Author Topic: Scott McKenna  (Read 5182 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
Re: Scott McKenna
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
I would say some, not many. Some have improved. I think Shinnie, McLean, McGinn, Hayes, Considine, Lewis, Logan, Cosgrove (so far), Rooney were all better than under McInnes than they had been previously. They all seemed to enjoy playing for him too.

I don't see Shinnie as having improved under McInnes and I was aghast when he was moved from LB. He always had heart and dig, he was never that effective as a midfielder and wasn't a great provider as he lacked creative vision let alone execution but was reasonably successfully deployed there only to paper over the cracks of McInnes's very poor recruitment (of creative players).

McLean was infuriating UNTIL he signed a pre-contract for Norwich and it must have been self-motivation rather than anything the manager did to explain his vastly improved performances. On the contrary, he was murder and lazy for many months before his last 5.

McGinn was at his best when he scored 9 goals in 10 games, including for his country (v. Portugal I believe). I remember at St Mirren when we heard Clangers screaming from the other end of the pitch at McGinn, as he once again lost the ball and put in yet another abject shift. McGinn has only had flashes of great football over the years and they've been so rare and almost non-existent in his final months before he left and the whole time he's been back.

Hayes did what good footballers normally do, he did improve with age and experience.

Considine was misused by McInnes and it was only last season when Cons went public and said that he wasn't a LB. Considine was a great prospect in the last decade and whilst he's been a great servant, he's limited and I can't accept that the manager has improved him.

Lewis is a great keeper but McInnes spent years plodding on with Clangers so he's hardly qualified to add value to the goalkeeping function!

Logan was FAR superior in his first year. It has only been only time that he has regressed badly, under McInnes. That's as obvious an example as Greg Stewart.

Cosgrove is just a donkey who had a flash of competence in the middle of last season and as for Rooney, he was consistent in what he did, before and after McInnes.

We will never agree because you don't want to believe that he is as limited a manager as I know that he is, despite us agreeing on the following: -

The biggest issue for me is his inability to turn young players like Scott Wright, McLennan and so on into regular first team successes. He tries to make things far too difficult for players breaking through rather than give them basic instructions and a few simple tasks and allow the 7-8 more senior players to cover for their deficiencies and then increasing the instructions as they gain experience.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
Being reported on Talksport and in the Sun that McKenna has handed in a transfer request this morning. I heard that rumour early on (10ish) but presumed it was just that...a rumour.

Doubtless unsettled by us turning down the QPR and Notts Forest offers and his agent will no doubt have told him to take this action. Wonder if he will be on the flight to Croatia on Wednesday?

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
Being reported on Talksport and in the Sun that McKenna has handed in a transfer request this morning. I heard that rumour early on (10ish) but presumed it was just that...a rumour.

Doubtless unsettled by us turning down the QPR and Notts Forest offers and his agent will no doubt have told him to take this action. Wonder if he will be on the flight to Croatia on Wednesday?

Fucking hope this is shite TC

Know he is going to goat some point, but would rather it wasn't yet FFS
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 45
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
He’s under contract, we don’t have to accept his agent’s request.
Maybe just looking for a better contract for now?
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
Nah he's wanting out. Talk now of an EPL club showing interest. Villa back in maybe? I did find it strange he would try to force a move to QPR or Forest at this point but if it is a Premiership club then it makes sense.

EDIT...BBC website now going with the transfer request ana
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:24:53 PM by Ten Caat »

Offline Reidzer 1314

• First Team
  • Rating: 8
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
Pretty poor stuff if he has done this in a week where we have a massive game and a threadbare in central defence.

If true, I hope we hold firm on the valuation and get as much £££ for him as possible. 

Offline Sandaldinho

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 21
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Fair enough if a big money bid has come in but if he's just trying to force a move away then tell his agent to get to fuck. He signed the contract so I would expect him in the plane.
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
Where did the rumours surface? The hat? We do seem to the job of the weegie press quite well in unsettling our own team. He's a dons player under contract and he's a good professional so he'll do the business at Rijeka.

