Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Revamped Art Gallery

Went today to the opening weekend, surprised to say it is absolutely fantastic, and streets ahead of the much vaunted V&A, other than the horrific container extension on the roof.

Lots o interesting and unusual shit, and of course the usual pretentious crap that gives art a bad name. Like the Black Night picture that looks more like a Blackboard. I mean any cunt could do that, but no, it's "art"  ::)  Or it's neighbouring painting, "Black Bleeding", full of "controlled austerity" & "marks of his personality", when in reality to the sceptical eye, it's someone taking the piss and knocking something up in 10 minutes.

Anyway, Marie Boulton, you've surprised me you arrogant, intansigent, inflexible cunt. £37.5m though, nae sure that's really value for money.

Went past it yesterday, but becasue of the game I didn't have the time, but looking forward to seeing what they have done. Seemed the re-opening was a bit of a washout yesterday due to the rain, certainly not people queuing, but hope they got a good turnout.

I did notice yesterday they were searching peoples bags before gaining entry and which I'm not a fan of.

I actually think the V&A building in Dundee looks great, haven't went in as didn't like the V&A in London, but it looks great in my opinion anyway.

I did notice yesterday they were searching peoples bags before gaining entry and which I'm not a fan of.

Nae outside food.

I actually think the V&A building in Dundee looks great, haven't went in as didn't like the V&A in London, but it looks great in my opinion anyway.

Aye, it's fantastic and pretty decent inside. Although, I think Garlogie was indeed referring to its internals rather than outside look? In which case, it will be an interesting visit at some point.

The Dundee V & A building architecture is superb. The permanent exhibition was poor and uninspiring, mildly interesting at best and when we went, the pay-for exhibition was about ocean liners, a subject I couldn't give a fuck about so we didn't bother. Not heard of any further exhibitions before or since so not been back.

Looking forward to seeing the revamp at Aberdeen and will go this week. From the news, it sounds like they're trying to be "all things to all men". Interactive stuff sounds good in principle but it will be embarrassing if it's done badly. I'm also sceptical that the Aberdeen coonsillors have any clue about anything modern art related so again, trying to fill the place with "something for everyone" could backfire if the quality is shit. I've no confidence that the next Basquiat is Scottish and even less confidence that people running the gallery could even recognise him if he was.

That's a distinctly glass half empty approach from a mannie who's glass is usually three quarters full.

Lots o interesting and unusual shit, and of course the usual pretentious crap that gives art a bad name. Like the Black Night picture that looks more like a Blackboard. I mean any cunt could do that, but no, it's "art"  ::)  Or it's neighbouring painting, "Black Bleeding", full of "controlled austerity" & "marks of his personality", when in reality to the sceptical eye, it's someone taking the piss and knocking something up in 10 minutes.

Are you familiar with Mark Rothko?

I do batter paintings masel

I must admit that I also had a similarly cynical and contemptuous view of some modern art in times gone past... aye, before Ally McLeod was AFC manager, then I grew up.

Before condemning a subject, one needs to understand it or at least have invested enough time to be able to make such a judgement and pronouncement without being completely ignorant of it.

Rothko sold for $186m and there are numerous modern art works, including the UK's Freud and Bacon, that have similarly sold for over $100m so there is no doubt that some people see value in it. The first Rothko I saw at the RA during the Abstract Expressionism exhibition, I didn't get at all despite my eldest daughter preferring his stuff to the Jackson Pollock's that caught my imagination. Having now seen the Rothko room at Tate Modern, I'm now a big fan and want to go to the chapel he did in Houston.

The Basquiat that sold for $110.5m wasn't even his best work but some Japanese businessman thought it was worth paying that.

You remind me of the wealthy Nippon. He spent that much just because he can without necessarily having a clue what he was paying for. The vast majority of the people who attended the opening of the revamped Art Gallery at Schoolhill at the weekend like you similarly would have had no idea what they were looking at but they HAD TO BE FIRST. Why would someone who genuinely appreciates art and who understands anything about it want to attend amongst a big crowd of people who have to be first? It's much more enjoyable to share the rooms with less of a crowd, not more.

