Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

I've mostly been watching the first series of The Wire through Virgin's On Demand service.

This programme has been hyped up a lot and I really fancied it, but can't say i'm overly impressed with it. It's good enough to watch it through to the end, but there is a real cheesy feel to some of it... ie the maverick cop, the cop who has been stashed away in some back office for 20 years but it turns out he's Bergerac, Columbo and Crocket & Tubbs all rolled into one, and some of the writing is a bit too stereotypical Yank cop drama fare.

Has anyone watched the later series' at all?

It gets better and better! I do like some of the cheesy moments and i've seen 1 and 2 and have downloaded 3. Seems to be pretty good/funny already. Stick with it!

I enjoyed Prison Break. However, I reckon it has fallen victim to the philosophy of 'if it's successful, keep it going.' They are now on their fourth series, having broken out of two prisons.

Would anyone recommend watching Lost in its entirety from the start? I watched the first series, but never tuned in for the second.

I've watched it from the start and am onto the 5th series now but I think they've 'jumped the shark' at the end of the 4th.

Spend the whole time watching it trying to work out what's happening now which isn't very enjoyable but I'm so far into it now I.... must.... watch.... next.... week.... regardless....  :-\

I've watched the lot.

Season one gets better, season two is a wee bit slow but 3-5 is an absolute rampage.

I agree completely.  Watched all 5 series in about a month and it really is superb.

Heard it desrcibed as a very good book which i can completely rlate to.  Series 1 draws you in then totally hooks you after around episode 8.  THe second series is like the info building chapter and after that it's sheer genius.  Was whistiling Omar's calling card for months.

Geenration Kill by the same writers in currently on FX and is also a pretty good watch.

I've watched it from the start and am onto the 5th series now but I think they've 'jumped the shark' at the end of the 4th.

Spend the whole time watching it trying to work out what's happening now which isn't very enjoyable but I'm so far into it now I.... must.... watch.... next.... week.... regardless....  :-\

That's what they're banking on. As soon as it became un-enjoyable for me I stopped watching. Its amazing how quickly you forget that it was ever actually good.

I am kind of wishing it would just end. The wife has given up on it a couple of episodes in to season 5. Even when i said I wouldn't let her watch desperate housewives & ugly betty until she had watched the last two episodes of Lost.

Why are women so disobedient? I may have to beat her.

Yeah, the wooden handle scene was my breaking point.  I could quite easily take it or leave it now.  I'll maybe just watch the whole series in one sitting instead of spreading it out.

Generation Kill is another that I was meaning to get into.  Gold star to whoever mentioned that.  :thumbsup:

Agree it's becoming a bit of a chore watching lost, this flipping about in time thing just looks like padding to spin out the series, I'm desperate for something to happen that will actually move the story on a bit.  It has certainly lost it's momentum.

The wife watches Gray's Anatomy which is obviously only made for women, but I can tolerate it because there's a couple of decent birds in it.

Other than that, the News, Question Time, and Match of the day are the only shows I make an effort to see.

I've been watching quite a lot of 'Come Dine with Me' recently, also Masterchef.

Plus with Buzzcocks, QI, Mock the Week etc on Dave every night, there is always something to watch on an evening.

QI and Family Guy keep me going til bed time, but like most on here I fell I have to see Lost to the end.  Not really enjoying it too much but i've put in too many hours to end up not knowing what the fuck its all about.  Looking forward to Heroes though as they at least explain things along the way.

Supersize v Superskinny gets recorded too, I'm always amazed just how far some people go before they realize they're killing themselves.  

To be fair, I'm sure the first few days would be a laugh but the UK seriously lacks any diversity these days.  Take a walk down practically an highstreet and you could easily mistake it for any other city.

"Right Oz, where we drinking today?"

"How about All-Bar-One?"

"Nah, we did that yesterday, fancy a couple at or the Wetherspoons instead?"

"Aye, magic"   ;)

You clearly haven't watched the show as the above couldn't be further from the truth.

You clearly haven't watched the show as the above couldn't be further from the truth.

Exactly what I was thinking...  :thumbsup:

Just another opportunity for ST to tell us how sh*t the UK is and how we should all move to Germany Norway Sweden Denmark God knows...  ;)

Yeah, the wooden handle scene was my breaking point.  I could quite easily take it or leave it now.  I'll maybe just watch the whole series in one sitting instead of spreading it out.

Generation Kill is another that I was meaning to get into.  Gold star to whoever mentioned that.   :thumbsup:

I've Sky +'d Generation Kill but not had time to watch it yet. There are plenty of programmes I'd like to get into but I just don't have time to get into them all at the same time. I can't keep up with more than two or so epic series at once.

I'm sure if they are good enough I'll get round to it at some point, my mate has the all seasons of the The Wire on DVD so I'll have to take a month or so to watch that.

I've tolerated Lost so far, although if all the mystery keeps going on for much longer with not many answers then I'm going to give up on it.

I wish producers could put together more excellent mini-series of quality programming (such as Band of Brothers) that you can watch without too much effort. Instead they continue to take concepts which may initially be of interest but then flog the hell out of whats left of the plot just for network ratings.

ps. I've never really gotten into 24 or The Sopranos. Am I missing out and is it worth getting a shot of the boxsets?

You obviously missed the winky at the end which might have alerted you to the fact I was taking the piss.

Here's another one in reply to your post -  ::)

;D

ps. I've never really gotten into The Sopranos. Am I missing out and is it worth getting a shot of the boxsets?

Big time!