Skip to content

Aberdeen v Dundee (League Cup)

Sadly, we go again on Saturday 15th August at 3 pm when Dundee come up the road to have another crack at us, this time on League Cup duty.

If we play as well as we did today, then Dundee will comfortably win 4-0. 😡

  • Replies 88
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Be interesting to see if we have a game plan for this, as we've lacked one in the first two games. Dundee beat us by playing the kind of football I thought we'd be playing under Robinson; high pressin

  • Jormungandr
    Jormungandr

    How about that moment when Cadden was possessed by the spirit of prime Javier Zanetti? Racing back to catch up wi his man, superb sliding tackle wins the ba, directs his team-mate where to go for the

  • STFU_Donny
    STFU_Donny

    Be as well forfeiting the match then.

Posted Images

Featured Replies

Be interesting to see if we have a game plan for this, as we've lacked one in the first two games.

Dundee beat us by playing the kind of football I thought we'd be playing under Robinson; high pressing, quick balls forward over the top of our defence, energetic midfield, pace up front.

Instead in the first half we attempted to play it out from the back, were too slow and created nothing. Second half we went 4-4-2, stretched it a bit and moved it quicker, but had two guys who aren't wingers playing as wingers.

If Robinson thinks all we need to do is get Lyons and Ronan in the team and start the same formation and tactics again, and it doesn't work out, then don't come out and claim the players just didn't have the desire. He has a week to think of an actual game plan.

No idea what the score will be, but pretty certain our name won't be in the hat for the draw for the next round ☹️

Ah, screw it I'll go against conventional wisdom and say 3-1 for us. Monday morning and full of the joys of the work week ahead, so I am remaining positive 🙄

Back in for this.

Despite being well beaten on Saturday. We have been decent enough in the cups, in recent seasons and think we'll get a win.

2-1

Had hoped we wouldn’t be feeling like this after 2 games of the league season, but think we all knew deep down, we would be. Think we’ll get to 1-1 then lose in extra time (assuming they do this instead of replays now?).

Out

bed

Bed

TBC

1-1, Happe

Lose this and January in the Scottish Cup will be a long time coming.

Lyons out.

Ronan being assessed.

Still too early for Knoester, but club organising a friendly next week that they hope he'll play in.

6 minutes ago, Panda said:

Lyons out.

Ronan being assessed.

Still too early for Knoester, but club organising a friendly next week that they hope he'll play in.

I really hope that Kjartansson leaving was a catalyst for a new midfielder. Obviously we won't get one by tomorrow, but I hope we can see the glaring problem. I actually think Robinson maybe doesn't.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I really hope that Kjartansson leaving was a catalyst for a new midfielder. Obviously we won't get one by tomorrow, but I hope we can see the glaring problem. I actually think Robinson maybe doesn't.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I really hope that Kjartansson leaving was a catalyst for a new midfielder. Obviously we won't get one by tomorrow, but I hope we can see the glaring problem. I actually think Robinson maybe doesn't.

Time will tell though it could now be a case of needing to get players out before we can take in. My feeling is if we can get Palaversa and Yenghi in particular off the books that's probably near 10k a week in wages freed up.

21 minutes ago, Panda said:

Lyons out.

Be as well forfeiting the match then.

Too much doom and gloom here. Early season and a ton of new players. Again. Injuries don’t help but last week was briedl’s first real taste of Scottish football. Expect him to be better tomorrow.

Olasanya is a complication. Don’t think he helps with balance as he’s not a right mid, yet he’s involved in many of our goals. I’d still prefer smith on the right, newbie on the left, and hopefull Ronan behind nisbet. Armstrong shouldn’t start, I don’t think he has the legs for a full game and whether consciously or not, you adapt your game when starting versus and impact sub giving it everything when you come on.

2-1 us, nisbet and olasanya.

I will add, def agree we are a brad lyons midfielder type short. If Ronan is out tomorrow we’re lightning the middle of the park too. I’d even be inclined to start Marshall and bring Armstrong in when appropriate.

Edited by OrlandoDon

I would not be starting Olusanya or Yogane as Dundee seemed to have both figured out last week. Would like to see Bilalovic and Smith but given Bilalovic has not been even on the bench for a weeks now doubt we will see him in Dons shirt again. I thought Marshall played well last week so would start him instead of one of Bridel or Ameru as Dundee rang rings round both last week. Last Saturday was sadly everything I expected and feared from a Robinson team so giving this week a miss.

Oot

Somewhere in Capital

Local game probably Musselburgh v Linlithgow

Flat

0-2 no dons scorer.

Feel like the journos missed an obvious trick when Robinson said Lyons was out. Surely you then follow up with a question that refers to the post-match comments from last Saturday?

Will be very interested to see how we adapt. They've shown us how they want to play. What are we going to do about it?

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I really hope that Kjartansson leaving was a catalyst for a new midfielder. Obviously we won't get one by tomorrow, but I hope we can see the glaring problem. I actually think Robinson maybe doesn't.

He'll probably be replaced by a clogger from Kilmarnock or St Mirren

40 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

He'll probably be replaced by a clogger from Kilmarnock or St Mirren

Cue Alex Gogic….

I do wonder if Ntelo will start tomorrow given he was put out to face the press today.

Very wary of this one and no idea how it's going to go. Scoring first would be very helpful.

There seems to be a common theme that those doing media duties are not in the 11

Will see if he starts / on bench/ acclimatising to Scottish football

Out

Glasgow hostelries

As above

Kelvingrove Bandstand - The Bluebells & Friends Again

1-1 Nisbet

AFC win 3-2 on penalties

  • Author

Looks like we're actually playing Motherwell today.Screenshot_20260815-113014.png

20 minutes ago, swaddon said:

Looks like we're actually playing Motherwell today.Screenshot_20260815-113014.png

Can we blame Opta for this too? 😬

Confidence at a record low for this one. Not much positive to grasp to. We still leak goals and find it hard to score. If they take their chances it could be embarrassing. Robinson needs to be the manager he thinks he is.

Thought Robinson's comments yesterday were unfairly pounced upon. His comment was "give me time and there'll be cup finals, top six finishes and Europe". I don't think he was suggesting top six is an achievement in itself (and top six doesn't necessarily mean sixth), more that we didn't get close to any of that last season and he believes he'll have Aberdeen back there.

However, the negativity is very much because of the pressure he's under to win over fans. I think only Alex Miller has had this level of negativity right at the beginning of his reign, and he didn't have social media to worry about then.

He really needs a strong performance and a win today. With two weeks until the next game (and the next two being the Old Firm) it'll be a really unhappy place to be if we go out of the cup today.

5c8d8250-1fe5-432c-b4b0-acdb7c15b250.jpeg

What formation is that going to be?

4-2-3-1?

Yogane a very lucky boy to keep his starting place after his last two performances (but then, his back up is 15 years old because Bilalovic is nowhere to be seen).

Guinness-Walker also fortunate to start, but his back-up is Molloy because Frame doesn't appear to be getting a look in.

We appear to have found a player in Smith but dunno where to play him so he's on the bench again.

Olusanya starts despite a horrific showing last week.

I'm not one to be negative 1hr15 before kick-off, but thank Christ we didn't qualify for Europe because that squad looks so threadbare - despite us having too many players on the books. Seems a real lack of completion for everywhere other than centre midfield.

At least Ntelo starts. Aberdeen, just fucking win.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.