Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

League cup semi - hibs

34 minutes ago, Panda said:

Aye agreed on the whole offside thing.

VAR is supposed to be for clear and obvious stuff. ie if a penalty has been awarded and a replay shows it wasn't a foul, or someone punches the ball in the net.

Boyle's fingernail being offside isn't really gaining an advantage.

My sympathies with Hibs and all we can do to make up for this is beat Hearts in the final. We'll do it for you Hibs ✊🏻

Here’s my question, if it’s clear and obvious so many var reviews shouldn’t take place. Scotland v Spain and mctomminay’s freekick, clear and obvious? What is the definition of clear and obvious?

I think most penalty appeals should be reviewed, not so much a game stoppage but the twat in the booth can replay and quickly say hold on to the ref if the game needs stopped. Have yet to see the hibs claim with Roos yesterday but that and our claim, which I feel is a definite penalty, are huge parts of the game. I thought that was var’s purpose, to ensure big decisions aren’t missed. What we are seeing are goals being allowed/disallowed that are not clear/obvious, yet penalty appeals, and we seem to have suffered a few of late, don’t even get checked and they have a major influence on the outcome.

Ultimately, I think var has led to more confusion than clarity, and has had a clear influence in games. We say refs should play a big part in the outcome, yet var is clearly doing that now.

1 minute ago, Elgindon said:

Heres the Hibs claim from an interesting angle 

I'd like to see an end to bollocks like that (and we've had several over the last few years) ever being considered a pen. When did we get to that point? It's a contact sport. If a defender beat an attacker (sliding in) to the ball, booting it out for a corner and then falling over his already outstretched leg, it wouldn't be a foul. Everyone would be congratulating the defender on a good tackle. Why does beating the keeper to the ball and deliberately falling over him make for a better sport? Again, this is the product of two decades of television fitba and its horseshite replays, and the lack of context it brings. The ref, who had a good game, was up with the play can see what happened and the context in which it happened in real time - which was a player blasting the ball away whilst falling over with the sole intention of winning a penalty. Telling them to get up and get on with it is exactly the right call. Similarly the Miovski one. A guy through on goal who only had one thing on his mind and that was to wait for a touch and try and win a penalty. Everyone in the stadium, even the most partisan of Dons fans, could see that is what he decided and tried to do and the ref saw it too - in real time, and in context of the unfolding situation. Nobody needs VAR, or endless replays to "see if there was a touch" or any other bullshit. It's a fucking contact sport Miovski, you need to be finishing those chances. With VAR (and it was going this way long before) we risk rewarding this type of behaviour and encouraging more of it. It used to be called out as diving and unsporting, but we've moved to a position where we're now saying "well everyone else does it". Exactly the type of thinking that has brought us VAR. Thankfully VAR did exactly the right thing in both instances. They knew that the referee hadn't missed something in both instances, he saw exactly what happened, and they judged that his viewing of the situation in context wasn't clearly and obviously wrong. 

Of course clear and obvious has no definition as OD points out. It simply moves the point of controversy onto what constitutes clear and obvious. 

I should add, that I know I don't speak for most people on this subject, and I'm not remotely interested in what people think should be a penalty because "that's the way things are these days" and "everyone does it". I'm interested from the perspective of what makes a sport a sport, and what is just. I also know that people buying fouls and penalties is part of the game, and I'm not stupid enough to think it will change, but I think that every football fan should have an interest in seeing unsporting behaviour removed from the game and find it weird that partisanship makes us claim for something where we know a player has deliberately manufactured the incident. The more of these incidents that go against the supposed victim the better in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The more of these incidents that go against the supposed victim the better in my opinion.

I agree with this sentiment, and I know you've said you're not interested, but Beaton gave at least 3 free kicks for similar challenges to the Miovski one which occurred outside the box, but the one in the box is a dive?  Inconsistency is my issue with his decision.  And I think the Roos one was a penalty also - challenged (weakly) for the ball and didn't get it.  Is it soft? Yes, but it's a foul (in both cases).

49 minutes ago, SeeBass said:

Can somebody enlighten me on our domestic cup semi-final record since Alex Ferguson left us to join Manchester United. 

I don't feel like we've had that many since I started supporting the club in 1989.

I think, since Fergie, it's:-

League Cup: won 10 lost 7

Scottish Cup: won 4 lost 8

Edited by Panda
Forgot we won yesterday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KWT15 said:

I agree with this sentiment, and I know you've said you're not interested, but Beaton gave at least 3 free kicks for similar challenges to the Miovski one which occurred outside the box, but the one in the box is a dive?  Inconsistency is my issue with his decision.  And I think the Roos one was a penalty also - challenged (weakly) for the ball and didn't get it.  Is it soft? Yes, but it's a foul (in both cases).

If you look at the second video in Elgindon's post above, Roos actually plays the ball with his right hand.  On the other one, I thought at the time it was not a penalty but harsh to book Miovski for diving.

Pretty tough run of games coming up:

PAOK (a) Celtic (a) Rangers (h) Helsinki (a) Hibs (a) Killie (h) Hearts (h) Frankfurt (h) Final

4 hours ago, KWT15 said:

Why is the answer to be consistent in the wrong direction? Just don't give the three free kicks outside the box. 

5 hours ago, KWT15 said:

Including the foul by miovski a couple of mins later on from our penalty shout, on their left back perhaps, or at least the left back position in front of the linesman. Minimal contact by miovski and the guy falls over, immediate foul. If you call it there then call the penalty.

don’t agree with you Rico, the defender has a hand on his back, it’s a foul anywhere else on the field and a clear penalty. You can argue what you think it is but in modern football it’s a clear foul. Would it be a foul 5, 10, 15 years ago, possibly not, but it is a foul today.

13 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Can somebody enlighten me on our domestic cup semi-final record since Alex Ferguson left us to join Manchester United. 

I don't feel like we've had that many since I started supporting the club in 1989.

27 semi final appearances over both cups since 1989 by my reckoning. Winning 12 including Saturday. 

Went to collect my winnings on Bojan Miovski scoring first goal yesterday and guy behind counter said slip was a loser!  Those at betting shop had settled it as Martin Boyle opening scorer!  Had to wait a couple of hours to get my £29.50 profit as Head Office looked into it!

19 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Scottish cup
- 1988 (0-1 Arabs (after 2 replays))
- 1990 (4-0 Arabs)
- 1993 (1-0 Hibs)
- 1994 (0-1 Arabs (after replay)
- 1996 (1-2 Hearts)
- 2000 (2-1 Hibs)
- 2008 (3-4 QoTS)
- 2011 (0-4 Tic)
- 2012 (1-2 Hibs)
- 2014 (1-2 St Johnstone)
- 2017 (3-2 Hibs)
- 2018 (0-3 Motherwell)
- 2019 (0-3 Tic)

League Cup
- 1987 (2-0 Dundee)
- 1988 (2-0 Arabs)
- 1989 (1-0 Tic)
- 1990 (0-1 SEVCO)
- 1992 (1-0 Tic)
- 1994 (0-1 Tic)
- 1995 (2-1 SEVCO)
- 1997 (1-3 Arabs)
- 2000 (1-0 Arabs)
- 2008 (1-4 Arabs)
- 2011 (1-4 Tic)
- 2014 (4-0 St Johnstone)
- 2016 (2-0 Morton)
- 2018 (1-0 SEVCO)
- 2023 (1-2 SEVCO)
- 2023 (1-0 Hibs)

29 Semis
14 Wins

Funny story about the Greenock Morton 2016 Semi-Final.  My friend Steph worked in a betting shop at the time and always remember me saying to her:

"I fancy winning a grand this weekend!"

She asked what I was on about so I replied:

"Don't know why but I fancy £100 on Kenny McLean First Scorer at (10/1) in the Cup Semi we're only playing Greenock Morton."

Steph thought this was a stupid idea but came up with an alternative.

"Why don't you just do £50 First (10/1) and £50 Last Goal (10/1)?"

At the time I didn't realise players were the same for first or last goal but went ahead with £100 Kenny McLean First Goal (10/1).

Steph then goes:

"I thought you were an Adam Rooney man anyway because you share the same birthday as him.  Why aren't you thinking of sticking £100 on him at (7/2) I mean you could even do him £50 First Goal and £50 Kenny McLean Last Goal sort of cover your silly thoughts about McLean."

I had no answer for her.  She's a really funny and intelligent lass who I adore.

Well what happened in the match Rooney scored the first and McLean the second!

Went in on the Monday after the game and we both looked at each other and bursting out laughing Steph says:

"What did I tell you last Friday?  But you didn't listen!" 

1 hour ago, tom_widdows said:

Scottish cup
- 1988 (0-1 Arabs (after 2 replays))
- 1990 (4-0 Arabs)
- 1993 (1-0 Hibs)
- 1994 (0-1 Arabs (after replay)
- 1996 (1-2 Hearts)
- 2000 (2-1 Hibs)
- 2008 (3-4 QoTS)
- 2011 (0-4 Tic)
- 2012 (1-2 Hibs)
- 2014 (1-2 St Johnstone)
- 2017 (3-2 Hibs)
- 2018 (0-3 Motherwell)
- 2019 (0-3 Tic)

League Cup
- 1987 (2-0 Dundee)
- 1988 (2-0 Arabs)
- 1989 (1-0 Tic)
- 1990 (0-1 SEVCO)
- 1992 (1-0 Tic)
- 1994 (0-1 Tic)
- 1995 (2-1 SEVCO)
- 1997 (1-3 Arabs)
- 2000 (1-0 Arabs)
- 2008 (1-4 Arabs)
- 2011 (1-4 Tic)
- 2014 (4-0 St Johnstone)
- 2016 (2-0 Morton)
- 2018 (1-0 SEVCO)
- 2023 (1-2 SEVCO)
- 2023 (1-0 Hibs)

29 Semis
14 Wins

You're missing the 2014/15 League Cup semi, lost 2-1 to Dundee United at Hampden.