Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I haven't voted yet because I feel there's one option missing which would better suit my choice.

But I would like one thing clarified; I keep reading on here from various posters that "JC has steadied the ship but now we're moving backwards".

Backwards in what way?

We've always been shite in the cups and we're in 4th place.

???

I'd say stagnated rather than backwards. Its hard to argue that we are going forwards and that is what is most worrying for me. I use the word stagnated as I not only think that we are struggling to offer anything more than previous seasons but that the players do not look like they want to change that. To me that means stagnation.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's all the money coming from to pay off the current management team, pay compensation to the club we poach a manager from, and then rebuild the squad... or do we just expect a new manager not to be allowed to get new players in during his first transfer window?

Jewell isn't with a club at the moment, as far as I know. He left Leeds Utd nae that long ago. So no fee for him. I'm sure he'd love the challenge of managing a top SPL side that have more chance of regular European football than Bradford, Sheffield Wed, Leeds or Wigan.

For half the salary? I think he'd rather sit on the dole waiting for an English gig.

I think you'd be surprised who'd all apply for the job.  These people still want to be in employment and hopefully some decent names apply, should there ever be a vacancy of course.

Is Gary McAllister's record too woeful for consideration?

Jewell proves that his sides can get the required results out of the matches against lower clubs than his one - something JC's side currently struggles to do. Rising to the big occasions such as the Old Firm matches would not be a problem for us, as it is in Aberdeen's nature to raise their game against Celtic and Rangers.

Aside from Jewell, I don't know who else to consider. But we need to be looking at a mid-upper table Championship manager if we're expecting JC's replacement to take us to the next level. Bringing on a young, fresh-faced manager is, in my opinion, a move in the wrong direction for us. We got our fingers burned with that scenario by the likes of Willie, Aitken and Paterson.

Jewell proves that his sides can get the required results out of the matches against lower clubs than his one - something JC's side currently struggles to do. Rising to the big occasions such as the Old Firm matches would not be a problem for us, as it is in Aberdeen's nature to raise their game against Celtic and Rangers.

Aside from Jewell, I don't know who else to consider. But we need to be looking at a mid-upper table Championship manager if we're expecting JC's replacement to take us to the next level. Bringing on a young, fresh-faced manager is, in my opinion, a move in the wrong direction for us. We got our fingers burned with that scenario by the likes of Willie, Aitken and Paterson.

Jewell's employment history is almost as bad as Glenn Roeder.

I'd say stagnated rather than backwards. Its hard to argue that we are going forwards and that is what is most worrying for me. I use the word stagnated as I not only think that we are struggling to offer anything more than previous seasons but that the players do not look like they want to change that. To me that means stagnation.

That's exactly what I was thinking - Stagnation.

Yet I keep hearing 'moving backwards'.

Just wondering if anyone can actually back this up with facts that I've obviously missed?

The worst thing that happened to billy davies derby career was get promoted.  They were nowhere neer ready for it and hence the stinker they had. As such i not going to pay any mind to jewells time in the prem and dont know enough about what happpened in the championship to comment.  Wouldnt want jewell anyway on the grounds he knows nothing of the scottish game. 

As for going backwards?  Derek young got a two year contract extension, this is proof enough for me.  He hasnt been as totally stinking as i thought he would be when we signed him but to extend his contract, even if he is on beans, does not inspire confidence that the club is moving forward

That's exactly what I was thinking - Stagnation.

Yet I keep hearing 'moving backwards'.

Just wondering if anyone can actually back this up with facts that I've obviously missed?

If one was going to present a case for 'moving backwards' (which I clearly haven't in my last response) they might point to the fact that a lot of the competition has got weaker (Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock) since JC took over and so staying still could be seen as backwards movement.

Also, Kenetic Energy = Half mass x velocity squared, our squad is smaller (mass) and our velocity has diminished with Clark being sold and Mackie getting fat. Ergo, our Kenetic energy must have reduced and therefor a measurement of movement has gone backwards in real terms.  :-\

If one was going to present a case for 'moving backwards' (which I clearly haven't in my last response) they might point to the fact that a lot of the competition has got weaker (Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock) since JC took over and so staying still could be seen as backwards movement.

Also, Kenetic Energy = Half mass x velocity squared, our squad is smaller (mass) and our velocity has diminished with Clark being sold and Mackie getting fat. Ergo, our Kenetic energy must have reduced and therefor a measurement of movement has gone backwards in real terms.  :-\

Thankyou Carol.

I think the playing staff has been reduced in terms of quality but the return has remained the same. Well, a more accurate assessment of return will be at the end of the season.