I must admit that I also had a similarly cynical and contemptuous view of some modern art in times gone past... aye, before Ally McLeod was AFC manager, then I grew up.

Before condemning a subject, one needs to understand it or at least have invested enough time to be able to make such a judgement and pronouncement without being completely ignorant of it.

Rothko sold for $186m and there are numerous modern art works, including the UK's Freud and Bacon, that have similarly sold for over $100m so there is no doubt that some people see value in it. The first Rothko I saw at the RA during the Abstract Expressionism exhibition, I didn't get at all despite my eldest daughter preferring his stuff to the Jackson Pollock's that caught my imagination. Having now seen the Rothko room at Tate Modern, I'm now a big fan and want to go to the chapel he did in Houston.

The Basquiat that sold for $110.5m wasn't even his best work but some Japanese businessman thought it was worth paying that.

You remind me of the wealthy Nippon. He spent that much just because he can without necessarily having a clue what he was paying for. The vast majority of the people who attended the opening of the revamped Art Gallery at Schoolhill at the weekend like you similarly would have had no idea what they were looking at but they HAD TO BE FIRST. Why would someone who genuinely appreciates art and who understands anything about it want to attend amongst a big crowd of people who have to be first? It's much more enjoyable to share the rooms with less of a crowd, not more.

Not quite getting his stuff. If Im supposed to see or get something,I'm willing to be enlightened https://www.google.com/search?q=images+google+mark+rothko+paintings&oq=images+google+mark+rothko+paintings&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.16594j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3fb34l.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I'll be there again this weekend Mr Bragg

I think the revamp is excellent. Great to see the Monet again and I love the Emin positioned front and centre.

Really like the top floor and the idiosyncratically Scottish photos.

Only disappointment was Titian's first essay in colour wasn't on display despite the shop having a book with it on the cover. I thought the Francis Bacon was ludicrously positioned in a gallery full of mostly shite but the one next to it was superb, something I'd not seen before.

I agree that "Black Bleeding" was hard work and hope that they didn't pay decent money for it. Never saw Black Sky though. Night Sky in the same room was interesting however.

Overall a very good experience. Will be back soon no doubt.

Was in today for a quick look around as didn't have a great deal of time and have to say I thought they have done a good job of the upgrade. Seems to be a lot more spacious and not so many paintings squashed on to one wall like they used to be.

They have a new Lowry, which was given to the Gallery by the Government who received it in liue of taxes from someone. Lowry is my favourite, I know not everyone likes him and some don't even regard him as an artist as his style is too simple for them, but I just like his work and enjoy seeing different things everytime you look at them, for me the sign of good art.

I had a walk out into the viewing platform in the top floor, which give you a great view over Belmont street, one of my favourite areas of the city, but that new flats they have just built across the road are an eyesore and not in keeping with what is around it.

Will try and get back soon to spend a bit more time looking.

As you describe works of art in our local gallery as "taking the piss" or something that "anyone can do", is it all Abstract and Abstract Expressionist art that you detest?

That's one question. Here's another; do you consider the people who pay over 100 million for a single work of it mad?

I like some where there seems to have been some effort, but things like "night sky" are taking the piss.

IMG-20191111-165545.jpg

Stuff like this where you can feel the anger, I kinda get. You?

I like some where there seems to have been some effort, but things like "night sky" are taking the piss.

IMG-20191111-165545.jpg

Stuff like this where you can feel the anger, I kinda get. You?

Ok so you're the judge and jury as to what's "taking the piss".

Let's not even go there as to what your criteria and definitions might be.

Stuff like that? What the fuck is that? Looks like you've screenshotted part of a larger work to me but if that's meant to be a complete work, it looks like total shite in my opinion. You feel the anger? What the fuck's he angry about? I don't see nor feel anything in that abortion.