Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

Your last point is very valid Rico.

The issue none of us really know is the proportion of the regular attenders that live in the city itself and the proportion that come from elsewhere.  Can anyone really say with any degree of accuracy what that split would be, I doubt it.

I would think that GG's 55/45 would be reasonably accurate - the club will have those details given tickets are only available via the database these days. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they tinkered with that figure slightly to fit their agenda.

More interesting would be the number of those on their database in Aberdeenshire who don't attend games regularly. That will be their new target market.

To add: Dunty, have you seen the statements regarding safe standing at Westhill? Very non-committal for something that could easily have been defined in the planning phase (although perhaps they were vague as that might have given the WANKS more ammunition - because standers = criminals or some such). I'll be sitting doon in the poshest seats, so it winna bother me.

Two reasons were given by George Yule for safe standing not currently being in the stadium application.

Firstly, the design isn't yet complete. They don't know where it'll be going or what the capacity of the section will be.

But secondly, and more importantly, the club can't just announce they will have standing in the stadium because they have to apply for a licence (Pittodrie is currently licenced as an all-seater stadium). I'm not sure what the situation is now, but at the time the application was launched, Celtic's standing section was still on a trial basis. The government, Glasgow city council, police and the SPFL were allowing Celtic to have it for a year with a review to come at the end of the season. I'm presuming it's now the case that the trial is over and other clubs are free to install it, but they still need to apply for a licence to their local council.

I will be very surprised if, when it comes to submitting the final plans for phase two, that safe standing is not included. My fear isn't that it won't be included, my fear is the section won't be big enough.

It won't be there at all.

Based on experience (of being told shite) not just belief.

Personally I would have one end standing with flags, banners, drums and flares all welcomed and encouraged.

Then at least I could enjoy the atmosphere while hanging around the state of the art bogs.

Dunty, was it not contingent on reducing the headline capacity slightly too, which they didn't want to do? Something like 1.5 seats per standing space? That rings a bell, but it could have been based on Bayern's ground, I canna mine

Nah, I think it does. I think the capacity won't be 20K anyway - I've said as much from the start - but if it's reduced to accommodate safe standing then I've nae issue. There seems to be a "red line" for some supporters that anything below 20K is a slight on our collective manhood. Attendance-bonerism is a common problem it seems. I think it'll come in around 19K when finished.

Dunty, was it not contingent on reducing the headline capacity slightly too, which they didn't want to do? Something like 1.5 seats per standing space? That rings a bell, but it could have been based on Bayern's ground, I canna mine

Celtic's is 1:1. Can't see any regulation in the UK allowing standing sections to increase capacity.

As for the overall capacity, was posted on AFC chat that from looking closely at the current plans, it showed around 19,300 seats. The executive boxes (holds 308) and capacity of wheelchair and helpers sections pushed it to closer to 20,000. But, with seats inevitably left empty for segregation, a sell-out will always be between 19,000-19,500.

However, there's many pushing for a Pittodrie redevelopment with a reduced capacity, so strawberries and grapes.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just thinking (and especially in light of what's happened in the past 48 hours) that once the new stadium is built that the 4 stands should be named in recognition of our greatest servants. you can argue the toss about which ones to add the name to but I'd go with...

Mainer.......Gothenburg Greats Stand

Opposite side.....Sir Alex Ferguson Stand

Home end.....Willie Miller Stand

Away End....Donald Family Stand

This ensures our greatest team, manager, player and board members are remembered forever. No doubt Milne will want to claim his piece of history too. So I propose naming the onsite pub "Wiggy's"

Thoughts folks?

Was just thinking (and especially in light of what's happened in the past 48 hours) that once the new stadium is built that the 4 stands should be named in recognition of our greatest servants. you can argue the toss about which ones to add the name to but I'd go with...

This ensures our greatest team, manager, player and board members are forever remembered forever. No doubt Milne will want to claim his piece of history too. So I propose naming the onsite pub "Wiggy's"

Thoughts folks?

Dick Donald Stand. Ian was a fud.

This ensures our greatest team, manager, player and board members are remembered forever. No doubt Milne will want to claim his piece of history too. So I propose naming the onsite pub "Wiggy's"

Thoughts folks?

Sorry, I already have copyright on "The Wiggy Dome" for the stadium.  I'd call the bar "Tatties"

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Daily Record is quoted as saying we the fans have voted for a whole stand to be safe standing at our new stadium.  I've not been consulted by the club so don't know if I've missed something but personally if this was going to become a reality it wouldn't be something I'd welcome sorry but couldn't think of anything worse. 

I see the Daily Record is quoted as saying we the fans have voted for a whole stand to be safe standing at our new stadium.  I've not been consulted by the club so don't know if I've missed something but personally if this was going to become a reality it wouldn't be something I'd welcome sorry but couldn't think of anything worse.

I suspect it was a DST survey. There would be 3 other stands that are all seated though, so you needn't worry.

Why would it affect you.

Personally I would have standing, drums, smoke bombs, flares, the whole lot.

I'd sit in another part of the ground and enjoy it.

Sorry if I've picked you up wrong, but you couldn't think of anything worse than a full stand behind the goal that was standing?

What would be so bad about that?

Seebass has a disability so I’d guess it was related to that. Probably speaking from a personal perspective rather than universally. Would love an entire end dedicated to it , I’m sure we’d have plenty that would stand. It’s what makes away games vastly superior to home ones.

Maybe I'm getting old but I just like to watch my team in peace and quiet nowadays!!!  I'm all up for creating an atmosphere with something like a safe standing section but our disability isn't getting any easier to deal with older I get so keeping the spams and jerking down to a minimum is always appreciated and I think if folk are in danger of bumping into me with above idea one's leg and hand especially might be tempted to bash a few people in face for no reason!!!