Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

New stadium thread

I just associate it with turning up when you require and using whatever facilities are there! Whether that be a gym or computers or some empty room.

Shame it's in such an unrequired location if there are indeed community uses.

OK, so can I just turn up at your place of work, anytime, and use the facilities for, y'know (I'm channeling Dingus here, just for effect), any old thing I would like to do in "some empty room"?

Or if you dinna work (for whatever reason) can I just come and use your TV/computer/bathroom?

:dunno:

OK, so can I just turn up at your place of work, anytime, and use the facilities for, y'know (I'm channeling Dingus here, just for effect), any old thing I would like to do in "some empty room"?

Or if you dinna work (for whatever reason) can I just come and use your TV/computer/bathroom?

:dunno:

Did none of you have a local pitch/court and/or community centre? Is that after your time or something?

Where's this 10 hectare site? What businesses does it involve buying or relocating? Do you think it's possible to cram the same size stadium, the same size car park into a space that's quite a bit smaller? How does the AWPR aid the bottleneck from traffic leaving the site via king street? (I'm guessing it probably won't)

The 10 hectare site is the driving range and adjacent cricket pitch. Both are owned by the council. Craig Group Leisure have a long term lease on the driving range. It would involve compensating Craig Group Leisure to relocate the driving range. I don't know if the shop would have to go with it, but otherwise the construction cost of moving a few signs and a teeing off area to another location around the Links wouldn't be high I would think?

Stadium and car park would be more crammed in. Lot of filler space in stadium half of Kingsford due to car park limit, replaced with extensive concourse, trees and so on.

Isn't the AWPR specifically being built to relieve congestion on Union Street and King Street and the bridges into Aberdeen?

Did none of you have a local pitch/court and/or community centre? Is that after your time or something?

We did. They were owned by the council and paid for out of the Council Tax Budget, donations and local groups occasionally hiring them at an hourly or specified rate depending on the event you were hosting.

Tuesday night football cost us 50p- £1 each for 1hr back in the 80s.

They were not privately owned or located on a private company's land.

When the council could no longer afford them they were either sold off (if the land was valuable), or handed over to the local community who set them up as registered charities (which is what happened in my home village). These charities charge for people to use their facilities otherwise they have to close them down and leave them to rot.

Some of the faciltiies at Kingsford will apparently be available for local groups to use (pitches, sports pavilion etc) but this will be at the clubs discretion.

If the people of Westhill or Kingswells want similar facilities which are 'publicly' owned then they will have to Lobby Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire Council to extend or open up a new sports centre or two

The 10 hectare site is the driving range and adjacent cricket pitch. Both are owned by the council. Craig Group Leisure have a long term lease on the driving range. It would involve compensating Craig Group Leisure to relocate the driving range. I don't know if the shop would have to go with it, but otherwise the construction cost of moving a few signs and a teeing off area to another location around the Links wouldn't be high I would think?

Stadium and car park would be more crammed in. Lot of filler space in stadium half of Kingsford due to car park limit, replaced with extensive concourse, trees and so on.

The Cricket pitch plus the Driving range is not 10 Hectares. The Current Pittodrie site is 5.5 Hectares and that would only just fit into in that space.

I would say the 10 hectares is the the driving ranges plus the Kings Links Golf Course.

In terms of compensation I take it you mean the following

1) Pay out the remaining lease to the council. Current rate-able value for the Kings links golf centre is £108,000 per year. Exactly how long is this long Term lease?.

2) Find a replacement site and pay for the construction of a New Driving Range, and the relocation of the Business. This latter used to be the way Supermarkets got hold of old Stadium sites.

Finding and purchasing a site large enough for a new driving range with modernised facilities plus construction costs - £2.5Million?

Before all this of the Club has to convince the council to sell the oldest Municipal Golf Course in the city.

Now we move onto the stadium complex. Planning rules require a specific amount of car Parking for sports stadiums and just because a kings links stadium is closer the city centre does not mean this will be relaxed.

Falkirk's new stadium has a capacity half of Pittodrie and is 15mins walk from the Train station but still required more than 600 Parking spaces.

Then there is the road infrastructure - Improvements to the Golf Road, The esplanade etc which will be made all the more complicated by the prospect of 350 new residential units being built on the Doorstep.

But the biggest headaches are the sandy soil conditions, the drainage/ flood prevention infrastructure (Kings Links is only approx 7ft above sea level). These alone could potentially double or even triple the cost of construction.

It could be done but it is by no means a cheaper alternative.

Isn't the AWPR specifically being built to relieve congestion on Union Street and King Street and the bridges into Aberdeen?

My understanding it is being built to relieve congestion throughout the city but in particular the A90 route (Anderson Drive, The Parkway and the bottle necks at the brig o dee, Haudigan and Bridge of Don rounabouts}

All trucks heading to or coming from Peterhead, Fraserburgh etc have to take this route with the Brig O'Dee being especially bad as large trucks cannot use the existing bridge.

They were not privately owned or located on a private company's land.

This is basically what I was getting at.

The Cricket pitch plus the Driving range is not 10 Hectares. The Current Pittodrie site is 5.5 Hectares and that would only just fit into in that space.

I would say the 10 hectares is the the driving ranges plus the Kings Links Golf Course.

Plus the course? Right, I've copied the whole Pittodrie site and cut it up to check this.

OvZMDvX.jpg

In terms of compensation I take it you mean the following

1) Pay out the remaining lease to the council. Current rate-able value for the Kings links golf centre is £108,000 per year. Exactly how long is this long Term lease?.

2) Find a replacement site and pay for the construction of a New Driving Range, and the relocation of the Business. This latter used to be the way Supermarkets got hold of old Stadium sites.

Finding and purchasing a site large enough for a new driving range with modernised facilities plus construction costs - £2.5Million?

Only said long term in one of the docs.

2003 planning study

mMraKbx.png

There are possibilities if people are willing and all parties involved.

Now we move onto the stadium complex. Planning rules require a specific amount of car Parking for sports stadiums and just because a kings links stadium is closer the city centre does not mean this will be relaxed.

Falkirk's new stadium has a capacity half of Pittodrie and is 15mins walk from the Train station but still required more than 600 Parking spaces.

Then there is the road infrastructure - Improvements to the Golf Road, The esplanade etc which will be made all the more complicated by the prospect of 350 new residential units being built on the Doorstep.

But the biggest headaches are the sandy soil conditions, the drainage/ flood prevention infrastructure (Kings Links is only approx 7ft above sea level). These alone could potentially double or even triple the cost of construction.

It could be done but it is by no means a cheaper alternative.

Loads of things like this needing to be done for Kingsford.

Aye he didn't come across too well, the other 3 all spoke very well though.

Had to nip out but assuming the westhill council wifey is talking shire going on twitter. Has she really claimed the community use the existing empty fields?  ::)

Councillor pulled her up on that, she's been a disaster. Asked why transport works well at other stadiums, and fans get to and from without injury...."you're comparing apples & pears"  :dunno::eek: 

The KCC blokes been just as bad, scaremongering about the dangers involved with a large number of people using stairs or being able to walk along a footpath without spilling on to a road.

If that's the arguments then we've reached new levels of madness, if folk cant be trusted to walk along a footpath or use a footbridge then there's no hope.