Jimmy Bonthrone 204 96 47%

Dave Halliday 436 206 47%

Dave Shaw 196 94 48%

Eddie Turnbull 291 140 48%

Ian Porterfield 89 44 49%

Alex Smith / Jock Scott 178 93 52%

Alex Ferguson 455 271 60%

Billy McNeill 50 31 62%

All that the above shows is that since Alex Smith got binned (which, lets be honest, we've been a shambles ever since - for many reasons) he has a better managerial record than all managers since, apart from Willie Miller.

Pele and Skovdahl's records above are absolutely deplorable.

I’ve read some shite in my time but that’s up there, it really is.  If you can find any proof of that I’d be shocked, stunned and amazed.

Its not hard, you put two semi finals into the search bit:

[quote author=??? link=topic=6207.msg91125#msg91125 date=1222972850]

4th in the league, two semi-finals, last 32 of the UEFA, and the first season in God knows how long that we made a profit, is a vast improvement from the previous year in my opinion.

Which makes it all the more remarkable that we finished 3rd and 4th in the SPL, two CUP semi finals, and the last 32 of the UEFA cup.

last season we got to two semi finals, and finished 4rth

Adam does seem to bang on about more than anyone - I think that speaks volumes  :thumbsup:

Adam does seem to bang on about more than anyone - I think that speaks volumes  :thumbsup:

Clutching at straws.

Note that I said "and the last 32 of the UEFA cup".  ::):wave:  and I never used the words "great season" either, and neither did any else you've quoted.  ::)

Clutching at straws.

Note that I said "and the last 32 of the UEFA cup".  ::):wave:  and I never used the words "great season" either, and neither did any else you've quoted.  ::)

I cant be bothered to go back and look at the context of your bit but you do say it was remarkable + ST asked for any proof, and that proves people have used it.

I’ve read some shite in my time but that’s up there, it really is.  If you can find any proof of that I’d be shocked, stunned and amazed.

The league standings aren’t decided by your resources, money, debt, support or otherwise.  If so then we’d let accountants do some sums at the start of the season and then we can all sit and look at a bonny list of 12 teams which mean fuck all in the way of football.

Meanwhile, back in the real world:  22 blokes run around on a field with 1 making strange decisions that influence the game in weird and mysterious ways that nobody can really quite fathom.  Anything can happen during those 90 minutes and if you multiply that by the number of games in a season then it’s just about anybodies guess.

The reason is that these startling resources you and Stoney keep banging on about are fuck all in comparison to the other teams out with the O.F.  “But Calderwood has spent X, Y, Z in the past 1, 2, 3 seasons………..blah-dee-blah!â€.  Well guess what, he’s fucking had to as we were the laughing stock of the SPL.  Not the Dundee that’s now fucked, the Motherwell who was minutes from switching the lights off, not the Lego factory workers halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow.  Us.  We were being managed

We were being managed by a man who had MADE IN CHINA stamped on his arse, had a flower that squirted water pinned to his lapel, chain smoked on the touchline and made funny remarks about our heavy defeats.  The next one was too hungover to manage all that or even manage the team so he had a kip in the boot of a car and someone drove off to the scrap yard without knowing he was there.

Nobody is saying this is where we want to be, nobody is lapping in the glory of semi finals, I'd very much doubt anyone of these JIG's that you bang on about think JC is the 'special one' but he's certainly a step in the right direction if you ask me.  We've made a profit for the first time in a decade, we're actually selling players for hard cash, we're no longer ashamed to tell people who we support, we're no longer expecting a humping from anyone (although defeats happen from time to time) and we're no longer the sinking ship that we once were.

My biggest gripe is that we don't seem to build on our successes and it's back to square one each season.  That and having to read your pish about how we're in shite-state and that it's all doom and gloom.  As for Stoney, he puts more into our rival's coffers than he does to AFC so I just find his ramblings about our shite players ridiculous.

JMG?  JIG?  No, Jimmy is the manager of our team and until he stops improving us each season then I don’t see any reason to ask for his head.

Good post, but a few points I'd take issue with.

Your last two points seem a little contradictory. Yes, we end up back at square one each season, but you say this is no problem as long as we continue to improve each season...surely there we can see one particular area of frustration among many. We're not as shite as we used to be, theres little doubt about that, but this inability to provide even a slightly better team year upon year leads me, and others surely, to wonder if we could perhaps be any better...

Equally, the emboldened part is certainly true, but the longer we continue to see a lack of progression makes it more and more likely that this particular step has been taken. Let's face it, the SPL is of poor standard this season, 3rd place is certainly there for the taking and such an aim can hardly be considered unrealistic. Why are we, even at this stage of the season, left with an uphill struggle to achieve this?

