Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tim Bakens

In fairness, you don't know that they haven't done that. It's a possibility that our first choice signings couldn't be signed for whatever reason. You have to admit they were pretty quick off the mark with the signing of McDonald.

Indeed, they were quite quick off the mark with MacDonald, and I do give them credit for that (although it remains to be seen just how worthwhile an acquisition he is).

I'm not saying that they haven't been doing anything, but rather that they should have had the foresight to know that things do not move quickly at this time of year, and going on holiday for six weeks then blaming everyone else for dragging their heels just sounds daft.  At this time of year, players' agents are saturated with offers, and comparatively small fry like AFC will always have to take a back seat when there are bigger, more lucrative offers to negotiate. That's what annoys me: the fact that we throw away any competitive advantage we may have by not being able to act quickly during the initial weeks after the season ends. That's when transfers should be sewn up, not as and when your manager and part-time Director of Football see fit to come back to work.

If getting our first-choice signings has been difficult, then I would expect us to have moved for some of our second-choice targets, but as it is, JC has been flirting with the likes of Bakens, Redan and Davids as second-choice options for weeks on end and has been just as guilty of playing a game with them as players and agents have with him. Keeping them hanging on just reeks of desperation.

I'm really, honestly not having a go just for the sake of it. People on here over-estimate my negative opinions about Calderwood: in some respects, I think he's been absolutely brilliant for us; I really do. It's the manner in which our club is run which irks me, and the buck for that stops waaaaay above Calderwood's head. I'm sick of seeing us looking uncompetitive, sluggish and devoid of ambition in the transfer market.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really, honestly not having a go just for the sake of it. People on here over-estimate my negative opinions about Calderwood: in some respects, I think he's been absolutely brilliant for us; I really do. It's the manner in which our club is run which irks me, and the buck for that stops waaaaay above Calderwood's head. I'm sick of seeing us looking uncompetitive, sluggish and devoid of ambition in the transfer market.

We aren't really that much worse off than everyone else.

The transfer market seems to be awash with players waiting for that better offer that will get them a bigger hoose or the parking sensor on their club Lexus and whilst we rake about in the bargain buckets, that's what we all have to put up with from now on, as unpalatable as that may be, no player is going to sign until he, or his cunt of an agent, have milked what they can in terms of contract from teams desperate to sign players.

Worse in our case as they presume we have a bit of cash to flash.

That's what annoys me: the fact that we throw away any competitive advantage we may have by not being able to act quickly during the initial weeks after the season ends. That's when transfers should be sewn up, not as and when your manager and part-time Director of Football see fit to come back to work.

Man United better be getting rid of Ferguson then, useless c*nt's still not strengthened his squad, yet Chelsea have...  ::)

Strengthening the Chumps League winners and strengthening a mediocre team beginning with A and ending in berdeen are not that comparable though are they?

Why not?  If their rivals are strengthening, then surely they should be too.  Ferguson's been on holiday this last few weeks, Scolari started his job a week early.  ::)

;)

We aren't really that much worse off than everyone else.

The transfer market seems to be awash with players waiting for that better offer that will get them a bigger hoose or the parking sensor on their club Lexus and whilst we rake about in the bargain buckets, that's what we all have to put up with from now on, as unpalatable as that may be, no player is going to sign until he, or his cunt of an agent, have milked what they can in terms of contract from teams desperate to sign players.

Worse in our case as they presume we have a bit of cash to flash.

Y'see there you go applying common sense again. Repeat after me, JC and WM are a pair o' useless indolent cunts ;D

Bakens confident of move to Dons

By Sean Wallace

Published: 02/07/2008

DUTCH defender Tim Bakens today claimed Aberdeen are set to offer him a deal.

The former RKC Waalwijk centre back’s agent is locked in talks with the Dons, and Bakens expects to be offered a deal within 48 hours.

However, Aberdeen could be dragged into a bidding war as the defender is also being tracked by a top flight Dutch side.

Bakens said: “My agent was set to meet with Aberdeen today and they will offer me a deal.

“As yet I do not know how long the deal will be for so I will just have to wait and see what Aberdeen offer.

“There is also a club in Holland who are willing to offer me a deal.

“It is between Aberdeen and the Dutch club although obviously it comes down to what deal Aberdeen offer me.â€

The 25-year-old had previously revealed in the Evening Express he feared any move to Pittodrie was dead.

After initial talks Bakens was surprised the club had not contacted him for more than two weeks.

But Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood resumed talks at the weekend and looks set to swoop for the former De Graafschap stopper.

“The situation was not looking too good so it was great to hear back from Aberdeen,†he said.

“Jimmy Calderwood was back in contact with me on Sunday, so thankfully things have moved on a little.â€

Calderwood is targeting a left-sided centre half, but Bakens could still fill the role despite being right-footed.

