Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mackie on the move?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too much to ask for a pacey striker that hassles defenders but can also finish, dribble and pass a little? Even a tiny amount?

Mackie likes to annoy defenders, and chase down lost causes. How often has that won us a match? Mackie's good at what he does, but what he does isn't very important. I'd take a packet of Haribo and the price of his bus fare if it frees up a spot for a decent striker.

Is it too much to ask for a pacey striker that hassles defenders but can also finish, dribble and pass a little? Even a tiny amount?

Mackie likes to annoy defenders, and chase down lost causes. How often has that won us a match? Mackie's good at what he does, but what he does isn't very important. I'd take a packet of Haribo and the price of his bus fare if it frees up a spot for a decent striker.

Who would we get that is better though? Good strikers are few and far between in the SPL and we would have to pay good wages/fee for a striker.

Mackie is not a fantastic player but he and Miller seem to be playing well together and I don't think, if we get rid of him, we will be able to get in anyone who is better.

Who would we get that is better though? Good strikers are few and far between in the SPL and we would have to pay good wages/fee for a striker.

Jimmy Calderwood racks up thousands of miles each week travelling to watch games to identify signign targets. I refuse to believe that he hasn't seen at least a dozen strikers who are better football players than Darren Mackie in the last year or so.

Darren Mackie is a dreadful player and if he gets a new contract, it makes a mockery of each and every supporter who hands of his or her hard earned (or not so hard earned) money to watch us play.

If we want someone to annoy opposition defenders, give me half of Mackie's wages and I'll go round letting air out of their tyres.

I refuse to believe that he hasn't seen at least a dozen strikers who are better football players than Darren Mackie in the last year or so.

That's without a doubt.  But how many has he seen that are better than Mackie, would come to Aberdeen, and are within our budgets.

Jimmy Calderwood racks up thousands of miles each week travelling to watch games to identify signign targets. I refuse to believe that he hasn't seen at least a dozen strikers who are better football players than Darren Mackie in the last year or so.

Darren Mackie is a dreadful player and if he gets a new contract, it makes a mockery of each and every supporter who hands of his or her hard earned (or not so hard earned) money to watch us play.

If we want someone to annoy opposition defenders, give me half of Mackie's wages and I'll go round letting air out of their tyres.

:lolabove: :lolabove:

WTF the fuck.  ???

It wouldn't make a mockery of those who traipsed all the way to Dnipro!  :thumbsup:

That's without a doubt.  But how many has he seen that are better than Mackie, would come to Aberdeen, and are within our budgets.

The majority of them I'd imagine, otherwise he's completely wasting his time watching games containing players that are out of our league.

This is going to start coming across as if I've got it in for Mackie.

I accept he does ok some of the time, but this is part of our problem we are prepared to accept someone like Mackie doing alright some of the time. If we continue to accept mediocrity like this then we're never going to move to the next level. I accept that he is ok for backup, but our playing budget doesn't allow for a massive squad and genuinely think, regardless of his wage, it could potentially be better spent on a.n.other.

Anyone planning on going to Mackie's testimonial if he's still here next season  ???

In a similar way I don't think Mackie will leave Pittodrie unless he is forced out, and certainly not for a side-ways move to the likes of Blackpool and Coventry.  I would imagine we could keep him for relatively little and would certainly be worth keeping as a squad player regardless of his merits as a first team starter or not

Having sat in front of Billy Davies in corporate today, mi'd be surprised if he followed up his interest in our Darren. He wasn't especaially impressed with what he saw. Although, i did laugh when he remarked "that Diamond looks like he thinks he's a player. I'd be surprised if he does anything today." He left as Brown was picking the 4th out of the net...