Author Topic: Summer Transfer chat  (Read 92168 times)

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -985
Re: Summer Transfer chat
« Reply #640 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »
The importance of those attributes is diluted somewhat when that is a striker’s only attributes.

Offline Ramperbamper

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 2
« Reply #641 on: July 19, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
The importance of those attributes is diluted somewhat when that is a striker’s only attributes.

Hence why McInnes is perhaps looking for a more complete striker as his top man upfront, rather than a number of individuasl who can only hold it up/score tap ins/run about but contribute little else.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 24
« Reply #642 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
I think there's a player in Cosgrove and there is defo a player in May.  I'm wondering if Dm is thinking about Anderson getting more game time this season or giving mcginn a more centrap role and putting wright out wide.  Don't get me wrong I  would like to see a new striker come in though.  Re wallace?  No.  Just no.  Fucking hun issues aside he's too injury prone and is 30 now.  Would love to see a new lb more than any other position in all honesty.

Agree with most of that.Only thing I'm not sure about is whether Cosgrove has a strikers instinct in him waiting to be teased out,or that it isnt atcually there in the first place.Half the problem I think has been the lack of supply to the strikers,with an inconsistent GMS and Stewart (who wasnt a natural winger),and therefore unfair to be over critical.Would also be keen to see what McGinn could do as a partner to May or Cosgrove,with possibly Wright out wide or AN other
    Convincing Shinnie we need him at left back(not his favoured position),....and assuming the new midfield are upto the task,eg Ball and Gleeson sitting,with Forrester further forward?,...curious to see what that line up does with an addition or 2 here and there
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:20:42 PM by Elgindon »

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #643 on: July 19, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
Anyway on a different tack......and this one might get me a wheen o' Durrants. We know we need cover for Logan but left back is also a big problem, DM steadfastly refuses to play Shinnie there except in dire emergency and we all know Consi just isnt up to the job when facing anyone with a modicum of pace.

Now sevco have 4 left backs vying for one spot. Looks like the wife beater Flanagan will be 1st choice. Lee Wallace is persona non grata around Ibrokes these days probably considered 4th choice behind Hodson. Honestly thought Fartz would make a move to try to get him in but theyve signed everyone else in the world but him it seems.

Should we make a move? Even a year on loan initially we could prob afford to pay 50% of his wages and sure sevco would be glad to get him out the door.

Do you really see rangers doing business with McInnes/Aberdeen given what happened with DM?

Offline February1971

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: -1
« Reply #644 on: July 19, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »
Gutted Rooneys left, awful business by the club. All this all he does is scores tap ins and penalties.... :hammer: :hammer: goal scorers score fuckin goals. Now we don’t have any goal scorers. What  the fuck is all that about? Unless McLnnes has this covered it’s a big fuck up by the club.

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #645 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
Gutted Rooneys left, awful business by the club. All this all he does is scores tap ins and penalties.... :hammer: :hammer: goal scorers score fuckin goals. Now we don’t have any goal scorers. What  the fuck is all that about? Unless McLnnes has this covered it’s a big fuck up by the club.

We've arguably lost our 3 best/most influential players in the last 12 months in Hayes, McLean, and Rooney. For all Rooney's flaws he scored goals and it's no coincidence last year was more of a struggle in attack - we scored 18 less goals in the league with no Hayes and Rooney playing less (not the only reason but significant.)

GMS is not as good as Hayes, no clue if Ferguson or Forrester will be as influential as McLean, and Rooney's goals have to come from somewhere - May and/or Cosgrove do not look like the answer so far. The club's wage bill must be SIGNIFICANTLY less with all the players gone, surely we should expect more than a forward and right sided defender to come in?

I know silence and no news kills us all but this is not good stuff right now, especially with Burnley NEXT WEEK!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:33:51 PM by LA-Don »

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #646 on: July 19, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »

Do you really see rangers doing business with McInnes/Aberdeen given what happened with DM?

