Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tommy Wright to reach fitness by Christmas..............??

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/909512

ABERDEEN fans were today warned it could be Christmas before they see the best of Tommy Wright.

Sections of the Red Army have questioned why Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood splashed out £75,000 on the striker – only to leave him on the bench.

But Calderwood is convinced the striker will still be a Pittodrie hit.

“I have seen enough of Tommy Wright to know he will be a very good player for Aberdeen,†he said.

“We haven’t seen what Tommy is capable of, but he has to get match fit first.

“Unfortunately he missed pre-season and could not do the training sheet I gave the players in the summer, so it was a double whammy for him.

“It is very difficult to come back from that because you are always fighting against the tide

“If you do not have that fitness you tend to play a game, then you are injured for two. It is a vicious circle.

“But Tommy is working his socks off in training and after Christmas, we will finally see him at his best.â€

The 24-year-old has started just one game since his transfer from Darlington.

That ended in disaster, as a bizarre hand-ball from Wright gifted Dundee United a winning penalty in a 1-0 loss.

“This has been a difficult time for Tommy because he has always been first choice at a club, even when out on loan,†said Calderwood.

“It is hard for the lad to come up here and have to sit on the bench.

“But Tommy is a great lad, his attitude is fantastic, he is battling away in training and is a positive influence in the dressing room.â€

Since his arrival from Darlington the striker has been no stranger to run-ins with referees.

Dons chiefs even feared the ex Leicester City front-man was being victimised by referees. And Calderwood reckons he must also alter his style to flourish in the SPL.

“After playing for so long down in England, Tommy has a certain way of protecting himself,†said Calderwood.

“He goes in with his arms up and people tend to back into his elbows.

“That is the way he played in England, but you cannot get away with that up here. Tommy has to learn that.â€

This is confusing me, he has been here for 2 months and he isnt at his peak fitness? Even though he never got his sheet I'm sure he wasnt that unfit!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/909512

This is confusing me, he has been here for 2 months and he isnt at his peak fitness? Even though he never got his sheet I'm sure he wasnt that unfit!

He had an injury so didn't train at all over the summer. Footballers normally have intensive fitness training until the end of September, while the rest of the season they tend to do a lot more technique related training. Can understand that he would be behind fitness wise, but Christmas maybe does seem a bit much.

He had an injury so didn't train at all over the summer. Footballers normally have intensive fitness training until the end of September, while the rest of the season they tend to do a lot more technique related training. Can understand that he would be behind fitness wise, but Christmas maybe does seem a bit much.

He also doesn't really look the most naturally fit lad in the world. Some guys just need to work harder to get to peak fitness than others.

He also doesn't really look the most naturally fit lad in the world. Some guys just need to work harder to get to peak fitness than others.

Aye I think he could be described as 'tank'. Some players while looking unfit just have 'it' (Deano being an example). Hopefully Tommy comes into his own and gets some goals.

hes an idiot, a liability, thats already cost us, despite the fact hes hardly played, why is he such a hero?! and people like mackie and foster who have actually shown a bit of respect to the club get absolute pelters.

He's an idiot and a liability and you know that despite him having hardly played?

Who made him a hero?

Some folk are just not happy unless they can get pissed off about something they imagined.

he seems to have no discipline, hes been booked numerous times, even in reserve games, he got booked within minutes the other day?! he does the same wen he comes on?!...that handball (what was that about?! pointless) and to be fair, above all else, he looks crap! nothing on miller, therefore a waste of money as they cant play together.  Basically another terrible piece of business, i mean we actually paid a fee?!.....nonsense, surely we'll at least make that back in fines!

hope im wrong...but we'll see

Aye I think he could be described as 'tank'. Some players while looking unfit just have 'it' (Deano being an example). Hopefully Tommy comes into his own and gets some goals.

Didn't and doesn't Deano train every day? I know what your saying though. Just a naturally big guy.

As for the intensive fitness thing why isn't Tommy doing this know as surely what the players do during the season is only maintaining their fitness.

Didn't and doesn't Deano train every day? I know what your saying though. Just a naturally big guy.

As for the intensive fitness thing why isn't Tommy doing this know as surely what the players do during the season is only maintaining their fitness.

I don't think he did with us. Do you not remember how big he was, compared to what he is now? Shearer was faster than him and big Dunc was several years older and I thought a few stone heavier as well.

• 9 months later...

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1335962

Tommy recovering after surgery

Published: 03/08/2009

ABERDEEN FC striker Tommy Wright is recovering after surgery on the knee injury he suffered during the club’s trip to Austria.

Wright, has been plagued by injuries since joining Aberdeen FC at the start of last season.

It’s not known at this stage how long the former Darlington man will be sidelined.