Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I think I'd be more than happy if we had a cup semi (and possibly a final) to look forward to.  Our league form has been poor yet we're still in the mix for Europe, obviously because the standard of football in the spl has been rotten this season.  I can live with that.

That Dunfermline result was the real body blow.  :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd be more than happy if we had a cup semi (and possibly a final) to look forward to.  Our league form has been poor yet we're still in the mix for Europe, obviously because the standard of football in the spl has been rotten this season.  I can live with that.

We are still in a strong position in terms of the league and securing Europe but we are doing our level best to toss that away. Its only down to the poor recent performances of UTD and the stuttering form of the likes of Motherwell and Hibs that sees us there.

On the plus side, imagine being a UTD fan. You are being tipped as the best of the rest and your manager is being tarted about as the next Rangers or Scotland boss. You are told that week-in-week-out that your team is strong, consistent and can match the OF regularly. Yet you are still sitting in 5th behind an Aberdeen side who are protesting about their manager and deserting their games in droves due to the unacceptable level of football on display.

At least they get to be happy with their lot. For us, being surrounded by miserable greetin faced moanin bastards every match is nae fun  :(

Some Aberdeen fans like to talk down everything.

Getting into the top six is no achievement in itself - but you need to be in it to get Europe and push for 3rd.

Yet, JMG hot heids say that it's being celebrated at the mere mention of "top-six" and it's a sign of "loser mentaility" and "accepting mediocrity"... That's just more AFC-Chat sensationalist tabloid unintelligent black/white JMG/JIG bullshit.  I don't think anyone is "celebrating" it - not even WM or JC.

There's never a celebration for it - unless you're shitey Dundee FC that time they got into top-6 at our expense at Pittodrie.

I get irritated by JC when he lists a top six finish in each of his seasons with us as an achievement, and to be fair he does bang on about it a lot. But, as you say you have to be in it to be challenging for third come the end of the season. And if we finished outwith it there would be hell to pay, so he's kinda damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in a way. Just wish he'd stop talking about it...  :thumbsup:

I get irritated by JC when he lists a top six finish in each of his seasons with us as an achievement, and to be fair he does bang on about it a lot. But, as you say you have to be in it to be challenging for third come the end of the season. And if we finished outwith it there would be hell to pay, so he's kinda damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in a way. Just wish he'd stop talking about it...  :thumbsup:

Can't argue with that. I truly find it annoying how he lists it as an achievement, its not, its the not even the bare minimum for this club. We need to be competing for european spots (which we are at the moment) but with a bit more urgency and ferociousness, which just isn't happening. Hopefully if we get into the top 6, we'll still be challenging for fourth place as we raise our games against bigger teams... ;)

the stuttering form of the likes of Motherwell and Hibs that sees us there.

Motherwell are on a fairly good run and a draw there could be seen as, at worst, a less than destructive point. Hibs have just beaten Hearts and probably should have been a few up on United by half time. United, yes, they have been up and down like a hoors drawers.

The cup is what is annoying me now, that result against the Fifers really hurt badly. Yes JC goes on about the top six at inordinate length, it is NOT an achievement but more a kind of yardstick of consistency. That should be a given these days though and as BB says, NOT being there would mean Calderwoods books.

It's one off games in the cup and that last fucker killed me and there has to be a point where no consequences for not achieving acceptable results in our only realistic opportunities for actually WINNING something, mean you are rewarding failure.

I've been fucking gutted since that night, gutted and fucking raging. I hoped for a spark, a sign that the players were stung, that they had some sort of point to prove. Successive draws, however creditable (I haven't brought masel to watch them) in view of them being away from home against arguably teams in better form than us, has shown that hasn't really materialised.

All that said, I suspect that no-one will do a better job than the present encumbent, sad though it may be to say that. No-one mentioned as a possible by others here or elsewhere would do much, if any, better.

If I'm right, fuck knows where that leaves us.  

I guess it comes down to your understanding of the word achievement. If it is something that has been achieved then it is an achievement.

Is there an alternative word in the English language you would rather he used?

Ok then, to put it another way, there are different levels of achievement, some of which are worth talking about. Some are not.

I've been fucking gutted since that night, gutted and fucking raging. I hoped for a spark, a sign that the players were stung, that they had some sort of point to prove. Successive draws, however creditable (I haven't brought masel to watch them) in view of them being away from home against arguably teams in better form than us, has shown that hasn't really materialised.