I agree it's not all doom and gloom, there have been far worse times in the last 10 years. But, as you point out, we've drawn clear of those days, yet it is also clear are not progressing any further under Calderwood. Why shouldn't we expect improvements above and beyond this, of which I imagine this club is clearly capable of?

Good post, but a few points I'd take issue with.

Your last two points seem a little contradictory. Yes, we end up back at square one each season, but you say this is no problem as long as we continue to improve each season...surely there we can see one particular area of frustration among many. We're not as shite as we used to be, theres little doubt about that, but this inability to provide even a slightly better team year upon year leads me, and others surely, to wonder if we could perhaps be any better...

Equally, the emboldened part is certainly true, but the longer we continue to see a lack of progression makes it more and more likely that this particular step has been taken. Let's face it, the SPL is of poor standard this season, 3rd place is certainly there for the taking and such an aim can hardly be considered unrealistic. Why are we, even at this stage of the season, left with an uphill struggle to achieve this?

I agree it's not all doom and gloom, there have been far worse times in the last 10 years. But, as you point out, we've drawn clear of those days, yet it is also clear are not progressing any further under Calderwood. Why shouldn't we expect improvements above and beyond this, of which I imagine this club is clearly capable of?

Good balanced post.

You haven't mentioned money anywhere though.

Not a stat worth looking at - too many variables - budgets, quality of opposition, weather, bias of referees, etc, etc

ok, so basically the past doesn't matter?  All we should judge JC on is the here and now? Previous seasons don't count? 

I don't buy that but say we do just ignore history surely JC should be judged on his team's performance this season.  In that case he is currently failing.  We have lost too many points at home and have been embarrassingly pumped out the diddy cup by killie.  The league seems very open, with no real stand outs, yet we are trailing the jambos and arabs by a significant margin.  We have a glaring, russel anderson sized, hole in our defence and our best midfielder is continuously played out of position which at once weakens both the midfield and defence. We should be in a better position this season, that we're not has to go down, at least in part to JC.

On the other hand the league is very tight and we are still in a good position to challenge for europe (presumably our ultimate aim these days).  We have seen a good run of results can push us up the table very quickly and hearts and united will drop points just like we have.

So, and I don't think I thought this way when I started typing, JC should be judged on the results at the end of the season.  Failure to get into Europe, which will probably mean failure to get top 5, could, maybe should, see the end of him. Until then he deserves a chance to show us what he can do.

So, and I don't think I thought this way when I started typing, JC should be judged on the results at the end of the season.  Failure to get into Europe, which will probably mean failure to get top 5, could, maybe should, see the end of him. Until then he deserves a chance to show us what he can do.

I think that probably sums things up for me perfectly. If we do fail there, then I don't believe Calderwood or any of his more vocal supporters could really argue with him leaving.  I think he does deserve this time to be afforded to him.

I think that probably sums things up for me perfectly. If we do fail there, then I don't believe Calderwood or any of his more vocal supporters could really argue with him leaving.  I think he does deserve this time to be afforded to him.

Completely agree. I'm pretty hopeful that we'll finish in the top 4 despite predicting we'd finish 5th at the start of the season. Mid season is no the time to change managers. Especially one that has ensured us good finishes at the end of each season. I don't have a lot of time of JC, but I want him to succeed at the club and know if he keeps his head screwed on he could be successful.

The only person speaking volumes on here at the moment is you, and as usual it's a lot of moaning drivel that's coming out of your mouth.  Some of the sh*t posted in this thread by yourself and Stoney is beyond laughable.

I think you'll note that I say it's a vast improvement from the previous year, along with our league finish, the UEFA cup run and the fact we made a profit.  :wave:  How many clubs of our ilk can say the same?  Very few I guess...

At no point have I ever said last year was a great season, what I have said however was that it was a marked improvement finishing in the top half of the league and having three decent cup runs.

What would have made it a great year last season was a cup win, however we just didn't have the squad to do it.

As I've said elsewhere on this board, the next step for the team is to be in contention for Europe every year, if not qualifying (a distinct possibility seeing as the top four qualify now - I think), to make cup finals and hopefully win a trophy or two, and to beat Rangers at f*cking Ibrox.

Another massive plus would be to retain our better players for a considerable length of time, whilst adding quality every year.  Our biggest problem in the last couple of seasons has been losing our best players.

Once all this is in place, then we can start moaning if we're not playing football similar to that of Brazil 1970/Arsenal 2004/Man United 2008/Barcelona 2006/Hibs every season...  Until then, all that matters is results.

