Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure tbh

We were beginning to build a wee bit of momentum.  You'd think they might have a friendly arranged at some point in the next 2 weeks

Like the testimonial we're playing in next week  ???

Aluko wasn't great at tracking back but he had improved immensely by the end of the season and he is supposed to be a striker after all...

Like the testimonial we're playing in next week  ???

we're playing in a testimonial?

Delighted by this. Big Eck still cares about us ;) Must be some sort of clause as well but right now im not fussed. wonder what his number will be as Pawlett's got 26 for this season. As soon as i find out im getting it for one of the replicas i bought

Dons swoop for Aluko on transfer deadline day

By Paul Third

Published: 02/09/2008

Aberdeen last night brought Sone Aluko back to Pittodrie on a permanent basis from Championship side Birmingham for a £50,000 fee.

The Dons had missed out on a loan move for Aluko in August when he joined Blackpool on a one-month loan deal.

When the player returned to St Andrews yesterday, Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood and director of football Willie Miller moved quickly to sign him on a three year agreement.

Calderwood was delighted at the capture of the winger, who can also play up front.

He said: “It is great for the club, the supporters, the manager and the player.

“I look at the games we have played this season and we have lacked that little bit of creativity which is what Sone will give us.

“He wanted to make a go of it at Birmingham but they sent him on loan to Blackpool until September 4 which meant we would not have been able to get him on loan here.

“That left us with buying him as our only option and when Sone called me to say he was not enjoying it, we pulled out the stops to get him here.

“We have some excellent young players here in Zander Diamond, Andrew Considine and Chris Maguire, and Sone will add to that. It bodes well for the future but I also think it signals our intent for this season.â€

A product of the Birmingham youth system, Aluko made his first-team debut at City on August 28, 2007, joining the Dons on loan three days later. He played 20 games for Aberdeen, scoring three times, before returning south at the end of last season.

Calderwood had hoped to add another player to the ranks but one loan move has had to be postponed.

The Dons manager said: “We had agreed a deal to take a player here but it fell through on Friday when the player was ruled out for a month due to injury.

“We are still keen on the lad and we have the opportunity to bring him here in January when the window opens again.â€

The return of Aluko was the only arrival on transfer deadline day, with Brechin City failing in a bid to take Dons striker Michael Paton on loan.

The 19-year-old had a spell at Glebe Park last season, scoring four goals in 17 appearances for the Second Division club, but Calderwood told Brechin manager Michael O’Neill he wants to keep Paton at the club.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/817584

Sone was begging for return to Dons

Phone call sealed Pittodrie move

By Charlie Allan

Published: 02/09/2008

SONE Aluko underlined his commitment to the Dons by pleading for the chance to return to Pittodrie.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood today admitted he is “chuffed to bits†to have secured winger Aluko for three years in a £50,000 deal from Birmingham City.

He admitted he thought the chances of Aluko returning were dead when the England youth international joined Blackpool on loan last month.

Aluko resurrected things by making a phone call to Calderwood hours after their recent 1-1 draw with Rangers at Pittodrie.

Calderwood said : “Sone’s first words were ‘is there any way you can get me back up the road gaffer?’

“It’s the best phone call I’ve had in years.

“It’s the first time since I became Aberdeen manager that a player has actually come on and pleaded to be signed.

“It was a no-brainer as far as we were concerned.

“We began work on the deal immediately and I’m pleased things worked out for us in the end.â€

Registration rules meant the Dons were unable to take Aluko on loan again.

The Dons boss is delighted directors agreed to let him splash out a fee to persuade Birmingham to part with the 19 year-old.

The Dons refused to state the fee but City confirmed it as £50,000.

Calderwood said: “It was a modest fee by English standards, but a lot of money for us.

“I’m happy the directors found a way of getting things done.

“I also appreciate the help Alex McLeish gave us after Sone made it clear he was desperate to come back to Pittodrie.â€

Aluko will rejoin his team-mates when they return for training on Thursday.

Calderwood said: “I’m sure they are as excited as I am that Sone is coming back.

“He brings extra creativity to the side and will get even better over the next three years.â€

Calderwood had to drop plans to sign a defender on loan from Manchester City because the player suffered an injury.

That deal could be revived when the transfer window re-opens in January.

The Dons knocked back a bid from Brechin City to take striker Michael Paton on loan again.

Former keeper Derek Soutar joined Ross County and freed Irish defender Richie Byrne has gone to Oldham.

What struck me about reading the news of this was the bit about how Aluko phoned Jimmy to say "I don't like it here at Blackpool. Can you sort something out for me to come back to Pittodrie?"

So Jimmy phoned McLeish to ask if we could get him on-loan, to which McLeish said "no, but you can buy him for fifty grand".

Fuckin dancer! A player with bags of talent who WANTS to play for Aberdeen!

Based on that alone, every fan should really get behind the lad.  Not very often we hear of a player from outside Aberdeen really wanting to play for the club.  :thumbsup:

Completely agree. I am chuffed to bits with this, didn't have internet last night so the text from topcorner came from no-where! Cannot believe this, just the lift the supporters needed, hopefully the club will flog a few more season tickets now!  :thumbsup:

Can't believe he actually phoned JC up, amazing, words cannot express how happy I am to see a player actually wanting to come back to Pittodrie. Good luck Sone!

Sone Aluko, tra la la la la,

Sone Aluko, tra la la la la la  :thumbsup:

Just to put this back into perspective for some of you:  We've signed a young lad who showed glimpses of talent but still has a long way to go to being the hero that some seem to be touting him as.

Granted, but, its fan-fucking-tastic that we have signed a player with enormous potential, some of which we've seen in a few games he played for us. A player none of us thought we'd ever see at Pittodrie again and a player that fits into our side perfectly. Time will tell, but this is a major boost for the club/fans and I think the club should be applauded for it.  :thumbsup:

The whole situation reminds me of some lad dumping his bird for what seemed a more attractive girl, only then to realise he isn't getting it as good as he used to and theres something missing. Phones the ex up for another chance and she's delighted to take him back.

I'm glad we've given him that second chance.

Granted, but, its fan-fucking-tastic that we have signed a player with enormous potential, some of which we've seen in a few games he played for us. A player none of us thought we'd ever see at Pittodrie again and a player that fits into our side perfectly. Time will tell, but this is a major boost for the club/fans and I think the club should be applauded for it.  :thumbsup:

True.

I'm just too wary of players at AFC not living up to their potential or thinking they've made it once the fans start singing their name.

Sure he was exciting to watch at times but he reminds me very much of Zero.  Drifting out of games, not tracking back, taking on the same player three times just to be fans favourite...... etc.

Like I said, I'm pleased with this signing and I think this shows the next step for the club.  But I hope Aluko uses this to progress his career and doesn't stop trying to impress now he's no longer wanted at B'ham.