The channel, which will be available in standard and high definition, will also carry a range of American sports previously provided on the ESPN America channel, which will be integrated into the new British channel.

Dominant pay-TV firm BSkyB (BSY.L), which owns the rights to show the remaining 92 live Premier League matches next season, will sell the ESPN channel to both its residential and commercial customers.

For residential customers, it will be available on a premium subscription basis, for 9 pounds per month to existing Sky Sports subscribers and for 12 pounds per month to other Sky customers.

The Sky Sports in-house production team will produce the ESPN's Premier League matches and Sky's advertising sales house will sell the advertising inventory, while ESPN will produce the graphics, analysis and additional programming.

ESPN won the right to show 46 live Premier League matches for the 2009/10 season, and 23 matches for the following three years in Britain in a hastily arranged auction after previous owner Setanta fell into administration. [nLN409388]

"We look forward to working with Sky to deliver great sports content to their subscribers and will continue our discussions with all other pay-TV providers so that we can bring ESPN to as many sports fans in the UK as possible," said Lynne Frank, Managing Director, ESPN for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

The new channel called ESPN will launch on August 3, ahead of the start of the Premier League season on August 15.

Looks like the best bet for those of us who don't have Sky is to wait for it to appear on other media outlets. (Assuming they get the SPL coverage.)

I received Setanta as part of my XL package  :P on Virgin Media. Hopefully they will be looking to replicate the deal otherwise my TV deal just got a little less value for money.

Same here but with BT Vision - it was marketed as "setanta sports free" so I better get an equivalent or a reduction in price

Cheaper than Setanta if you already pay the 40 odd quid a month for Sky Sports! Hopefully they will work something out with Freeview.

I thought I was paying £12.99 a month for Setanta, so even if you've just got a Sky box with a freeview card it's still cheaper? Albeit by only £0.99.

As for Virgin/BT given that ESPN are in bed with SKY I would doubt their customers will get the new ESPN channel(s) for free. Surprising that these two didn't club together (or one go it alone) to bail out Setanta in the first place given Setanta started their sports news channel for Virgin customers who lost SKY sports news when they had a falling out. Also add to that the biggest reason SKY are the main players in the pay TV market is their sports coverage surely it would have been a worthwhile gamble. Instead all that we have is (in all likelyhood) another reason for folk to choose SKY.

Chairmen and chief executives of the 12 Scottish Premier League clubs have reluctantly given the green light to a new £65m television deal with Sky Sports and ESPN. (Daily Mail)

According the BBC gossip column/Daily Hate Mail.  Bit of a step down from the initial £100m being quoted on Friday.

Being honest, they've had just a couple of months to thrash out a deal. Setanta agreed the original deal when they had BBC and Sky competing for the rights.

Now, though, I doubt that there'd be many bidders for the SPL rights, so ESPN can bid whatever they like. So long as it's £1 more than what BBC can offer, they'll get it.