Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Livingston v AFC

15 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Hey, positive spin. McKenna was bang average at ayr and through luck an opportunity arose to play and he took it. Rest is history, maybe it repeats itself with polvara! Hope so, would be a huge gain.

Polvara has a great touch and can spread the ball well, I'm definitely not criticising him. I'm just pointing out that if Robson tries to play him the way he utilised Ramadani then he's hanging the lad out to dry. I don't think he will, Polvara will either be part of a two with Shinnie or in front of them. I'd hope the former. 

Edit: I guess it's a similar situation that Ramadani was in at the beginning of last season. Goodwin kept playing him on his own in front of the defence, and he clearly wasn't good enough to play there, before Robson recognised that Clarkson could easily manage that role.

Edited by RicoS321

Back three the only concern today. Hopefully they come together. I'd assume that once we get another CB in Devlin will move to wing back or dadia well play there with the other moving to CB. 

Strong squad, if have liked to see sokler given the nod but otherwise it's about as strong as we can be.

Early thoughts.

Polvara is fucking amazing and shame on all of you who doubted him.

Rubezic thumping Guthrie after he had spent half an hour going after every Aberdeen player has just earned him a place in the Aberdeen hall of fame.

All we need now is a shot on target.

John Beaton losing control of the game as usual. 

There's been three bookings and yet none of them has been Kurtis Guthrie which is astonishing. 

Towards the end of the half we looked more threatening, a few more overlaps and getting into their box. Morris again though seeing plenty of the ball but doing nothing with it.

Polvara is playing very well in midfield. Using his physicality and passing it well. Ylber who?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Good god brutal watch.

Yep, the unwatered plastic pitch is a fucking scam. They seem to have loaded it with double the volume of rubber pellets too, making sure the ball can't move along the ground. The number of passes that have held up from both teams on what should be a true running pitch is a joke. We're not getting battered about though, a Robson side definitely harder than a Goodwin one. Rubezic looks good, and Devlin and Shinnie also playing well. Miovski is putting in a shift too. Polvara good on the ball, but he's not mobile enough for the role and Clarkson appears to be struggling with the pitch. Morris getting the ball too deep to have any impact.

3 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Yep, the unwatered plastic pitch is a fucking scam. They seem to have loaded it with double the volume of rubber pellets too, making sure the ball can't move along the ground. The number of passes that have held up from both teams on what should be a true running pitch is a joke. We're not getting battered about though, a Robson side definitely harder than a Goodwin one. Rubezic looks good, and Devlin and Shinnie also playing well. Miovski is putting in a shift too. Polvara good on the ball, but he's not mobile enough for the role and Clarkson appears to be struggling with the pitch. Morris getting the ball too deep to have any impact.

Morris has had the ball in the final third a few times. Done nothing and yet to see this lightening pace he supposedly possesses.

2 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Morris has had the ball in the final third a few times. Done nothing and yet to see this lightening pace he supposedly possesses.

Agreed, but in his defence, their back three is sitting deep and if he gets beyond the wing back the defender is always there. He's not received a pass in front of him yet (until Polvara just now!).

Brutal game. Polvara was decent but I definitely think a signing to replace Rama is needed. Thought the big slob was very good although they played to his strengths I’d say. Morris looks very much the player we had last year and hayes doesn’t have the dangerous pace to beat most players any more. Minimal width today which will make every game tough. Teams will lose there, could have been better, could have been worse. 

A honking opener against a brutal side. Positives were that the defence played well, Rubezic looks good and so does Devlin. Negatives are that we're probably a worse side than last season. Morris isn't good enough, but it was clear that there's nobody to replace him at wing back. Hopefully Devlin moves forward as Macdonald returns, moving Rubezic right. I'm guessing Dadia is pish before he wasn't trusted today (moving Devlin forward). Polvara was decent but doesn't balance the midfield in the way that Ramadani does. I'd definitely push Clarkson forward if we're continuing with him. Moving Polvara to right midfield was a very poor decision. To only make one sub in that game is ridiculous. Sokler needs to be coming on for Miovski or Duk, just throwing on all the strikers is idiotic. It's almost like he's afraid to take either of those two off, again very reminiscent of McInnes (Rooney and McGinn). Duk was poor. 

Anyway, honking pitch and a spoiled game.