I think they'd do business with anyone to get Wallace out the door. Perhaps you have missed what happened with Miller and Wallace at the back end of last season but there seems to be no way back for him at Mordor and I believe they are both taking legal action over the club fines sevco imposed.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #647 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Apparently we didnt want to let him go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44890774

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #648 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
Apparently we didnt want to let him go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44890774

And that’s the shite I don’t want to hear. He’s our player and we don’t sell until it’s suits us. That didn’t appear to happen.....unless we were offered a good transfer see but ‘good’ is certainly subjective.

Online tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 38
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #649 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
And that’s the shite I don’t want to hear. He’s our player and we don’t sell until it’s suits us. That didn’t appear to happen.....unless we were offered a good transfer see but ‘good’ is certainly subjective.

That is the tactic that brought about the Bosman ruling.
If Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave then even with several years on a contract he was going to go. Agents, and if necessary lawyers will find a way out of any contract
Now if someone can find evidence of Rooney being 'pushed out' against his wishes then I will jump on the bandwagon of club bashing.

This is hardly the Dodds/ Winters betrayal.

Stevie May to find form and 21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Down South Rooney to start enjoing his football again

Aberdeen fans to continue in their quest to be the most negative in the country if not europe.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:24:25 PM by tom_widdows »
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #650 on: July 19, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
If Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave then even with several years on a contract he was going to go. Agents, and if necessary lawyers will find a way out of any contract
Now if someone can find evidence of Rooney being 'pushed out' against his wishes then I will jump on the bandwagon of club bashing.

Stevie May to find form and 21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Aberdeen fans to continue in their quest to be the most negative in the country if not europe.

You don’t think we have a right to be worried, and express it? Are you happy with the current squad with the season starting very soon?

Online tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 38
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #651 on: July 19, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »
I can barely name the squad these days but as far as I recall Rooney was not the lynch pin of last seasons 2nd place finish and every week someone seemed to be having a go at McLean yet now he is away panic has set in almost as if we didnt know that was going to happen.

Frankly Im amazed its taken this long for Rooney to find himself another club given he seemed to spend most of last seaoson on the bench and being brought on when there was either nothing left to play for, or having no time whatsoever. His 11 goals came in 8 games - St Johnstone (4), Partick (2), Ross County (2), Kilmarnock (1), St mirren (1) & Dundee United (1).

Squads change, players leave (whether the club wants them to or not) but the dons plough on.

Given my reputation it may seem strange to see me say this but get a grip some of ya.

Rather than panicking about the players who have left, why not concentrate on supporting the players who have arrived, or perhaps even the players we already have?

McInnes has hinted that the cash from Rooney may allow for 2 more players so lets see what he can do
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline February1971

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: -1
« Reply #652 on: July 19, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »
I can barely name the squad these days but as far as I recall Rooney was not the lynch pin of last seasons 2nd place finish and every week someone seemed to be having a go at McLean yet now he is away panic has set in almost as if we didnt know that was going to happen.

Frankly Im amazed its taken this long for Rooney to find himself another club given he seemed to spend most of last seaoson on the bench and being brought on when there was either nothing left to play for, or having no time whatsoever. His 11 goals came in 8 games - St Johnstone (4), Partick (2), Ross County (2), Kilmarnock (1), St mirren (1) & Dundee United (1).

Squads change, players leave (whether the club wants them to or not) but the dons plough on.

Given my reputation it may seem strange to see me say this but get a grip some of ya.

Rather than panicking about the players who have left, why not concentrate on supporting the players who have arrived, or perhaps even the players we already have?

McInnes has hinted that the cash from Rooney may allow for 2 more players so lets see what he can do
the thing is where did May and Gosgroves goals come from? Natural goal scorers are a rarity so good luck DM

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #653 on: July 19, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »

I’m not concerned about the actuality of Rooney leaving, it’s the fact that it’s another experienced player leaving and our season starts next week. We’ve lost/punted Stewart, OConnor, Arneson, McLean, Christie, Rooney, Rogers, and Maynard, six of those playing regularly. We’ve added Devlin who hasn’t played in a year and who is already carrying an injury, Forrester and Gleeson who I think will do well, and an 18 year old Ferguson. Of the recruits last year GMS is greatly inconsistent and a step or two down from Hayes, and May has so far failed to produce his St Johnstone form. Add Cosgrove to that, a youngster who doesn’t look like ever scoring. Fuck knows what happened to Tansey.

