Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Livingston v AFC

So first meaningful game of the season and claiming the honour of starting the thread. Far too early too discuss potential starting line up BUT who else is joining me in person in being at the match ?

Will be back closer to the game day with predictions but in the meantime COYR 👍

Surely must be time for Tom Widdows to start the predictor thread 😉

Don’t know if I’m ready for the season to start yet, I don’t feel like we’re there as a squad yet but the date is the date! 

haven’t really paid much attention to what most of the rest of the league have done over summer and with their pitch, would we want to start Rubezic?  Be very interested to see if we still have Ramadani, I’d imagine we won’t see him in red again as they’ll want to keep him wrapped in cotton wool? 

Should be a good crowd from the Dons! Certainly sounds like plenty of folk are heading for it.

I am optimistic about this season, however at this moment in time there's an argument to be made that we're weaker than we were at the end of last season.

The defence is missing McDonald and Williams. Rubezic hasn't kicked a ball yet, Dadia hasn't played 90 minutes, Devlin has been moved about. Add to that Pollock and Scales are big fish (sorry)that are no longer there, and although Rico assures us it'll be fine - at the moment I'd say McCrorie is still a big loss (but Devlin and/or Dadia haven't had a run at RWB yet so fair enough on that one).

The midfield is pretty much the same except for an unsettled Ramadani, a Polvara who I don't think has actually played in midfield during pre-season yet, and a Morris that the has been given a re-trial after new evidence came to light that he might have some pace, but the jury is still out on him (again, I'm sorry).

Up front I guess we're okay, but we're at least two signings away from me being calm about the season starting.

I'd take an untidy 1-0 right now. Lot of people suggesting Livingston will struggle this season but I think they'll be okay.

Got to be a first. Two players named Devlin making their debuts for their new clubs against their old clubs, in the same game.  Couldn't make it up.

I have a feeling we will absolutely hammer them.  Must say, this is the most optimistic about a season that I have been for a number of years.  The lack of Scots in our team still bugs me but I can see this being a good season.

Going for a 4-0 win. 50/1 if anyone is tempted 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

In

M77 then M8

Away End

M8 then M77

1-3 (Bojan, Clarkson & Sokler)

Should be some atmosphere with over 4,000 of us in attendance and easily outnumbering the home support.

In

train down

Beers somewhere in Livingston as Edinburgh will be heaving (egg-chasers game at Murrayfield KO 3:15)

train back

Beers celebrating still being at the top of the league

Hard one to assess, I’m going to assume Macdonald doesn’t make it. Purely a guess, but - 

roos

milne slob mackenzie

Shinnie barron

devlin clarkson hayes

duk miovski

The strength and security of a team comes from the defense and I have no clue if our defense is any good. I’d say highest scoring team wins.

3-2 us, Duke miovski and ester 

From the way Polvara was talked up I expect him to start on Saturday but not sure if that will be as one of a back 3 with Rubi and McKenzie or in midfield as Ramadani’s replacement. No real width in the team which is a concern. With us playing Victims next this has to be one we win. 

In

Train then pub

away end

Trying to keep wife out of shops then train back to capital. 

2-1 Miovski and Clarkson

10 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Hard one to assess, I’m going to assume Macdonald doesn’t make it. 

Robson said on Wednesday that McDonald would definitely be back for Celtic, and might make Livingston, so you never know.

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.2441c13bfd926498acaed1d2156eca0e.jpeg

If McDonald does make if then would stick him in the middle with Rubezic to the right.

If Barron starts then a big one for him, as over the next seven days I expect we'll spend the Ramadani money on someone.

Likewise, big game for Mackenzie as Williams and McDonald be back soon. Needs to make LCB his own.

Edited by Panda
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Panda said:

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.2441c13bfd926498acaed1d2156eca0e.jpeg

If McDonald does make if then would stick him in the middle with Rubezic to the right.

If Barron starts then a big one for him, as over the next seven days I expect we'll spend the Ramadani money on someone.

Likewise, big game for Mackenzie as Williams and McDonald be back soon. Needs to make LCB his own.

Looks about right. I'd probably change up the midfield and have Barron and Shinnie sitting with Clarkson in front. Barron can't play that box to box midfield role that Ramadani and Shinnie did since Robson came in, which allows Clarkson to sit and pass. Similarly, Clarkson couldn't do it I'm reverse. Barron was at his best either playing the number six (where he's worse than Clarkson, obviously) or as part of a two (which Shinnie can do obviously). Clarkson is best space either side of him either in a number six or number ten role, so I'd push him in front of the two with the remit of pushing far up field and shooting lots. I think it would be very unfair to expect Barron (or Polvara) to play the Ramadani role, but I trust Robson to understand the requirements, he was very quick to spot the midfield deficiencies originally and was quick to move Clarkson to his best position. 

McKenzie is cover at best, we'll definitely be getting a replacement there. I like his attitude, but I don't think he's ever going to make it for us. We'll certainly need him tomorrow and probably a few more times this year and we should easily be able to accommodate him if the rest of the defence is fit, which might be the biggest issue tomorrow.