Aberdeen appear to be front-runners to land the Dutchman, who is keen on a fresh challenge abroad.

The defender, who is a free agent, turned down a move to Dutch First Division side Volendam last week.

“Playing in Scotland would be a great challenge and I feel I could do well there.

“At the moment I don’t know if I will be staying in Holland or moving to Aberdeen, it comes down to the deals I am offered.

“However, it was good to hear from Aberdeen again.â€

Meanwhile, Calderwood has urged the Red Army not to panic over the lack of movement in the transfer market.

Aberdeen have secured just three players in the pre-season, Sammy Stewart, Bertrand Bossu and Stuart Duff, who re-signed on a two-year deal.

Calderwood, who wants to take Chelsea youngster Jack Cork on loan, insists they are working hard behind the scenes to identify and land new signing targets in time for the beginning of the new SPL season on August 9.

“We definitely need three, or maybe four, new players on board before the new season,†he said.

“If you look around outside the big clubs there is not a lot happening in the transfer market because players and agents were on holiday.

“There will be a lot more movement from Aberdeen regarding transfers over the next few weeks.â€

Aberdeen and Bakens in stalemate over wage offer

DUTCH DEFENDER PREPARED TO HOLD OUT FOR BEST PACKAGE FROM INTERESTED CLUBS

By Paul Smith

Published: 08/07/2008

Dutch defender Tim Bakens will snub a move to Aberdeen unless the Dons increase their initial offer.

The 25-year-old spent the weekend considering the proposed deal to take him to the SPL, but will now ask the Pittodrie side to at least match the terms he was on with RKC Waalwijk last season.

Bakens has alternatives in both the Netherlands and Belgium and is prepared to hold out for the best package. That is likely to lead to a stalemate, with Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood refusing to pursue the player.

Bakens has yet to inform the club of his intentions, the Press and Journal understands he is unhappy with the deal on the table and is leaning towards a switch to Dutch side Volendam.

Calderwood said: “I spoke to the player and his agent four days ago. Wages were discussed and it was left with them to make a decision.

“I have not heard back from either of them, so until I do there will be no progress. In all cases it is a simple question of whether the individual wants to play for Aber-deen or not. If not, there are alternatives we have done the groundwork on.â€

The Dons manager’s hand has been strengthened by Karim Touzani’s departure to Sparta Rotterdam.

The wages freed up by his move will be ploughed back into the squad.

Calderwood said: “Although Karim’s move has not changed things dramatically, there is scope for me to spend the money and there are several options we are looking at.â€

Mark Kerr has completed his transfer to Aberdeen after breezing through a medical.

The out-of-contract Dundee United midfielder trained with his new team-mates yesterday morning before finalising his two-year deal in the afternoon.

The 26-year-old will be introduced to supporters at a media call today.

He takes the number eight jersey vacated by Barry Nicholson and will make his debut against Manchester United on Saturday.

Calderwood said: “Mark has always been a good runner and he had no problem keeping pace.

“He already knows quite a few of the players here at Aberdeen.â€

Kerr will be joined by fellow new recruits Sammy Stewart, Gary McDonald and Bertram Bossu in the squad for the United match.

Calderwood said: “Everyone has sailed through training and we have no injuries, so we will have a full squad for the weekend.â€

Bakens has signed for FC Volendam.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/732061

ABERDEEN transfer target Tim Bakens has signed for FC Volendam.

The defender had been offered a deal by Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood but is understood to have been unhappy with the terms.

Bakens has penned a 12-month contract with the Dutch club to end any chance of a summer switch to the SPL.

Calderwood will now turn his attentions to other targets as he chases two new defenders, a striker and an attacking midfielder.

See tomorrow’s Evening Express for more details.

He'll be playing alongside another AFC nearly-man in that case: Vit Valenta.

;)

In fairness to JC, it doesn't sound like an agreement would ever have been possible in terms of wages, which makes Bakens' protestations about being desperate to sign for the Dons sound all the more hollow now.

Its really quite worrying that we cant secure the services of a mediocre Dutch player over a tiny Dutch team. This stinks of the days Rougvie left for the sake of £20 per week when the penny pinchers wouldnt raise the bar for him.

Bakens looked fairly decent going by yon YOUTUBE clip. And his runs from defence looked like fun. He was solid in the air and his tackling looked superbly timed as did his freekick taking skills. Granted it was only a YOUTUBE clip and if you tried hard enough you could possibly put enough footage together to make Mackie look like a magic stiker.

Bottom line is, I'm worried where JC takes us from here in terms of a central defender. It was only last week that he was saying Bakens could be our Rob Jones, then a few days later saying "hes not worth the money he wants"???? Something doesnt add up.

Can somebody please confirm that Scott Wilson has signed for somebody and not still available please???