Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tim Bakens

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd resigned myself to the fact that our signing are likely to be restricted to a bunch of fucking "Dutch gimps" a long time ago.  :hammer:

I reckon we need a new left-back more than another centre-back.  We have Considine &  Night-Mair covering at centre half... admitedly they are both shite, but at least we have someone who can fill in.  We don't currently have a left back in the squad... que yet another Dutch gimp?

We've not had a left back worthy of the name since David Robertson.

I'm actually getting worried that one of our "new" signings may be one Richard Byrne...

Where?

From the above article:

Bakens, who scored nine goals in 34 appearances last season, is available on a free transfer.

He said: “Jimmy Calderwood called me to ask if I would be interested in a move to Aberdeen.

“I said I would and he told me he would call me back in a couple of days but I have not heard anything.â€

Calderwood is keen and said: “I haven’t spoken to Tim since our first conversation but I will be in touch with him this week."

:thumbsup:

Hard to judge the guy from clips from dutch 2nd division as standard there can vary from what I have seen. Remember JDV looked good on clips from this level but has turned out to be short of what is required to play in SPL. Will only be able to judge this guy if/when we sign him and see him against SPL opposition.

I've no problem with players coming from Holland - in fact, it mystifies me that people are trying to use this against jimmy calderwood.  The facilities and training from youth level and upwards over there are way superior to ours.  I can't see any problem with players coming up through a dutch football coaching system.

Because out of the gazilion he's signed, they've only played a handful of matches between them and been fairly poor.

yep - but some Dons fans love nothing more than rubbishing signings before we've even signed them.  Because obviously they CAN tell how good a player is from YouTube clips because they KNOW  :-\

Like Jute says - lets wait until we (possibly) see him in the SPL.

A player with stature is definately required by us - just look how damaging that defender for QotS was to both Aberdeen and Rangers attacking.  Doesn't matter too much if they have skill - surely defenders should get the ball clear first and foremost.  Steven Pressley made a career of heading the ball out of play.

I tend to think the folk that slag off dutch football are also the ones that slag off scottish football - but think the premiershit is ace.

Scottish and dutch football are fairly similar.

Apart from the injuries Jamie Smith has been good - and I thought he looked shite at den haag - but the dutch seemed to like him by the amount of cheering him on they did.

I've no problem with players coming from Holland - in fact, it mystifies me that people are trying to use this against jimmy calderwood.  The facilities and training from youth level and upwards over there are way superior to ours.  I can't see any problem with players coming up through a dutch football coaching system.

You're right in what you say about giving this big lump  ;) a chance, but I think people are apprehensive when Jimmy goes Dutch, so to speak. Just because his track record of bringing in Dutchmen is patchy at best. People are going by experience, can't blame them for that.

I think the the criticism levelled against JC for his Dutch signings is unwarranted.

Snoyl, Smith, Touzani - good signings

JDV - he could go either way.

Bus, Bass - shite.

So, rather than patchy I'd call the signings decent especially as the latter two were really only signed as cover.

I think the the criticism levelled against JC for his Dutch signings is unwarranted.

Bus, Bass - shite.

So, rather than patchy I'd call the signings decent especially as the latter two were really only signed as cover.

The problem is that we're not seeing enough of these signings to make any clear assumptions that they are good or bad.  We're told they're x, y and z when we're trying to sign them and then they get here and, well, nothing.

This leads people to believe that they're either not good enough or they've just been bought as cover.

If it's for cover then why bother with flying to Holland at all, as I'm sure there's enough 'filler' in the lower leagues in Scotland.

Bus, Bass - shite.

Touzani hardly ever plays, you can't class that as a good signing. I like the guy, and would agree he would be a good signing if he played more.

You forgot Dyron Daal...

Bus, Bass - shite.

I would say that Smith had played for Celtic was more important than anything to do with coming from Holland

Bus, Bass - shite.

Big season for jeffrey i reckon.  He showed in flashes last season that he's got loads of skill.  Hopefully he can put injurys behind him and that he's adapted to the pace of the scottish game. 

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/710819

Dutch defender pins hopes on move to Aberdeen

Published: 27/06/2008

DUTCH defender Tim Bakens has cleared the way for Aberdeen to make their move by rejecting a contract offer to stay in Holland.

The 25-year-old RKC Waalwijk player turned down an offer to stay at his club, which narrowly missed out on promotion in the end of season play-offs, and has been offered a deal by FC Volendam in Holland and an invitation to go on trial in Belgium.

However, after interest from Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood, the 6ft 4in central defender has turned down the offer from Volendam and told the club he is interested in a move abroad.

Calderwood contacted the player, who is available on a free transfer, more than a week ago and will continue talks with him. Bakens scored nine goals in 34 appearances for his club last season.

