Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Run of the Mill Rumour Mill

I'm sure if, as some people are indicating, that the wheels have been set in motion, the club will have done their sums....  Would a boost in gates, cover the money spent removing Calderwood & Nichol, Clark and appointing a new management team?  It would be a gamble.

Jimmy has finished within the Top 6 every year since arriving, and despite achieveing very little else in 5 years, the club have always remained happy - Willie Millers official line has been that Calderwood has, and is doing a good job.  If JC is manager next season, you'd imagine that Top 6 is a stick on, once again.

I think the club may be thinking "Can we afford to keep him in the long run?"

If, for talks sake, 500 paying customers from this season decide not to go next season, that's more than £10k per home game.  Over a season that's an awful lot of money and would pay for JC's wage in itself.  Obviously I'm just speculating about figures etc but there are loads of unhappy fans, and of course not all who threaten to stop going will, but can the club take that risk?  I honestly don't know, just trying to think how the club may view things, but I think saying "we can't afford to sack him" is perhaps too simplistic.  There's also the whole "what happens behind closed doors" scenario, maybe the board think it is time for a change for change's sake.  And of course, this could all be a lot of pish and JC is already planning for next season... we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the club may be thinking "Can we afford to keep him in the long run?"

If, for talks sake, 500 paying customers from this season decide not to go next season, that's more than £10k per home game.  Over a season that's an awful lot of money and would pay for JC's wage in itself.  Obviously I'm just speculating about figures etc but there are loads of unhappy fans, and of course not all who threaten to stop going will, but can the club take that risk?  I honestly don't know, just trying to think how the club may view things, but I think saying "we can't afford to sack him" is perhaps too simplistic.  There's also the whole "what happens behind closed doors" scenario, maybe the board think it is time for a change for change's sake.  And of course, this could all be a lot of pish and JC is already planning for next season... we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Yeah I see what you're saying - and it may well be the way the club are thinking, however, I don't believe it's just a recent problem.  I honestly think that over the past 10 years the general malaise has resulted in us permanently losing at least a couple of thousand fans.  People who've simply just lost interest.  As a result, I just don't think sacking Jimmy will make enough of a difference to motivate the board to act.  As I said, if we keep Jimmy on next season, we'll finish in the Top 6, probably pushing for a European spot - that is almost guaranteed.

Yeah I see what you're saying - and it may well be the way the club are thinking, however, I don't believe it's just a recent problem.  I honestly think that over the past 10 years the general malaise has resulted in us permanently losing at least a couple of thousand fans.  People who've simply just lost interest.  As a result, I just don't think sacking Jimmy will make enough of a difference to motivate the board to act.  As I said, if we keep Jimmy on next season, we'll finish in the Top 6, probably pushing for a European spot - that is almost guaranteed.

But surely there comes a point where we have to say "Right ok, that's us reached this level, and consistently. Do we want to just stay here or at least attempt to move on?"  In my own personal view, we're stagnating.  Whether United and Hearts are only x amount of points ahead of us or not is irrelevant.  We have to keep progressing, so do we stick with what we've got - a safe hand, a "17" in pontoon, or do we twist, and try to get us to 19 or 20?  At some point we have to twist, otherwise, what's the point?  Had we done better in the cups we'd be having a different conversation, but the sad fact is that we haven't done better in the cups and if JC does depart this summer, I'm sure he'll look back and admit that's been his nemesis way more than anything else people may get stuck into him about (most of which is also irrelevant).

My source from the club has heard nothing of this rumour. :-\

I suspect it is bullshit.

I however totally agree with BBs post above.  The problem is, to continue the analogy, I can barely imagine afc twisting with a 14 or 15 never mind a 17. 

I suspect it will take our usual start to a season and defeat in the league cup before they even consider punting JC

But surely there comes a point where we have to say "Right ok, that's us reached this level, and consistently. Do we want to just stay here or at least attempt to move on?"  In my own personal view, we're stagnating.  Whether United and Hearts are only x amount of points ahead of us or not is irrelevant.  We have to keep progressing, so do we stick with what we've got - a safe hand, a "17" in pontoon, or do we twist, and try to get us to 19 or 20?  At some point we have to twist, otherwise, what's the point?  Had we done better in the cups we'd be having a different conversation, but the sad fact is that we haven't done better in the cups and if JC does depart this summer, I'm sure he'll look back and admit that's been his nemesis way more than anything else people may get stuck into him about (most of which is also irrelevant).

I completely agree with you, I believe we have to look onwards and upwards.  A cross section of opinion across aberdeen forums, will tell you a significant component of our support are happy with the current situation on the pitch.  The majority of those, will be younger fans, who've grown up supporting a team who've consistently struggled and often flirted with relegation.  If you fall into that category, then the last 5 years will have felt like a glorious success story!  However, by the same token, some supporters believe that we're currently occupying our rightful position in Scottish football - that is, comfortably, one of the top 6 sides in Scotland.

I'm not daft enough to believe that we could ever challenge for the league, or even split the Old Firm, but my ambition for the club would be to see us dominate 3rd place, picking up a trophy every few years.  I honestly believe that is a realistic target we should be shooting for.

Unfortunately, I don't believe many of those in charge of our club share those aspirations.  Aberdeen Football Club seem pretty happy with Top 6 year upon, year - that is why I don't think we'll sack JC.

