Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tim Bakens

RKC defender to be our next signing according to the BBC gossip page, looks like he can play central defence or left back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Bakens

Aberdeen are on the trail of Dutch defender Tim Bakens, with the 6ft 4in centre half keen to make the move to Pittodrie.

Bakens is available on a free contract after rejecting a new deal from RKC Waalwijk. The 25-year-old missed out on promotion from the second tier of Dutch football, the Eerste Divisie, as his club lost in the play-off final to ADO Den Haag.

The imposing defender was a standout for his club during the campaign, scoring an impressive nine goals in 34 appearances last season.

Bakens has other options but is willing to delay making a decision in the hope the Dons come back to him with a formal offer.

He said: “Jimmy Calderwood called me last week to ask if I would be interested in a move to Aberdeen.

“I said I would and he told me he would call me back in a couple of days but I have not heard anything. He said he was looking at another defender as his first choice but would get back to me if it didn’t work out.

“I have been offered a contract from FC Volendam in Holland and I also have an offer to go on trial in Belgium. I have received nothing concrete from Aberdeen but I hope to hear from the club soon so I can make a decision on my future.â€

Bakens made his debut in professional football with Aberdeen winger Jeffrey de Visscher’s former club De Graafschap in the 2001-02 season before moving to the Mandemakers Stadium in 2005.

His club was relegated from the Eredivisie in 2007 following a play-off loss to VVV-Venlo before missing out on a quick return at the end of the campaign.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy’s on trail of Dutch defender

By Charlie Allan

Published: 21/06/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today said he won’t be forced into any panic buys.

But reports today claimed the Dons boss was on the trail of Dutch defender Tim Bakens.

The 6ft 4in centre half is said to be keen to make the move to Pittodrie.

The RKC Waalwijk defender is available on a free contract after rejecting a new deal from the club.

SPL rivals Rangers, Celtic and Dundee United all added to their squads this week, which puts added pressure on Calderwood as he attempts to make five more signings before the new season starts.

But the Aberdeen manager admitted it could take him longer than expected to capture his prime targets.

“I want to bring in players of quality and that can often take a bit of time,†said Calderwood.

“I could have three players on parade at Pittodrie tomorrow because there are guys out there who would crawl all the way to Aberdeen for the chance to play for this club.

“But I don’t want players who are coming here to simply make up the numbers.â€

Calderwood reminded fans it took him several weeks to secure the signatures of Jamie Smith and Lee Miller, who are now two of the key men at Pittodrie.

“We had to be patient when we were pursuing Jamie and Lee, but that was rewarded in the end,†he said.

“We want to bring in more players of that quality, ones who would significantly improve the Aberdeen first team.

“I can understand some of our fans getting a little restless because other clubs have made signings.

“We have actually made signings as well, and one of those – Gary McDonald – is going to be a big hit in the SPL.

“We will sign others as well, all I can ask is for the fans to be patient for a wee while longer.

“We have identified our top targets, but completing deals isn’t as easy as it was a few years ago.

“Agents now tend to hold out in the hope of other clubs showing interest.

“We are also waiting for other clubs to make decisions about players, but most of the people involved are on holiday.

“Work is going on behind the scenes all of the time.â€

Calderwood also expects find out this weekend if defender Alan Maybury plans to accept a new contract or quit and move back to England.

Wonder which type he'll be.

Let the ball drop to the ground in the penalty area before  considering playing it.....or

Too laid back to be arsed playing the ball at all.

I can't get enough of these 2nd division-nearly-got-promoted Dutch masters of defending.

Agree with you Ajja, I'm sure he was playing a fair bit when RKC were in the Eredivisie (season before last) but I found it really hard watching those highlights. Just header after clearance on and on again. There are better dutch defenders that we could afford.

Dons move towards giant signing

calderwood steps up interest in 6ft 4in dutch defender but scotches reports of kerr move

Published: 24/06/2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood will this week step up his interest in Dutch defender Tim Bakens.

The 6ft 4in RKC Waalwijk player, who has rejected a new contract from the club, has been contacted by Calderwood about a move to Scotland and is waiting for another call.

Bakens, who scored nine goals in 34 appearances last season, is available on a free transfer.

He said: “Jimmy Calderwood called me to ask if I would be interested in a move to Aberdeen.

“I said I would and he told me he would call me back in a couple of days but I have not heard anything.â€

Calderwood is keen and said: “I haven’t spoken to Tim since our first conversation but I will be in touch with him this week.

“He is a player who came on our radar after we had spoken to some other targets. I told him it was very difficult to say how the talks were progressing, but if he feels he is second choice then that is not the case.

“He is similar in stature to Rob Jones, of Hibernian, but he is a right-sided player and we were looking for someone who could play on the left. However, we haven’t ruled him out and I will talk to him again this week.â€

One player the Dons do not expect to be signing on at the club is Mark Kerr.

Reports yesterday linked the Dundee United midfielder with a move to Pittodrie but Calderwood was quick to dismiss the claims as he believes the former Falkirk midfielder is heading to England.

