Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

No fit strikers left

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/943704

LEE MILLER’S late call-up for international duty has left Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood with a potential attacking headache for Saturday.

Miller’s selection for the Scotland squad for tomorrow’s friendly with Argentina leaves Calderwood with no fit forwards in training this week as Chris Maguire is with the Scotland under-21s and both Tommy Wright and Darren Mackie are injured.

Wright is suffering from an ankle injury, while the extent of Mackie’s hamstring strain, which forced him off at half-time in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Hibernian, has yet to be established.

With Jamie Smith also injured, Calderwood is short of attacking options as he prepares for Saturday’s trip to Ibrox to face Rangers.

He said: “It’s great news for Lee and Chris. I hope both do well but it is fingers crossed time for me.

“We have a big game on Saturday at Ibrox and, with Tommy Wright out and Darren Mackie struggling with a hamstring injury, I will be hoping both Lee and Chris come back unscathed from international duty.

“It’s part-and-parcel of the game and I would never stand in the way of players representing their country but, as a club manager, I will be hoping they come back fit for training on Thursday.â€

Miller’s late call comes due to the withdrawal of Steven Fletcher and Kenny Miller and Calderwood has urged his forward to make the most of his opportunity

He said: “It’s fabulous for Lee and thoroughly deserved. He has become so important to the way we play and while he would like to have a few more goals this season there can be no criticism of his contribution to the team.

“He is a gem of a lad to work with and I have told him once he gets himself in the squad it is up to him to stay there. He needed a break and he has got it with a few having to withdraw due to injury.â€

While Miller and Maguire concentrate on Scotland affairs, their club manager has been left focusing on what went wrong at Easter Road on Saturday. Despite leading 2-0, the Dons let their advantage slip, conceding an injury-time equaliser, and Calderwood admits his players were guilty of not trying to run down the clock.

He said: “I have calmed down a bit since Saturday but I am still very disappointed at the way the game went. We had a corner in injury time and, instead of keeping possession, we were defending in our own penalty box 10 seconds later. It was kids stuff from us at the end.

“When you are in front in a game and time is running out you should be keeping hold of the ball and we didn’t. We learned the hard way on Saturday and, hopefully, it won’t be repeated.â€

Think that settles the Aluko striker debate  :thumbsup: