Mackie on the move?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would gladly take the same as we got for Chris Clark this time last year :thumbsup:

However, taking all of this with a pinch of salt and sense it could be agent talk to force AFC's hand.

In all honesty can anyone think of a game recently where a scout could of watched Mackie and walked away thinking we've got to get that guy ???

Would gladly take the same as we got for Chris Clark this time last year :thumbsup:

However, taking all of this with a pinch of salt and sense it could be agent talk to force AFC's hand.

In all honesty can anyone think of a game recently where a scout could of watched Mackie and walked away thinking we've got to get that guy ???

Hearts at home, Caley away, Hearts away, Dundee Utd away, they're just off the top of my head.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd rather Mackie stayed. His goal ratio isn't great but he does add pace and aggression to our front line. Add to that he's very direct and imo causes a lot of defences problems with his running and positioning.

Obviously the fact it originated in the Sun means it's likely a lot of pish, but would be interesting to see how folk would react to it. I remember a lot of folk saying we missed Chris Clark once he left, despite all and sundry labelling him shite, a pussy etc.  Wonder if it would be the same with old Barren...?

Hearts at home, Caley away, Hearts away, Dundee Utd away, they're just off the top of my head.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd rather Mackie stayed. His goal ratio isn't great but he does add pace and aggression to our front line. Add to that he's very direct and imo causes a lot of defences problems with his running and positioning.

In fairness Ally, I'll certainly give you the Hearts game just after Xmas, as one of Mackie's better performances for us, but as to whether I'd stretch that to walking away thinking I've got to sign that guy, thats another matter ;)

Folk go on about Mackie's pace, I'll admit he has got pace, but it certainly isn't what it used to be, and I'll give you the aggression part. He certainly does seem to have devloped a nasty streak to his game. Sorted that little fucker out at Rugby Park on Tuesday night

Put in a great near post cross for Miller on Tuesday when he was playing outwide on the right.

I'll concede that as well, but not convinced he really did that much else. Weigh that up against his number of one on one misses, free header v Hamilton etc

And his thunderous 1 yarder off the bar against Alloa. This is all pish and posturing probably from agents see also Boydpen K. Our Darren simply isn't a very good footballer, I appreciate what he can do though and would much prefer he stayed.

Surely not if it kept a proper footballer out of the team  ???

A proper footballer? Not everyone in the team can be blessed with the skill of a Nicholas or a Hackett Al, Mackie does an excellent job.

This is going to start coming across as if I've got it in for Mackie.

I accept he does ok some of the time, but this is part of our problem we are prepared to accept someone like Mackie doing alright some of the time. If we continue to accept mediocrity like this then we're never going to move to the next level. I accept that he is ok for backup, but our playing budget doesn't allow for a massive squad and genuinely think, regardless of his wage, it could potentially be better spent on a.n.other.

Anyone planning on going to Mackie's testimonial if he's still here next season  ???

I accept he does ok some of the time, but this is part of our problem we are prepared to accept someone like Mackie doing alright some of the time. If we continue to accept mediocrity like this then we're never going to move to the next level. I accept that he is ok for backup, but our playing budget doesn't allow for a massive squad and genuinely think, regardless of his wage, it could potentially be better spent on a.n.other.

Anyone planning on going to Mackie's testimonial if he's still here next season  ???

I would go I wouldn't want the wee soul to get a poor turnout  ;D

Agree with you there Al. I think the problem probably goes a bit deeper than just Mackie though. Until Aluko was playing up front, the choices to partner Miller were Maguire or Mackie.  The two of them are just different shades of shit, as far as I'm concerned and I'd probably pick Mackie out the two.  JC then said at one point earlier in the season that for the next "X" matches his front two would be Miller and Oor Barren.

Now, if that's the case, it shows Mackie that he can play badly and still be picked, conversely, if he scores a couple he'll also still be picked. If we got a genuinely decent striker in to partner Miller, I wouldn't mind if Mackie hung around as backup, but as a first choice striker he's certainly hampering us. 

I'll concede that as well, but not convinced he really did that much else. Weigh that up against his number of one on one misses, free header v Hamilton etc

That was a pretty piss poor cross mizer. Made Millers goal look better though.

And you have the audacity to call me negative  ::)

And you have the audacity to call me negative  ::)

I've praised you for your positivity lately (no pun intended) Mizer.

I play football and if that was a cross I received from a winger under no pressure at all i'd be fuming. Made the goal all that more remarkable that he managed to convert it.

Moi, Bobo, or baith of us  ???

Didnt mean to quote you there min, sorry  :thumbsup:

I've praised you for your positivity lately (no pun intended) Mizer.

I play football and if that was a cross I received from a winger under no pressure at all i'd be fuming. Made the goal all that more remarkable that he managed to convert it.

Why with the negativity to your winger, encourage him and you may get the ball you want the next time  :thumbsup: