Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Tommie Hoban Question

Absolutely exudes class and just so calm under pressure

Don't think any of us have any illusions that if it were not for the injury history he would be nowhere near Aberdeen

Don't wish to tempt fate by starting this topic, but it is something that requires to be given a degree of thought.

With each passing week we get nearer to the end of his short term deal. With each passing game he completes without issue he'll start to attract attention elsewhere and the danger is that someone starts sniffing around him. He wasn't on the books of an English Premiership team for no reason.

The dilemma therefore as I see it is straight forward, at what point do we sit him down and put the contract extension to him and how do we balance the risk factor of contract length versus wage required to retain his services. There appears little doubt that Tommie is happy to be here and grateful to us for taking the risk on him but how much will that count for come the negotiations 

17 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Absolutely exudes class and just so calm under pressure

Don't think any of us have any illusions that if it were not for the injury history he would be nowhere near Aberdeen

Don't wish to tempt fate by starting this topic, but it is something that requires to be given a degree of thought.

With each passing week we get nearer to the end of his short term deal. With each passing game he completes without issue he'll start to attract attention elsewhere and the danger is that someone starts sniffing around him. He wasn't on the books of an English Premiership team for no reason.

The dilemma therefore as I see it is straight forward, at what point do we sit him down and put the contract extension to him and how do we balance the risk factor of contract length versus wage required to retain his services. There appears little doubt that Tommie is happy to be here and grateful to us for taking the risk on him but how much will that count for come the negotiations 

I was thinking about this over the weekend, exact same opinion as you. He’s class and we’re not the only team that sees that. I’d extend him now, with a release clause. Definitely a gamble worth taking. If we can gamble 800k on Hernandez, we can afford to gamble on Hoban. Especially now with McKenna gone, he’s the anchor of our defense.

Edited by LA-Don

I actually think that a quicker player would tear him apart in the big leagues. He's good like, and I like him, but he has a little bit missing from his game. He's nae Anderson with his positioning. Definitely get him on a contract with a sell on though, as he'll get better and better. 

Absolutely offer him a contract now.  If he can stay fit, he'll be one of the biggest assets in defence.  As I said in the other thread, Devlin can GTF.  Given both have bad injury records, i'd rather have one that adds to the team than one who doesn't. We are lucky to have him, but he's also lucky to have us. I hope he shows us the same loyalty when the offer is put forward. But please AFC, don't wait until the last few weeks.