Calderwood said: “Us signing Mark is news to me. He is a player we were interested in signing but both Willie Miller (director of football) and I were told he was going to England.

“It has been more than two weeks since we heard from Mark or his agent. I am sure it has been a hard decision for him but he can earn a lot more down south, which is why, like so many other players, he wants to try his luck in the Championship.â€

Out of contract defender Alan Maybury continues to stall on making a decision on his two-year contract offer and the Aberdeen manager admits the Irishman’s negotiations are symptomatic of the problems every club is facing this summer.

He said: “Willie has been phoning a lot of players and agents, but the truth is they are not coming back to us.

“I had hoped to have all the squad together for when we report back to pre-season training next week but it does not look like that will be the case.

“The game has changed dramatically in the last 10 years and we have reached the point now where there is a complete turnaround of power between the clubs to the player. It is clear it going to be a drawn out saga this summer and we have no option but to wait it out.

“Look at Manchester United and Cristiano Ronaldo’s refusal to rule out a move to Real Madrid. When Sir Alex Ferguson is having problems like that, what chance have the rest of us got?â€

[Tim Bakens] said: “Jimmy Calderwood called me to ask if I would be interested in a move to Aberdeen.

“I said I would and he told me he would call me back in a couple of days but I have not heard anything.â€

[Calderwood] said: “Willie has been phoning a lot of players and agents, but the truth is they are not coming back to us."

BULLSHITMETER.gif

Maybe if you had got off your arses and set the wheels in motion well in advance, instead of doing your usual trick of waiting until the last minute and then lying to the fans about the number and quality of signings you promised, this wouldn't be such a fucking problem, you fat, snivelling wanker.

Conflicting information...

Jimmy Calderwood called me to ask if I would be interested in a move to Aberdeen.

I said I would and he told me he would call me back in a couple of days but I have not heard anything.

I want to bring in players of quality and this can often take a bit more time than expected.

or...

do we take it that Bakens, is not a player of quality.

I'm presuming the ones who aren't coming back straight away are the ones that we are primarily interested in ie the good ones who will most likely have several options.

In turn, we're no getting back to the ones we aren't really intent on signing.

And sweetchuck,

you fat, snivelling wanker.
, I'm disappointed.

Maybe if you had got off your arses and set the wheels in motion well in advance, instead of doing your usual trick of waiting until the last minute and then lying to the fans about the number and quality of signings you promised, this wouldn't be such a fucking problem, you fat, snivelling wanker.

F*ck me, you should really move your bed away from your wall, because every morning you wake up and you're left with no option but to get out the wrong side.  Miserable c*nt  :thumbsup:

I'm presuming the ones who aren't coming back straight away are the ones that we are primarily interested in ie the good ones who will most likely have several options.

I agree; this probably is the case.

Leaving things in the hands of a part-time Director of Football whilst the manager swans off to Mercury to top up his tan isn't really best practice in terms of signing top targets, though. The closer you come to the start of the season, the less likely your targets are to be available.

Any competitive advantage we can eke out when competing against other clubs is precious. By putting ourselves in the positions we have - whereby there isn't really anyone at the club for most of the week who is capable of handling transfer dealings - puts us at a massive disadvantage, and I don't think that's acceptable.

In turn, we're no getting back to the ones we aren't really intent on signing.

Again, I can't disagree. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. For JC to come out and moan about players messing him around when he's perfectly happy to do likewise to other players is just outright hypocrisy, and does nothing whatsoever to address the key issue.

And sweetchuck, I'm disappointed.

Every manager misses out on targets. It happens. But other managers don't come bleating to the press about how it's not their fault, it's the agents' fault, it's the fans' fault for being too expectant.

Setting himself important targets like having a full squad assembled in time for pre-season is not compatible with wanting to high-tail it off to Majorca to scorch himself black in the weeks immediately prior to that date. Yet another case of JC wanting to have his cake and eat it, and then looking to blame everybody else when it goes tits up.

Again, I can't disagree. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. For JC to come out and moan about players messing him around when he's perfectly happy to do likewise to other players is just outright hypocrisy, and does nothing whatsoever to address the key issue.

How do YOU know that this is happening?  From quotes you read in the paper?

JC basically says in the P&J this morning that this guy is pretty far down his list of potential signings but is becoming more of a possibility as time goes on!!

Have they learned nothing from last season? We missed out on Europe cos our defence was fucking shite. A good centre back is our priority signing this summer, we're being short changed with some fucking Dutch gimp again............PISH!

we're being short changed with some fucking Dutch gimp again............PISH!

I'd resigned myself to the fact that our signing are likely to be restricted to a bunch of fucking "Dutch gimps" a long time ago.  :hammer:

I reckon we need a new left-back more than another centre-back.  We have Considine &  Night-Mair covering at centre half... admitedly they are both shite, but at least we have someone who can fill in.  We don't currently have a left back in the squad... que yet another Dutch gimp?