While Bakens waits for the Dons to make their move, fellow Dutchman Iwan Redan appears to be drifting down the pecking order at Pittodrie. Redan, who spent a week on trial at Pittodrie towards the end of the season along with Bertrand Bossu and Zephaniah Davids, has had no contact from the club since.

Aberdeen edge closer to deal for Dutch defender Bakens

By Michael Gannon

Published: 01/07/2008

Aberdeen have moved a step closer to signing towering Dutch defender Tim Bakens after manager Jimmy Calderwood reopened talks with the former RKC Waalwijk centre back.

Calderwood spoke to the 25-year-old 6ft 4in defender at the weekend and will discuss a possible deal with his agent in the next few days. Aber-deen remain free agent Bakens’s preferred choice of club but he does have options in Holland and in Belgium.

The former De Graafschap defender turned down a move to Dutch First Division side Volendam last week but voiced his concern about the lack of contact from Pittodrie.

The Dons reported back for pre-season training yesterday and Calderwood is set to step up his bid to strengthen his squad.

The manager is targeting a left-sided centre half and said Bakens can fill the role despite being right-footed.

Calderwood said: “I spoke to the player on Sunday and I will speak to the agent.

“There are a few things which we need to look at and once we have decided exactly which positions we are going to go for, we’ll talk again.

“He played on the left side of central defence with his team this season, so we’ll see.

“I would have liked to have more in by now but overall, outside the very big clubs, there has not been a lot happening.

“It has been difficult getting in touch with players, agents and other managers.

“We definitely have three more positions, maybe four, to fill and we will have to see how the financial packages are looking before progressing. A lot of people are starting back over the next week, so things will get going again.

“If we have to wait to August then so be it, but we have got a few targets who, hopefully, we can get in quickly.â€

Former Dons trialist Iwan Redan has agreed a move to Cypriot side AE Pathos but Calderwood revealed his interest in the forward cooled after Lee Miller decided to stay at Pittodrie.

Alan Maybury remains a major target but, with the former Hearts defender’s contract at Leicester not due to expire until the end of July, Calderwood may be forced to wait longer.

He added: “The problem with Alan is he is still under contract at Leicester and he will be until the end of July.

“I don’t think he will rip up his contract there just yet.

“Redan was on the list as we feared Lee was going to leave. When he signed on again here our interest in the player waned again and he dropped out of the running.â€

Alan Maybury remains a major target but, with the former Hearts defender’s contract at Leicester not due to expire until the end of July, Calderwood may be forced to wait longer.

He added: “The problem with Alan is he is still under contract at Leicester and he will be until the end of July.

This goes against what we have been told in the past. JC and WM have both said quite categorically that he had been released by Leicester and was a free agent. In any case, still being under contract doesn't mean we can't offer him a pre-contract.

I'm getting increasingly pissed off at the absolute incompetence with which AFC seems to be handling this transfer.

It has been difficult getting in touch with players, agents and other managers.

I dare say that going to Mallorca for six weeks won't really have helped in that respect.

No-one's saying JC isn't entitled to a holiday, but here's a thought for himself and WM: how about getting your skates on earlier in the year? Waiting until this point in time is like going into a shop's sale the day before it ends and then whining that there are no bargains left for you because everybody else snapped them up three weeks ago when the sale started.

Do your fucking homework and be ready to move at the earliest possible opportunity. It's really not that tough.

Oh, and go and get another right back ASAP and let Maybury rot in some fucking League 2 team of no-hopers down south. He's played us off against other offers for too long. Time to call his bluff.

>:(

EDIT: Spelling.

Oh, and go and get another right back ASAP and let Maybury rot in some fucking League 2 team of no-hopers down south. He's played us off against other offers for too long. Time to call his bluff.

>:(

EDIT: Spelling.

Fucking right.  I think what calderwood has basically said is that maybury still hasnt gone anywhere and he might still sign with us.  Personally i've had enough of the whole saga.  At least Nicholson was up front about wanting to leave, Lee miller realised that the grass is always greener.  Sign up or fuck off now maybury you've had more than long enough

I dare say that going to Mallorca for six weeks won't really have helped in that respect.

No-one's saying JC isn't entitled to a holiday, but here's a thought for himself and WM: how about getting your skates on earlier in the year? Waiting until this point in time is like going into a shop's sale the day before it ends and then whining that there are no bargains left for you because everybody else snapped them up three weeks ago when the sale started.

Do your fucking homework and be ready to move at the earliest possible opportunity. It's really not that tough.

In fairness, you don't know that they haven't done that. It's a possibility that our first choice signings couldn't be signed for whatever reason. You have to admit they were pretty quick off the mark with the signing of McDonald.