If an acceptable bid comes in then we take it (and immediately get him back on loan until January!) and move on. The ball is in our court.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
Given how DM has said more than once that McKenna may not be with us much longer, I wonder than plan. He’s also said a squad should have 7 defenders and we have 6, who he’s targeting as the replacement?

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
Rhecord now saying that the timing of it has infuriated DM and there's no way he will be sold unless a bid that matches the club's valuation is received.

Offline Reidzer 1314

• First Team
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
Chris Harvey Tweeting confirmation of the transfer request, also said that Ash Taylor is 2-3 weeks away from being back and Devlin not likely to be ready for Thursday.

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -985
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
This smells like Celtic.

Offline Reidzer 1314

• First Team
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
This smells like Celtic.

I had the exact same thought.

I know some people are talking about Leicester or Newcastle but they both have the money to meet a valuation with Aberdeen if they really wanted him.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
This smells like Celtic.

Timing suggests not. There's 4 weeks to go in the Scottish transfer window and Ajer hasn't left (yet anyway). With Celtic playing in Romania on Wednesday, they'll be too busy preparing for that today and will be flying out tomorrow, and with us flying out Wednesday to Croatia, there just isn't any need for the rush.

This is definitely his agent's doing and it's to England that McKenna wants to go. I honestly didn't think he would put in a transfer request at this point, but money talks. I'm guessing he's on around £4k/week with us but a Championship club could treble that, maybe even quadruple it and not break sweat.

Whatever transpires.......both McKenna and his agent now come out looking like total cunts

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »
McKenna can shove his request up his arse. He was happy to sign a long-term contract so unless we get a bid that meets our valuation, and a suitable replacement in, he can keep his trap shut.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:05 PM »
McKenna can shove his request up his arse. He was happy to sign a long-term contract so unless we get a bid that meets our valuation, and a suitable replacement in, he can keep his trap shut.

Meh, who knows. The club could also be being dicks here, they've got form. The best thing is transparency in these situations and I expect both the club and the agent are incapable of such. They should be working together in the best interests of the loon and the long term best for him is to go for as much money as possible, because that not only increases his wage in the short term, but will ensure that future offers retain a high value too. "Handing in a transfer request" is overtly political as it's contractually meaningless. However, if the club have turned down offers without informing/involving the player - for example - then that too is under-handed. Either way, the club should be able to deal quickly and easily with this type of thing and ensure that the boy plays this week and perhaps next too. He'll know that it's in his best interests to keep playing to the best of his ability and I've nae doubt he'll do that.

Unless he's taking the huff because McInnes told him he was shite yesterday of course, which he should have, because he was.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
I think its hard to draw a conclusion without knowing whats gone on behind the scenes. If McKenna has indicated he wants a transfer away privately before now then maybe he feels he needs to force the issue. If we have really had offers of £5 million+ with a decent sell on then we should sell him.

Offline SeeBass

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -76
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
Is anybody hearing anything about potential replacements because I'm guessing we'll need at least two in if Scott goes right??

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »
Is anybody hearing anything about potential replacements because I'm guessing we'll need at least two in if Scott goes right??

Nothing confirmed but Jason Kerr at St Johnstone and Stuart Findlay at Killie have been mentioned as possibles that might be within our budget. If McKenna were to leave, I think our preference would be for a left sided CH. Findlay I'm certain is naturally right sided, possibly Kerr too but Kerr certainly played on the left side alongside Shaughnessy on the right last season so maybe Kerr would be seen as the preferable option

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
Nothing confirmed but Jason Kerr at St Johnstone and Stuart Findlay at Killie have been mentioned as possibles that might be within our budget. If McKenna were to leave, I think our preference would be for a left sided CH. Findlay I'm certain is naturally right sided, possibly Kerr too but Kerr certainly played on the left side alongside Shaughnessy on the right last season so maybe Kerr would be seen as the preferable option

Sign them both!
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?