Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the things that worrys/annoys me about the JMG thing.  If fan pressure eventually wields the power to remove Jimmy from office, then I'd worry Milne/Miller may look towards McGhee in order to appease the supporters (who is, I'm afraid, overwhelmingly the fans choice).  One thing I am certain of, is that Mark McGhee is not the answer.

:thumbsup: Just the problem is, who is  ???

As I have stated before, I actually think that McGhee would do an excellent job in the short term. I think he would turn around the squad of players we have and make them a solid side who presented a better brand of football. I have some doubts about his medium to long term prospects however as I suspect he has a similar curse to Calderwood in his traditional management values.

I genuinely have no clue as to who we could replace Calderwood with and this worries me. We just haven't got the money or clout to shop uptown and so I suspect we would be forced to take a punt on a young, inexperienced manager. This strategy could work very well or fail catastrophically.

I'm just going to go to Motherwell tomorrow, have a few beers with my mates and Padre, support my team and try to forget all about this pish for a few hours.  8)

He had my backing providing he got results, this was the only thing that could distract me from his talking pish in the press, sucking up to the old firm, tactical ineptitude, constantly playing players out of position, terrible youth record and APPALLING football on the park.  

Calderwood came into a club in turmoil and admirably steadied the ship.  There have been times when I have been delighted with him but with sickening inevitability this has faded time and time again. My point is he’s not been all bad.  Cup results though are important to us and clearly this is where the club needs to develop.  JC has proven he is incapable of this in spectacular fashion, beaten on penalties by 3rd division part timers, conceded 4 goals to a mid table 1st division side and then failed to beat another 1st division side over 210 minutes of football who had lost its last 4 games.  Throw into that the total capitulation to utd in the league cup semi and the same result to a very average Kilmarnock side and you have the straw’s that broke the camels back.  Cup shocks happen in football but for 3 seasons in a row? Thats unarguable incompetence especially when you think of the lost euro revenue that a cup final place would have earned us last season.

On these grounds i want him gone.  I want eric black to replace him and no i dont care about his lack of managerial experience.  The couple of jobs he's had have sufficiently impressed me.  He's cultured, thinks before he speaks, knows the scottish game and most importantly knows the club.  I know peopel dont necessarily agree with this but i feel it in my bones he is the right man for the job and i trust my instincts.

It's fair enough that thats who you want but unfortunately you don't have a say. It's not the way it's done.

I will back whoever is in the job until he is no longer in the job.

An interesting and fair point. I'm still trying to back JC, I just feel quite let down by him and the team. Our team should really be able to pick itself but he baffles everyone almost week in, week out with silly tactics.

My main gripe with McGhee is that he is a bit of a mercenary. A sniff of anything bigger and he's chasing it. He's the 'medias pal' like Jimmy and can't really be trusted with ANY team long term.

I want him gone, I have lost all faith in his ability to manage AFC. However, concerns over the cost of dismissing the management team and sourcing a replacement need to be addressed before we do anything.

I'd like to see Willie Miller leave also.

Managers change tactics week in week out because they don't play the same opposition week in week out.

Sometimes they get it right sometimes they get it wrong. There is always a bigger picture than what most choose to look at.

Granted it was disappointing that we failed to beat Dunfermline but it's a bit unfair to Dunfermline to suggest that losing was all down to Calderwood's tactics. Dunfermline set out their tactics to kill the game and it succeeded. I don't think we are particularly very good at breaking teams down. We use pace most of the time. Pace isn't always going to work against a team flooding the midfield and defence. We pumped Celtic because generally they set up their tactics to try and break their opposition down. This suited us because the game was more open.

It astounds me that people don't even think about the tactics of the opposition when they constantly go on about the tactical choices of our manager. Yes he gets it wrong sometimes and we lose but that isn't just down to him getting it wrong it's also down to his opposite manager getting it right.

I agree with you to some extent Jim. But i've watched us sit in aganst the likes of St Mirren and Falkirk at Pittodrie, which to be fair should neevr be happening. The main problem probably is lack of motivation, something which the manager should be addressing but hasn't seemed to from the end of his first season onwards.

