Derek Young signs on for another 2 years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was unhappy he was getting a one year deal but a two year deal has got to be some sort of joke.

I can sense your blood pressure going through the roof  :lolabove:

Jimmy's obviously been told his options are limited for the next couple of years. Lets just accept the fact that Deek won't be doing the plumbing in your houses for another wee while and move on.  :P

FFuckS, do you know how many carpets are waiting to be laid in the North East?!

Edit: Never mind, Ricky Foster is getting released.

Cheap squad player using up very little resource at the club. Get over it guys. There are bigger things to get upset about surely ?

Agree, was surprised when we took him back, then changed my mind as he had a couple of good performances but that has tailed off again. If he is not costing a lot, however, keeping him is probably not a bad option given he can play (albeit not brilliantly) in a more than one position.

There are bigger things to get upset about surely ?

Aye, like the lack of first team opportunities for young players for example.

Derek Young doesn't play any positions that the great white hope Peter Pawlett can't play, I don't see the point in wasting any money regardless of how much it is, on Young when we've got the opportunity to give Pawlett more involvement to aid in his development as a player. If he's stuck behind Young (who will be 30 when his contract expires) then we risk of not seeing Pawlett's full potential.

Although we do need squad players, they still need to be of a certain standard of which Young is not. If we're going to fill our squad with cheap squad players who aren't good enough to play on a regular basis if need be, we'd be as well just using our youth team as the squad players, they couldn't do any worse and we may get lucky with one or two who come into the first team and hit the ground running.

Derek Young doesn't play any positions that the great white hope Peter Pawlett can't play, I don't see the point in wasting any money regardless of how much it is, on Young when we've got the opportunity to give Pawlett more involvement to aid in his development as a player. If he's stuck behind Young (who will be 30 when his contract expires) then we risk of not seeing Pawlett's full potential.

Clearly the weakest part of calderwoods management style is youth development.  bebo would have flourished ages ago if given more of an opportunity in a striking role as opposed to being lumped onto the wings 

Although we do need squad players, they still need to be of a certain standard of which Young is not. If we're going to fill our squad with cheap squad players who aren't good enough to play on a regular basis if need be, we'd be as well just using our youth team as the squad players, they couldn't do any worse and we may get lucky with one or two who come into the first team and hit the ground running.

All very true however I'm not entirely convinced that we have inside knowledge of the management teams decision making criteria where youth is concerned. While I agree that it would be good to see young players getting a chance there is almost no evidence to suggest that JC has made the wrong decisions about other youth players he has chosen to keep out of the first team set up. If Young is 'ahead of youth players' in the queue then its because he doesn't think they are ready for the first team. I'd be interested to hear what examples you cite to support the notion that these decisions are incorrect.

All very true however I'm not entirely convinced that we have inside knowledge of the management teams decision making criteria where youth is concerned. While I agree that it would be good to see young players getting a chance there is almost no evidence to suggest that JC has made the wrong decisions about other youth players he has chosen to keep out of the first team set up. If Young is 'ahead of youth players' in the queue then its because he doesn't think they are ready for the first team. I'd be interested to hear what examples you cite to support the notion that these decisions are incorrect.

The last Hamilton game

:lolabove: JMG!

Why should Calderwood take the risk and play youngsters. Name one player recently who has come through the AFC youth system who hasn't been given a hard time from the supporters straight away - without being given time to settle!

Even Anderson & Diamond were written off after poor early seasons, as was Maguire who folk are now raving about after last week. A fickle bunch are some Aberdeen fans who slag the fuck into new young players borne from the AFC youth setup.

Other young players that have been moved on were obviously not good enough.

Half the problem is that many fans believe the hype while the younguns are still playing under-16s games (fuck knows who generates the hype - probably eager parents - the same ones that say their kids aren't being given a chance by JC). Well, either them or buffoons like Stoney.

I reckon one more season and the youth crop will begin to yield fruit though... maybe two seasons.

Bottom line is that we have to trust that JC is not bringing in young players because they are not ready or not good enough.

I agree with you that there is always hype surrounding young players. As fans we all want to believe that our young players are going to provide the solution to our frustrations. Its so much easier to believe in the unknown than the known and we get so caught up in this notion that it seems like such a clear view. Why can't JC see it ? The answer is because he actually works with these guys and sees what they are capable of, how they approach their training, their game planning and their fellow players, how they deal with pressure and how they respond to criticism. We see none of this, we just see dreams of what might be.

As I said earlier, lets hear the evidence from those who shout for it to suggest that our current young players should be given extended runs in the team ? Lets see the list of young players who have been stifled at Aberdeen only to escape and set the footballing world alight ? Fair enough we see bad games from the current first team but while we challenge for 3rd and a cup QF is this reason to tear up the script ?

:lolabove: JMG!

Why should Calderwood take the risk and play youngsters. Name one player recently who has come through the AFC youth system who hasn't been given a hard time from the supporters straight away - without being given time to settle!

Even Anderson & Diamond were written off after poor early seasons, as was Maguire who folk are now raving about after last week. A fickle bunch are some Aberdeen fans who slag the fuck into new young players borne from the AFC youth setup.

Other young players that have been moved on were obviously not good enough.

Half the problem is that many fans believe the hype while the younguns are still playing under-16s games (fuck knows who generates the hype - probably eager parents - the same ones that say their kids aren't being given a chance by JC). Well, either them or buffoons like Stoney.

I reckon one more season and the youth crop will begin to yield fruit though... maybe two seasons.

Anderson was given stick at the start when he was playing as a right back. That stopped when he was moved to centre back. As for Diamond cannot remember him being given much stick.

Young wasn't even in the squad?

I was meaning in that game he wasnt willing to give youngsters a game even though the players on the park were rank rotten.

As I said at the time its one of two things, they are either not good enough or Calderwood is for some reason not giving them a game. My best mate who is a pars fan makes me think it is the second reason as he never liked Calderwood as he never gave youth the chance at East End Park.

I was meaning in that game he wasnt willing to give youngsters a game even though the players on the park were rank rotten.

As I said at the time its one of two things, they are either not good enough or Calderwood is for some reason not giving them a game. My best mate who is a pars fan makes me think it is the second reason as he never liked Calderwood as he never gave youth the chance at East End Park.

Think it would have been extremely unfair to give any of those youngsters the burden of trying to carry the more experienced players Mizer. Theres a fine line between giving them experience and putting a heavy weight on their shoulders.