Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tim Bakens

Its really quite worrying that we cant secure the services of a mediocre Dutch player over a tiny Dutch team. This stinks of the days Rougvie left for the sake of £20 per week when the penny pinchers wouldnt raise the bar for him.

Bakens looked fairly decent going by yon YOUTUBE clip. And his runs from defence looked like fun. He was solid in the air and his tackling looked superbly timed as did his freekick taking skills. Granted it was only a YOUTUBE clip and if you tried hard enough you could possibly put enough footage together to make Mackie look like a magic stiker.

Bottom line is, I'm worried where JC takes us from here in terms of a central defender. It was only last week that he was saying Bakens could be our Rob Jones, then a few days later saying "hes not worth the money he wants"???? Something doesnt add up.

Can somebody please confirm that Scott Wilson has signed for somebody and not still available please???

As you say, I wouldn't read too much into the YouTube clip.

This guy Bakens was full of how desperate he was to play for Aberdeen when the move was first mooted. He clearly wasn't so desperate that he would turn us down in favour of a slightly larger offer from a team with an 8,000 capacity stadium. He could well have been doing the same thing as Maybury: using our interest in him to inflate his demands with clubs which he would much rather sign for. Ultimately, I guess we'll never know. I reckon JC would have made a fair offer, but it doesn't sound like he and his agent were prepared to negotiate their own demands to any significant degree.

JC still has time to pull out a few more irons from the fire. I still have a horrible lurking fear that we'll end up with Scott Wilson, though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought we'd have matched the 2K a week. Bit crazy really. But then again, he's not an international (i know we wouldn't be able to get one) and he wasn't our top pick. Slightly worrying though that we couldn't even convince him to join. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I would have thought we'd have matched the 2K a week. Bit crazy really. But then again, he's not an international (i know we wouldn't be able to get one) and he wasn't our top pick. Slightly worrying though that we couldn't even convince him to join. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Some of what you've been drinking, please!

Guest Chewbacca the Don

Oh well,look on the bright side. Scott Wilson is still available.

Hold on a minute whilst i run a hot bath and sharpen my knife!! :

3rd choice makes it worrying who our 4th choice is going to be???

I can believe that Afc would have tried to offer this guy less money. But i also believe this guy was prob playing us against his club for more money rather than uproot to Scotland. 

3rd choice makes it worrying who our 4th choice is going to be???

I can believe that Afc would have tried to offer this guy less money. But i also believe this guy was prob playing us against his club for more money rather than uproot to Scotland. 

Possibly, but he did mention he still wanted to try and play abroad. So when, not if, when FC Volendam get relegated, he'll seek a move again. But I'd hope by that stage we'd have found someone else  :P

I am quite happy to see AFC trying to secure signings for as little as they can get away with. Its what every business does and they would be neglegant in their duties if they didn't do it. The problem as I see it is I just don't think that JC and the others involved in securing these players are particularly good at their job. Guys like Levein and Hughes are just steadily getting on with the job of building their squads without all the bravado and gusto that surrounds our club. I'm not convinced Aberdeen have an effective plan to build a decent squad for next year and every player we are involved with, both internally and externally, only serves to compound that view as deals collapse or players hold out forever before rubber dicking the club. All of the problems that frustrate the hell out of us all are down to poor management from top to bottom. There may be people at the club who are capable in certain areas but we are woefully short of some outstanding stewardship at the Aberdeen FC, thats the long and short of it for me.

I am quite happy to see AFC trying to secure signings for as little as they can get away with. Its what every business does and they would be neglegant in their duties if they didn't do it. The problem as I see it is I just don't think that JC and the others involved in securing these players are particularly good at their job. Guys like Levein and Hughes are just steadily getting on with the job of building their squads without all the bravado and gusto that surrounds our club. I'm not convinced Aberdeen have an effective plan to build a decent squad for next year and every player we are involved with, both internally and externally, only serves to compound that view as deals collapse or players hold out forever before rubber dicking the club. All of the problems that frustrate the hell out of us all are down to poor management from top to bottom. There may be people at the club who are capable in certain areas but we are woefully short of some outstanding stewardship at the Aberdeen FC, thats the long and short of it for me.

Completely agree Ajja.  :clap: