Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Livingston v AFC

14 minutes ago, Stewart said:

It's been said countless times but that pitch is a fucking disgrace. Look at the patch Clarkson is standing on

That's a brand new piece of plastic. One of the best bits of the whole pitch.

Plastic pitches in general are absolutely fine. However, it's possible to make them absolutely shite by not adding moisture and doubling up the rubber pellets, which is clearly what happened. It was gamed to be extra shite. On numerous occasions the ball held up in the rubber pellets and you could see the pellets flying in the air when the ball bounced on them. Both teams played several passes that didn't run true and held up short (our best chance, that Polvara fucked up came from such a pass). Whilst we made little attempt to pass anyway, if we had we'd have seen just how poor the surface was. Quick passing football would have been extremely difficult. Obviously, this isn't particular to plastic pitches, the equivalent on grass is to let it grow long and narrow the pitch dimensions. I suppose it's no less unsporting than us having three times Livingston's budget.

I remember when plastic pitches were first brought in, every away team in that first season was offered the chance to go train on the pitch the day before.

I think that rule should still be in place. Aberdeen should have been allowed down there on the Friday to give the new signings a run out on it.

Now maybe Livi - like Rico says - add more pellets that evening after we're finished, but would imagine an hour on the pitch is still beneficial and removes some of the advantages of having a plastic pitch.

57 minutes ago, Panda said:

I remember when plastic pitches were first brought in, every away team in that first season was offered the chance to go train on the pitch the day before.

I think that rule should still be in place. Aberdeen should have been allowed down there on the Friday to give the new signings a run out on it.

Now maybe Livi - like Rico says - add more pellets that evening after we're finished, but would imagine an hour on the pitch is still beneficial and removes some of the advantages of having a plastic pitch.

The purpose of plastic pitches should be to have as close to homogeneity as possible. They should be predictable, and training at Cormack park should be as near to the same as playing at Livingston. Instead, we're now at a point where grass pitches are becoming more and more predictable to a point where plastic is redundant other than for the fact that the local council can play their fives game on it on a Friday night.

• 2 weeks later...