3 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

A honking opener against a brutal side. Positives were that the defence played well, Rubezic looks good and so does Devlin. Negatives are that we're probably a worse side than last season. Morris isn't good enough, but it was clear that there's nobody to replace him at wing back. Hopefully Devlin moves forward as Macdonald returns, moving Rubezic right. I'm guessing Dadia is pish before he wasn't trusted today (moving Devlin forward). Polvara was decent but doesn't balance the midfield in the way that Ramadani does. I'd definitely push Clarkson forward if we're continuing with him. Moving Polvara to right midfield was a very poor decision. To only make one sub in that game is ridiculous. Sokler needs to be coming on for Miovski or Duk, just throwing on all the strikers is idiotic. It's almost like he's afraid to take either of those two off, again very reminiscent of McInnes (Rooney and McGinn). Duk was poor. 

Anyway, honking pitch and a spoiled game.

I’d say that’s Barry Robson tactics. Didn’t go all out to win the game, played not to lose it and pick up an away point. First to last minute we didn’t play pretty but played hard not to lose.
I’d rather have seen or Dadia come on and move devlin forward, polvara gave nothing on the right, did no more than morris there. Would rather ester came on for Duk, he was poor today.

• Like 1

That was awful. Why did we try to punt the ball long for 90 minutes against a team of giants. Zero width. Morris was rotten. Cannot believe it took 80 minutes for him to be hooked. I am guessing Robson has no faith in most of bench today as that’s only reason I can think of for not making changes they were clearly needed. 

Next week could be very painful. 

We've had an unsettled pre-season, not playing what will be our starting defence, Devlin playing out of position, Miovski and Duk not quite 100% fit, Polvara playing in defence then today into midfield.

That all told today. Looked like a side not quite ready for the start of the season, as if they were all still trying to get to know each other.

We at least still look solid at the back. Pleasing also to see that Guthrie and Montano - who were both throwing themselves about and trying to bully* our lot - both got nailed separately. Shows we have a team who won't roll over.

*Montano seemed to take a disliking very early on to Morris and went after him the entire time he was on the park.

Need the wing backs to offer more though. Both Hayes and Morris got into good positions but crossing and finishing was really poor.

Edited by Panda

28 minutes ago, Panda said:

We've had an unsettled pre-season, not playing what will be our starting defence, Devlin playing out of position, Miovski and Duk not quite 100% fit, Polvara playing in defence then today into midfield.

That all told today. Looked like a side not quite ready for the start of the season, as if they were all still trying to get to know each other.

We at least still look solid at the back. Pleasing also to see that Guthrie and Montano - who were both throwing themselves about and trying to bully* our lot - both got nailed separately. Shows we have a team who won't roll over.

*Montano seemed to take a disliking very early on to Morris and went after him the entire time he was on the park.

Need the wing backs to offer more though. Both Hayes and Morris got into good positions but crossing and finishing was really poor.

I thought Hayes looked 35 today, couldn’t beat his man for pace, his bread and butter. Think Richardson is better than Morris, hopefully his loan gets him better. Morris is a back up. What’s the deal with Vinny?? We have to have attacking width and neither Hayes or Morris gave us much at all. Cormack said 4-5 signings, hopefully 5 with Rama leaving. Think we need right and left mid, plus a rama’s replacement.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

I thought Hayes looked 35 today, couldn’t beat his man for pace, his bread and butter. Think Richardson is better than Morris, hopefully his loan gets him better. Morris is a back up. What’s the deal with Vinny?? We have to have attacking width and neither Hayes or Morris gave us much at all. Cormack said 4-5 signings, hopefully 5 with Rama leaving. Think we need right and left mid, plus a rama’s replacement.

Vinny doesn't have much pace though (not that I've noticed) so dunno where you play him in a 3-5-2, as he's not gonna get up the pitch as a wing back,  and if you changed the middle three to incorporate a number 10 you'd rather have Clarkson or, dare I say it, Polvara there.

Never been to Livi,and no intention of going either.And today sums up why.Shit location,to watch whats usually a shite game of fitba.Wasnt overly filled with confidence before the game,but thought we would deal with them better than we did,though I think their size and physicality caught us a bit by surprise.

Going to take us a few more weeks to cobble a full side together,and then allow time for them to gel,so if we can avoid a tanking next week and elswhere, keep a run going in Europe,ill take a defeat or two meantime if were seeing definite signs of progress