Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Diamond devastated his season is over

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1635830,00.html

Jimmy Calderwood has confirmed that Zander Diamond's season is over.

The defender will now have an operation on a recurring ankle injury. Zander has been plagued by the injury all season and did further damage to it in the Celtic game at the weekend and had to be substituted.

The 24 year old went for scans at the start of the week and they revealed he needed an operation.

RedWeb spoke to Zander a short time ago. "I am absolutely gutted to be missing the most crucial part of the season. There are some massive games coming up and it will be difficult sitting watching them from the stand.

"I have no alternative though. The medical staff told me I have to get the operation and I have to listen to their advice.

"I have been playing with the injury for the past 18 months and can't continue like that. I need to get it sorted. All I can do now is concentrate on getting fully fit for when me and the boys return for pre-season training in June."

Obviously in the short term thats shite news.  

Although if it means we get a fully fit diamond back and raring to go at the start of next season, without the worry in the back of his mind that playing will aggravate a niggling injury then it's probably best he gets the surgery.  We'll just have to cope and trust that mair and severin can provide decent cover.

Diamond hasn't looked the player he did when he first broke through, maybe playing on with this injury for 18 months like reported in the article has been one of the causes of this.

Obviously in the short term thats shite news.  

Although if it means we get a fully fit diamond back and raring to go at the start of next season, without the worry in the back of his mind that playing will aggravate a niggling injury then it's probably best he gets the surgery.  We'll just have to cope and trust that mair and severin can provide decent cover.

Diamond hasn't looked the player he did when he first broke through, maybe playing on with this injury for 18 months like reported in the article has been one of the causes of this.

Very valid point.

Considine challenged by Aberdeen FC boss - Prove you can replace Zander, says Calderwood

By Charlie Allan  :cardred:

Published: 23/04/2009

CHALLENGED: Aberdeen FC defender Andrew Considine.

More Pictures

ANDREW Considine was today challenged to prove Aberdeen FC can cope without Zander Diamond.

Considine is the player Aberdeen FC hope will be their new “defensive collosus†because an ankle injury has ended Diamond’s season.

Aberdeen FC boss Jimmy Calderwood said: “We need someone to step up to the plate and Andrew is the obvious choice.

“We are going to miss Zander’s physical presence. He is a real collosus in the heart of the defence at times.

“But Andrew is a big lad, so he can offer that as well. He will need to if we are to get the points needed from our last five games to qualify for Europe.â€

For more on this story, pick up today’s Evening Express, or check back later.

Any more injuries and we're fucked. Big Conso is not long back so hope he doesn't have a recurrence. Same with Big Lee.

It might be all we can afford but a squad of 16 really is bare and there is a lot of juggling to be done when a few get injured.

Maybe next season will be the year the youth break through.

I was thinking next season is a season that the youth NEED to be breaking through. We are fucked otherwise. This was always the problem with having a first team and then journeymen/flexible players making up the rest of squad.