38 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Looks about right. I'd probably change up the midfield and have Barron and Shinnie sitting with Clarkson in front. Barron can't play that box to box midfield role that Ramadani and Shinnie did since Robson came in, which allows Clarkson to sit and pass. Similarly, Clarkson couldn't do it I'm reverse. Barron was at his best either playing the number six (where he's worse than Clarkson, obviously) or as part of a two (which Shinnie can do obviously). Clarkson is best space either side of him either in a number six or number ten role, so I'd push him in front of the two with the remit of pushing far up field and shooting lots. I think it would be very unfair to expect Barron (or Polvara) to play the Ramadani role, but I trust Robson to understand the requirements, he was very quick to spot the midfield deficiencies originally and was quick to move Clarkson to his best position. 

I dunno, I think if it do that you stifle Shinnie a little. If anyone sits deep other than Clarkson it'll be Barron I would think.

That's presuming Barron starts, don't think he started any of the pre-season games. There's every chance it's Morris, with the remit that he goes wide and the RWB covers him centrally.

38 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

McKenzie is cover at best, we'll definitely be getting a replacement there. I like his attitude, but I don't think he's ever going to make it for us. We'll certainly need him tomorrow and probably a few more times this year and we should easily be able to accommodate him if the rest of the defence is fit, which might be the biggest issue tomorrow.

Do you think we'll sign any more defenders though?

If McGarry is coming in, that means we have him, Mackenzie, Williams, McDonald, Rubezic, Dadia, Devlin. That's seven before counting Hayes, Milne, Stewart and Polvara.

5 hours ago, Panda said:

I dunno, I think if it do that you stifle Shinnie a little. If anyone sits deep other than Clarkson it'll be Barron I would think.

That's presuming Barron starts, don't think he started any of the pre-season games. There's every chance it's Morris, with the remit that he goes wide and the RWB covers him centrally.

Do you think we'll sign any more defenders though?

If McGarry is coming in, that means we have him, Mackenzie, Williams, McDonald, Rubezic, Dadia, Devlin. That's seven before counting Hayes, Milne, Stewart and Polvara.

Shinnie played in a 4-2-3-1 for us for years under McInnes and wasn't stifled. This would be no different, he'd still get up and down but just wouldn't be pressing high as often.

Only one of those defenders has a left foot. If we're not getting Scales (and if I were Rodgers, I'd probably dick about for another 10 days before deciding), we definitely need a left sided centre back. Macdonald will play central with Rubezic right of him and Dadia, Polvara and McKenzie providing cover and Williams going back to Liverpool at Christmas with a few sub appearances if he's lucky. Stewart will be shot into the sun. Milne will be in charge of making up the Scottish youth product numbers until January.

If we score early I would fancy us to win quite comfortably.   If we don't it could be a real slog, livi away is rarely an easy game and we are going in with an untried defence. 

No idea how we will line up, fascinated to see what it's going to be.  

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Shinnie played in a 4-2-3-1 for us for years under McInnes and wasn't stifled. This would be no different, he'd still get up and down but just wouldn't be pressing high as often.

Only one of those defenders has a left foot. If we're not getting Scales (and if I were Rodgers, I'd probably dick about for another 10 days before deciding), we definitely need a left sided centre back. Macdonald will play central with Rubezic right of him and Dadia, Polvara and McKenzie providing cover and Williams going back to Liverpool at Christmas with a few sub appearances if he's lucky. Stewart will be shot into the sun. Milne will be in charge of making up the Scottish youth product numbers until January.

Well Celtic have a defensive "crisis" so every chance Scales is in the squad or even plays against Aberdeen next week. We'll probably boo him, then sign him the following week and welcome him home like a war hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back three of Devlin, Rubezic and McKenzie I would think. Morris and Hayes in the wings. Be interesting to see where Polvara plays. If Clarkson is deep then Polvara better have improved significantly from last season, as there's no way he does a high press - he doesn't have the engine of Ramadani (is nothing like him as a player). I'd hope it's Shinnie and Polvara with Clarkson pressing high. 

It's not a great side, maybe even worse than the one that finished last season, but if Duk and Miovski are on their game then we should have enough.

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Back three of Devlin, Rubezic and McKenzie I would think. Morris and Hayes in the wings. Be interesting to see where Polvara plays. If Clarkson is deep then Polvara better have improved significantly from last season, as there's no way he does a high press - he doesn't have the engine of Ramadani (is nothing like him as a player). I'd hope it's Shinnie and Polvara with Clarkson pressing high. 

It's not a great side, maybe even worse than the one that finished last season, but if Duk and Miovski are on their game then we should have enough.

Hey, positive spin. McKenna was bang average at ayr and through luck an opportunity arose to play and he took it. Rest is history, maybe it repeats itself with polvara! Hope so, would be a huge gain.