Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alloa

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/76/4c/0,,10284~5065846,00.jpg[/img]

For the Aberdeen team on Saturday there will be one very familiar face in the opposition line up on Saturday. Kyle Macaulay was with the Dons from 2005-2007 and was a very popular figure at the club. As well as a good footballer, the midfielder was an extremely bright lad and after a short spell at Peterhead he moved south to return to full time education, while playing part-time with Alloa.

RedWeb spoke with Kyle to find out how life has treated him post Pittodrie. "I am currently at Stirling University studying History and Sports Science. I am based in Glasgow and it is a good life. I am in my first year so my work load is still relatively light although I know that is going to change. I train two nights a week so the football and the studying sit well together while the manager is also very flexible as he knows my studies are important.

"I feel very fortunate because the football helps pay for me to go through University.

"After being released by Aberdeen in 07 I joined Peterhead until the end of that season. I suffered a bad ankle injury and I really needed to get it sorted before I could commit to playing again. When I moved down the road Alloa came in for me and offered me treatment on my ankle. Once the injury was a bit better I soon got my fitness back again and I started playing for them at the end of January, beginning of February last year. Things went really well and we made the play-offs but unfortunately it was not to be."

Clyde dramatically beat Alloa in extra time 6-5 on aggregate over two legs to progress to the play-off final. Kyle at Aberdeen

They way it worked out with the Gretna situation, if we had beaten Clyde that would have been good enough for us to get promoted. Apart from that real low, it was not a good way to get beaten, it has still been a very enjoyable time and there is a good atmosphere at the club. There is a good group of guys here.

This season though has been a struggle for Alloa and they currently lie in second bottom position although the league is still very tight. "I think we over achieved a bit last season but in the summer we strengthened the squad and with the position we finished I think we just assumed that we would be up there again. As is often the case in football things do not work out like that. I believe we will have a better second half of the season but it is going to be hard to even get up into fourth spot for a play-off place"

Alloa and Aberdeen will play each other for the fifth time in Scottish cup on Saturday and it is a game all the Alloa players are looking forward to.

"The fourth round draw was made before our replay with Raith. Because we were aware of the potential game against Aberdeen I think that put the boys under more pressure and made us a bit nervous because we knew there was a great tie at the end of it. When we did get though it made the win even more enjoyable, it was a great feeling.

"The team have not really spoken too much about the Aberdeen game before this week. But we can now legitimately talk about the match and give it our 100% concentration. Everyone is very excited about the fixture and really looking forward to it.

"Despite our league position we are a decent side. There are quite a number of good players. Brown Ferguson from midfield scored the two goals to get us through the last round, Andy Scott and Andy Ferguson up front are also players the Dons will need to watch closely."

So does Kyle think the Wasps have a chance?!

"When you look at it in the cold light of day we are struggling in the 2nd Division and Aberdeen are up the top end of the SPL, playing well. So on paper we have no chance. Also we do not have a muddy pitch to act as a leveller, which is often the case in cup ties at this time of year. We know that we are going to have to play very very well, and Aberdeen will have to have a serious off day. Sometimes though in football strange things happen. All we can do is go out and make sure individually we put in the best performance we can."

Despite being released by the current management team at Pittodrie with many thinking he was not given a proper chance to prove himself, Kyle shows not bitterness towards the club.

"I am still friendly with some of the players and good friends with Richard (Foster).I have a lot of time for a lot of people at Aberdeen. I enjoyed my spell at Pittodrie and respect the coaches. I want to go out on Saturday and play well because it a Scottish cup tie, it is a big game for us, not because I have any carry any grudges."