I'm not from the JIG mob or from the JMG mob.  I doubted him when he first came in but he's proved me wrong and done a lot right for the club.  Right now, I think he's the right man for the job and until we start slipping down the league and finish at the wrong end of the table, then I see no reason to get rid of him.

I honestly don't as I thought (in my negative style  :thumbsup:) that we would beat Utd and QotS, and then in the final its anyone's game.

I would hazard a guess that he means that we don't have a big/good enough squad to maintain consistent high standards.

Everyone would admit we should have beaten QotS, but by the same token, should Bayern have drawn with us? Unfortunately, it's just the way it goes sometimes.

But that squad put Celtic out of the scottish cup, drew with Bayern Munich & lokomotiv Moscow and thumped Copenhagen.......

I honestly don't as I thought (in my negative style  :thumbsup:) that we would beat Utd and QotS, and then in the final its anyone's game.

I'd say it's fairly obvious what I meant, however seeing as you can't seem to understand the simplest point...

The squad wasn't good enough, the facts are there for all to see.  On our day we could compete with some pretty good teams, but by the same token we could easily get horsed by supposedly inferior opposition.

In games like the draw with Bayern and the Copenhagen win, we needed every player on the pitch to perform at the top of their game and hope that some of the opposition had an off game.  On top of that, you need to take every chance that you get, no matter how few.  The Copenhagen game, especially, was a freak result where every time we broke forward you just knew it was going to be a goal (the same goes for Man Utd when they beat Roma 7-1).

The same is said, but in reverse, when you talk about the QOTS semi.  Every one of their players performed out of their skin, some of our players had an off-day, and they capitalised on every mistake we made.  Just like the Copenhagen game, every time they got in our box we knew they'd score. 

This doesn't happen for a single reason (i.e the manager isn't solely to blame  :thumbsup:), but for a variety of reasons explained above.  Couple that with the fact that we've not got a great deal of top quality players in our squad, then you'll continually get these freak results.  A handful of decent players will win you games, by the same token if they play poorly there's a chance you'll get turned over.

Using your logic, we should've reached the UEFA cup final as we beat Rangers and they managed to get there.  This logic is similar to that of a primary school child.

"We beat Rangers 4-1, and Rangers beat Dundee 6-0, so that means we should score 10 against Dundee"

Football isn't as simple as that.

To be fair to him, he doesn't always post shite  :thumbsup:

;)

I'd say it's fairly obvious what I meant, however seeing as you can't seem to understand the simplest point...

The squad wasn't good enough, the facts are there for all to see.  On our day we could compete with some pretty good teams, but by the same token we could easily get horsed by supposedly inferior opposition.

In games like the draw with Bayern and the Copenhagen win, we needed every player on the pitch to perform at the top of their game and hope that some of the opposition had an off game.  On top of that, you need to take every chance that you get, no matter how few.  The Copenhagen game, especially, was a freak result where every time we broke forward you just knew it was going to be a goal (the same goes for Man Utd when they beat Roma 7-1).

The same is said, but in reverse, when you talk about the QOTS semi.  Every one of their players performed out of their skin, some of our players had an off-day, and they capitalised on every mistake we made.  Just like the Copenhagen game, every time they got in our box we knew they'd score. 

This doesn't happen for a single reason (i.e the manager isn't solely to blame  :thumbsup:), but for a variety of reasons explained above.  Couple that with the fact that we've not got a great deal of top quality players in our squad, then you'll continually get these freak results.  A handful of decent players will win you games, by the same token if they play poorly there's a chance you'll get turned over.

Using your logic, we should've reached the UEFA cup final as we beat Rangers and they managed to get there.  This logic is similar to that of a primary school child.

"We beat Rangers 4-1, and Rangers beat Dundee 6-0, so that means we should score 10 against Dundee"

Football isn't as simple as that.

;)

I understand your logic, but is it not somewhat concerning that we folded so gutlessly in not one but two semi-finals? Responding to pressure in that way is not a trait any of us would want to see in an Aberdeen side...

Disclaimer: I, like most others, am neither a JIG or JMG  ;)

we sold / released all our good players and havnt really replaced anyone.

Surprisingly I'd agree with that. But its clear for all to see that this has been a problem, but a good start was signing Aluko on a permanent deal. I also think Kerr was a good signing and have hopes for Macdonald in the future. But we haven't replaced Hart and Anderson which are two key areas. Hodgkiss is all very well in the short term, but we need our own right back. I'm still unsure whether or not Seve deserves a place in the team after how he's played for a few years now. I certainly don't want him at the back, but I he definitely doesn't have the pace for the midfield anymore. But then we have the problem of who would replace him, as no-one else has any real bite in the midfield.