I have pretty much pushed THAT result back to the darkened recesses of my mind now and I really want to see that we can spring back from it. I have been at both our games since then and have been craving a reaction, some sort of spark of hunger, desire or just plain balls out anger from the players. This is that bit that really fucks me up. You only have to look at guys like Mulgrew to see that either the players are not in the least bit hurt, despite what they say in the papers or they are feeling so dejected by the messages that are coming from our support/management/club/media that they have lost the will to perform. Whatever the reasons, our heads are well and truly down and the pathetic little gathering that I stood amongst at Fir Park on Saturday really reflected very badly on where we are at present. Its ugly and I don't like it.  :

There weren't many and the few that were there were very quiet until the second half. when we decided to take the game to motherwell for a bit.

The motherwell young neds crew were more entertaining than the tattie picking on the ploughed field. Normally the bus shelter is the most exciting part about going to fir park.

I remember nearly falling asleep there at the beginning of the season.

Usually I would be happy with a 6 game unbeaten run, however, I think its the manner of these draws that I find most depressing. We don't appear to be fighting for fourth place at all.

Just watched the Jambo-killie highlights because I was bored, and the commentator says, "and this win cements third place for hearts, and after the result at tannlice (ok I added that name in) moves them further away from dundee united". Whilst true, surely, since we're the third placed club, its us they are moving futher away from? Good work BBC.

Ok then, to put it another way, there are different levels of achievement, some of which are worth talking about. Some are not.

True, as was your previous post regarding damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  But I think the Top 6 finish yardstick is wheeled out for two reasons.

One - The club budget for 6th place or above don't they?  So financially that'll be what JC is judged on by the board.

Two - It's a self achievement that he can keep saying he's had us in the Top 6 since taking over.

Neither reason really gets any of us excited (although it would definitely be another story if he never made it higher than 6th!) but it's a benchmark none-the-less.

True, as was your previous post regarding damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  But I think the Top 6 finish yardstick is wheeled out for two reasons.

One - The club budget for 6th place or above don't they?  So financially that'll be what JC is judged on by the board.

Two - It's a self achievement that he can keep saying he's had us in the Top 6 since taking over.

Neither reason really gets any of us excited (although it would definitely be another story if he never made it higher than 6th!) but it's a benchmark none-the-less.

True, but it has always made me wonder if he's making signings with just "top six" in mind. I know that it's a safety net for him, as you say, he can wheel that stat out when he's up against it, but I do wonder if the continual talk of it as something to aim for has in itself hindered us.

True, but it has always made me wonder if he's making signings with just "top six" in mind. I know that it's a safety net for him, as you say, he can wheel that stat out when he's up against it, but I do wonder if the continual talk of it as something to aim for has in itself hindered us.

Or......... perhaps it's seen as a hurdle in the season.  The first real test, then past that it's time to beat the top 6 teams and aim for Europe.

But I'm not really sure we have the cash to do anything other than secure 6th place.  We're certainly not stick on for Europe each season.

I would say under JC the season has been a bit longer (not just because of the shite fitba) because we're still in the mix come the end of the season.  League-wise anyway.  Usually it was over come the split.

For me the top 6 discussion is a microcosm of the bigger problem.

3 years ago I felt positive about the idea of regular top 6 performances and the message coming from the club and its management that we aimed for it year on year was most welcome.

3 years later I'm not so turned out by the idea. To keep the enthusiasm and belief running through my veins I need to hear a new target, a new idea of progress. I'm not interested in simple stability anymore. In that 3 year period established top 6 teams like Kilmarnock and Hibs have become very weakened. So called CL finalists like Hearts have lowered there expectations markedly, Rangers have flurted regularly with the trap door into 3rd and increasingly look like a poor version of the team of 5 years ago and even Celtic are struggling to deliver quality consistently. The top of our league has softened and I want to see us take advantage of that.

I think with a good management we should be seeing 2nd as a relaistic goal with the mess Rangers are in. That may seem ridiculous but I would like to see us at least talk like we believe in it. Can this apologetic bullshit and talk with some balls.

So about the same as we had for Smeltic away a game after the debacle last year. Show's the depth of the apathy amongst the supporters at the moment, because its been a few weeks since then.

This was the first game where fans would have been making a decision about paying in to a game since the dark night we shall speak of no more. Hibs game tickets were committed in advance.

This was the first game where fans would have been making a decision about paying in to a game since the dark night we shall speak of no more. Hibs game tickets were committed in advance.

Suppose so, hadn't really thought about it like that. Our home attendance this weekend will be interesting.