I will back whoever is in the job until he is no longer in the job.

+1

Well said!

This is the most important point in my eyes.

On the whole, JC has done an excellent job for me, at times he's been fantastic, and other times he's been an absolute nightmare.

I really hope, that the reaction from our latest terrible result will push the team on to really end the season on a high, grabbing 3rd place, and with any luck FINALLY grabbing a win at Ibrox?

I really don't mind if he leaves, I think his time has come to go, but I will mind if at the start of next season we have somebody with either no credentials or has repeatedly performerned worse than JC in the SPL (see McGee, Black, Jefferies, Ferguson Jr.)

If we have somebody we all believe can push us onto the next level then, everything is good  :thumbsup:

As for the Holland pre-season tour thing? We never did these trips before he was in charge (maybe we did, I can't remember) but they've been a success for everyone involved, so SURELY we would carry this on with our new gaffer?

I have no idea who I would like in charge though?

+1

Well said!

This is the most important point in my eyes.

On the whole, JC has done an excellent job for me, at times he's been fantastic, and other times he's been an absolute nightmare.

I really hope, that the reaction from our latest terrible result will push the team on to really end the season on a high, grabbing 3rd place, and with any luck FINALLY grabbing a win at Ibrox?

I really don't mind if he leaves, I think his time has come to go, but I will mind if at the start of next season we have somebody with either no credentials or has repeatedly performerned worse than JC in the SPL (see McGee, Black, Jefferies, Ferguson Jr.)

If we have somebody we all believe can push us onto the next level then, everything is good  :thumbsup:

As for the Holland pre-season tour thing? We never did these trips before he was in charge (maybe we did, I can't remember) but they've been a success for everyone involved, so SURELY we would carry this on with our new gaffer?

I have no idea who I would like in charge though?

How? Have we been better prepared for the seasons we trained in Holland compared to the others?

I'm indifferent to whether he stays or goes, and that worries me. I'm pretty apathetic towards anything to do with the club at the moment and while I'm not screaming for JCs head at the moment, I'm not very happy with his management of the team at all...I just don't care either way and I'm switching off because of it.

I just hope that this is not the way that many others are feeling too, because there will come a time that as much as I love AFC and going to the football that I'll go the way of hundreds (possibly thousands) of others and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.  :-\

I'm indifferent to whether he stays or goes, and that worries me. I'm pretty apathetic towards anything to do with the club at the moment and while I'm not screaming for JCs head at the moment, I'm not very happy with his management of the team at all...I just don't care either way and I'm switching off because of it.

I just hope that this is not the way that many others are feeling too, because there will come a time that as much as I love AFC and going to the football that I'll go the way of hundreds (possibly thousands) of others and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.  :-\

This, in my opinion, is indicative of a large, and increasing, number of Dons fans, and is a big part of why I would like to see Calderwood go. If this is reflected in season ticket renewals it might force the board's hand.

I've always been pretty indifferent to be honest. Probably went to less than 10 games from 1992 to 2002.

I had more important things happening like getting off my face on LSD to getting stoned and making tunes. I still listened to the games and checked the scores. There is nothing wrong with drifting in and out of football. It's actually a bit sad that it is some people's only social outlet.

It doesn't make you more or less of a fan no matter what they say about real fans.

As soon as a game finishes and we have lost I don't get angry I just switch off and do something different. If we win I get a buzz and then go do something different.

Seriously?

The facilities in Holland for the pre-season are unbelievable though - was the same in Denmark when we went there with Ebbe. Tiny amateur clubs with immaculate training pitches and facilities such as a social club. Embarrassing for Aberdeen FC really.

If we built good training facilities we could cash in on the summer pre-season tour scene... how could we invite clubs to pre-season games with the facilities we have just now?

The equivalent of Turriff Utd/Banks of Dee had facilities better than any team outside the Infirm. Reitvigels were nothing better than a wee pub team. However I would have bitten off their hands, feet, cocks, balls, nipples and earlobes off to have a ground/training ground which they had