I completely agree with you, I believe we have to look onwards and upwards.  A cross section of opinion across aberdeen forums, will tell you a significant component of our support are happy with the current situation on the pitch.  The majority of those, will be younger fans, who've grown up supporting a team who've consistently struggled and often flirted with relegation.  If you fall into that category, then the last 5 years will have felt like a glorious success story!  However, by the same token, some supporters believe that we're currently occupying our rightful position in Scottish football - that is, comfortably, one of the top 6 sides in Scotland.

I'm not daft enough to believe that we could ever challenge for the league, or even split the Old Firm, but my ambition for the club would be to see us dominate 3rd place, picking up a trophy every few years.  I honestly believe that is a realistic target we should be shooting for.

Unfortunately, I don't believe many of those in charge of our club share those aspirations.  Aberdeen Football Club seem pretty happy with Top 6 year upon, year - that is why I don't think we'll sack JC.

All very valid points mate.  However, looking at the bit in bold, I honestly just think we have to aim for more.  You have to aim for the highest thing possible otherwise you're going to end up with mediocrity at best.  Take a look at the Dutch league this year. AZ and Twente finish in the top two positions.  Look at Villarreal and what size of club they are and where they've come from and the two giants in their league are gargantuan compared to the two in ours.  Now I know that Villarreal have now had the benefit of CL money, but to finish ahead of teams such as Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid etc in the first place takes some doing. 

By absolutely no means am I saying that we should win the league, but maybe if our club aimed higher than "finishing top six etc" we'd actually achieve something worth talking about.  Which is exactly the attitude you're talking about.  I just hope it changes.

All very valid points mate.  However, looking at the bit in bold, I honestly just think we have to aim for more.  You have to aim for the highest thing possible otherwise you're going to end up with mediocrity at best.  Take a look at the Dutch league this year. AZ and Twente finish in the top two positions.  Look at Villarreal and what size of club they are and where they've come from and the two giants in their league are gargantuan compared to the two in ours.  Now I know that Villarreal have now had the benefit of CL money, but to finish ahead of teams such as Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid etc in the first place takes some doing. 

By absolutely no means am I saying that we should win the league, but maybe if our club aimed higher than "finishing top six etc" we'd actually achieve something worth talking about.  Which is exactly the attitude you're talking about.  I just hope it changes.

:thumbsup::clap:

EXACTLY!  I was going to mention the dutch league as a goods example.  The Playing field in scotland is definately levelling a bit.  The gruesome twosome are always going to have the financial advantage but every club in scotland is focusing on youth development as its priority and starting to see results.  Bebo is def starting to bear fruit and pawlett and paton show promise.  At utd kenneth and goodwillie are getting pretty decent and i quite like the look of the smith at motherwell. The Old firms power in the past has always extended from their large squads but more and more increasingly two or three injuries at once is screwing them royally.  I think over the next 5 years the gap is going to close a bit more (though they will always have the added financial advantage, dodgy ref decisions etc etc) and other teams will put up a fight for 2nd.  Can but hope anyway

Agree with the above.

However, if Jimmy is to go now, I just hope it's not too soon. By that I mean, from a financial point of view. I think there is a period of "New Firm" dominance coming. By "New Firm" I'm not necessarily referring to ourselves and D.Utd (as it was in the 80's) merely the club or clubs out-with the old firm best placed to benefit from a, what is at this stage perceived, decline in standards. With world football as it is, a money orientated game, surely it is only realistic to expect the most financially stable and viable clubs to benefit from this? Is shelling out £1/2 million on getting rid of a management team, in the current financial climate, with debts to be re-financed in a years time and funding for a new stadium to be organised, the right thing to do in order to keep the club on a sound financial footing?

I understand the agitation , I feel it too, I have gone nearly half my life without seeing Aberdeen win anything compared to the first half where we won smoething virtualy every year. I'm nt scared. I haven't got the team I deserve, but I can't hep but feel now is the time for consolidation, not speculation in the vain hope of accumulation. all you need is a quick glance at next seasons League One table to see how quickly and harshly fans "realistc" expectations can be brought home to roost.

So...

If Jimmy is going, I hope for the clubs sake it is to another club who are payng AFC for the pleasure of his services.

EXACTLY!  I was going to mention the dutch league as a goods example.  The Playing field in scotland is definately levelling a bit.  The gruesome twosome are always going to have the financial advantage but every club in scotland is focusing on youth development as its priority and starting to see results.  Bebo is def starting to bear fruit and pawlett and paton show promise.  At utd kenneth and goodwillie are getting pretty decent and i quite like the look of the smith at motherwell. The Old firms power in the past has always extended from their large squads but more and more increasingly two or three injuries at once is screwing them royally.  I think over the next 5 years the gap is going to close a bit more (though they will always have the added financial advantage, dodgy ref decisions etc etc) and other teams will put up a fight for 2nd.  Can but hope anyway

If you fight for 2nd you're surely fighting for first?

One step at a time but hell yeah, why not?  They are not the power to be feared they once were

In this country it's true though. It's not the case with Hearts a few years ago when they split the OF but had no chance of winning the league.  Now, if you split them, you're on to win the league.

Celtic and rangers may not quite be the same proposition they once were but they are still over the horizon for even Hearts, whose budget dwarfs ours. Yes its great to have ambition, but you can only pish wi the cock you've got. If we had no debt, or at least not the crippling burden we have, there would be margin for error but alas there isn't. Get it wrong and the club could conceivably cease to exist. Until then, I can't see much scope for improvement. Even youth development costs, the old firm are light years ahead there too.