Please share specifics of what we should be optimistic about. We have three big games coming up, multiple injuries in a tiny squad, and losing Rooney just makes our squad even lighter.

Offline gogsred

• Under 16's
  • Rating: 0
« Reply #654 on: July 19, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »

Some common sense being spoken here. Whilst it is disappointing that we may not have a new striker and defender signed in time for the Burnley games things need to be put in perspective. The transfer window opened if I recall at the beginning of this month  when most players contracts ended. It doesn't close for another 6 weeks. 
Still time to get in the players that we need. I agree it would have been better to have a full squad before the competitive games began but that just doesn't seem to have been possible. I have no doubt that the management team won't have been sitting on their backsides over the last week or two.

Offline CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #655 on: July 20, 2018, 02:13:08 AM »
One of our biggest assets in the last few seasons has been the togetherness of the squad, and the fans. A feeling of unity amongst everyone connected with the club - fuelled by rangers demise and a series of 2nd place finishes, these have been relatively good times. The unity has gone. Season ticket sales are down. Fans are bickering on social media and turning away from the club....the whole mood around the place has taken a pessimistic turn.

This is a dangerous period for the dons. While the board commit millions to future infrastructure, the bread and butter side of the business seems to have been neglected. And all this despite the DNA promises of more football investment.

My worry is that rangers will get a massive lift from Gerrard. He is unproven, and he could be gone in a matter of months if they don’t get results. But their fans have bought into it big time, and they have unity and momentum going into the season - giving them a huge advantage in my opinion. So far our board have done nothing to ignite the passion of the fans and try to build on last season’s ‘success’.

I’m an optimist, but even I need to see some sort of ambition in the coming days - we’re in danger of imploding very very soon.  :frown:
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #656 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:06 AM »
Some common sense being spoken here. Whilst it is disappointing that we may not have a new striker and defender signed in time for the Burnley games things need to be put in perspective. The transfer window opened if I recall at the beginning of this month  when most players contracts ended. It doesn't close for another 6 weeks. 
Still time to get in the players that we need. I agree it would have been better to have a full squad before the competitive games began but that just doesn't seem to have been possible. I have no doubt that the management team won't have been sitting on their backsides over the last week or two.

Yes the window opened at the beginning of the month but we knew the situation we’d be in months ago, give or take a player or two. While I don’t expect us to have a final squad by now, we do not appear to be in a good situation. We have EIGHT experienced Aberdeen players, 4 more in McKenna, Ball, Cosgrove, and Wright who are 22 or younger, and 4 new signings, one who hasn’t played in a year and one an 18 year old. That is 16 players, a number who are injured, and includes one goalkeeper. For the supposed second best team in Scotland, that is an absolute shambles given the season starts next week. Am I expecting too much from a professional organization with high ambitions?

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #657 on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
Togetherness?

The squad are only employees and the fans are only customers.

Customers are important, especially when you want more money from them.

What's more, they've split their customers up into numerous different levels of importance.

To an extent this has always happened.

There's been a 50 club
It's been a wee bit dearer to sit in the main stand.

A lot of that though was driven by the customers themselves, this is different.

There's marketing going on.

I hate being marketed too.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 24
« Reply #658 on: July 20, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
We seem to be working within a small pool of buyable players of a decent standard. Only upside might be bring forced to blood more youngsters. Wouldn't be averse to signing up the best of young Scottish talent, and allowing a season or so of mid table mediocrity as long as we could see some signs of progress.
Whether they would be allowed the time am not sure , going by some of the pant wetting across  the forums

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #659 on: July 20, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
We've all been crying out for McInnes to blood the youngsters.

It's really the only way forward for a club like Aberdeen.

This has the feeling of desperation though.

I certainly hope that we have the new Simpson, Cooper, Hewitt, Black, McLeish etc. just waiting for their chance.