Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 26806 times)

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 10
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
I hate Brooks Koepka with a passion. The US PGA is all over, just hand the prat the trophy now.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -192
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2019, 02:59:33 AM »
I hate Brooks Koepka with a passion. The US PGA is all over, just hand the prat the trophy now.

I don't get that. What the fuck?

After watching Tommy for all 18 yesterday, we cut across to the 7th and saw him and Tiger hit their approaches. Crowd was too big by then to bother watching their last two but 63, 65, the man is a golfing genius. The principal reason Koepka is prevailing in the modern game is that he's a man. He's got big balls. He's a strong muthafucker unlike the AFC chairman, the AFC manager and most of you AFC supporting pussy pieces of shit.

NYC is a zoo by the way. Full of Americans. And dodgy Oirish gypsy cunt fucks.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

• First Team
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
Not disputing his ability, terrific mentality as well, I just don't like him.

After such an exciting Masters a real shame this tournament has a shite leaderboard.

Loved how you got a moan about Stewart Milne into a golf thread though.  :laughing:

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
Before you state publicly that you "hate with a passion" a person who (presumably) you've never met, there are reasons for this.

You may be ignorant of these reasons. You might not know why you hate him as you don't understand yourself? It might be rooted in jealousy? Perhaps anyone who has supreme self-confidence offends you? Those with great courage may be the ones who prick your sensibilities?

Whatever the reasons, whether you know them or not, it was a bizarre thing to post.

• First Team
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
How you could suggest that I would be jealous of a ripped, multi-millionaire that averages 308 yards off the tee is ridiculous.  ::)

• First Team
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Before you state publicly that you "hate with a passion" a person who (presumably) you've never met, there are reasons for this.

You may be ignorant of these reasons. You might not know why you hate him as you don't understand yourself? It might be rooted in jealousy? Perhaps anyone who has supreme self-confidence offends you? Those with great courage may be the ones who prick your sensibilities?

Whatever the reasons, whether you know them or not, it was a bizarre thing to post.

Glad you asked this question because it got me thinking and took a while to work out the reason for my irrational deep rooted hatred of Koepka.

Think it is more because of what he represents rather than the man himself if that makes sense.  To me he represents a changing of the guard in the game in that a lot of the golfers I grew up with are no longer dominating the sport.  Possibly that qualifies as jealously, who knows?  It is probably the reality of getting older I guess.  You see it a lot on this forum with people harping back to the 1980s and unwilling to let go of the past.

Secondly, he also represents the new breed of golfer that overpowers a golf course.  They are playing a course of nearly 7,500 yards yet this guy shoots 63, 65.  Golf is officially fucked.  Even if these modern players hit it off line they can still make the green as they are only hitting a 7 or 8 iron from the rough.  You are involved in the game Rocket, does that not worry you where we are going?  The art of shaping the ball seems to have gone, they are alll hitting it straight nowadays and seems to be that the possibility of a real maverick coming through and winning are gone.  We are only ever going to get a champion from a guy that can nail it 300+ yards off every tee and putt well. 

And he is a boring bastard too, not a hint of charisma.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2019, 02:07:29 AM »
How you could suggest that I would be jealous of a ripped, multi-millionaire that averages 308 yards off the tee is ridiculous.  ::)

Jealousy is the preserve of the sick. It's very simple in reality but it's not understood by most. This is because it derives from issues pertaining to the ego, self-loathing and envy being confused states of being.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2019, 02:21:49 AM »
Glad you asked this question because it got me thinking and took a while to work out the reason for my irrational deep rooted hatred of Koepka.

Think it is more because of what he represents rather than the man himself if that makes sense.  To me he represents a changing of the guard in the game in that a lot of the golfers I grew up with are no longer dominating the sport.  Possibly that qualifies as jealously, who knows?  It is probably the reality of getting older I guess.  You see it a lot on this forum with people harping back to the 1980s and unwilling to let go of the past.

That's nonsense. I can't think of ONE poster on here who "harps back to the 80's and is unwilling to let go of the past".

The fact you resent the "changing of the guard" is tragic.

Secondly, he also represents the new breed of golfer that overpowers a golf course.  They are playing a course of nearly 7,500 yards yet this guy shoots 63, 65.  Golf is officially fucked.  Even if these modern players hit it off line they can still make the green as they are only hitting a 7 or 8 iron from the rough.  You are involved in the game Rocket, does that not worry you where we are going?  The art of shaping the ball seems to have gone, they are alll hitting it straight nowadays and seems to be that the possibility of a real maverick coming through and winning are gone.  We are only ever going to get a champion from a guy that can nail it 300+ yards off every tee and putt well. 

And he is a boring bastard too, not a hint of charisma.

This week is an exception because Bethpage is just a sloggerfest but the rough is so brutal that you still have to find the short stuff. No, golf is in a great place, particularly with all the young Scots and English coming through.

Molinari isn't a slogger but he's a major winner. Spieth isn't in the same league as DJ, Bubba, McIlroy and Brooks for distance but he's won majors.

You have issues with one man and it's colouring and poisoning your view. Tiger won the Masters and it was wonderful. He can't get within 40 yards of the biggest hitters.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:26:27 AM by rocket_scientist »

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »
Woods winning the Masters was indeed wonderful. I think it would have been good for the game had he been able to overhaul Nicklaus' major record but sadly I believe his injuries have cost him any chance of doing so.

As has been rightly said, he can't get anywhere near the length of today's big hitters who are generally straight off the tee anyway but even punitive rough seen at the USPGA and US Open in particular means that even if they do go offline into it they are still only hitting 9 irons into holes 450 yards long. In the 70s, with the equipment they had, even the longest hitters would be hitting 5 or 6 irons in from the fairway.

Woods IMO only now has the Masters where length really isn't a great advantage or the Open where strategy and shotmaking are at a premium to go for to get Nicklaus' record. I think he has one more major in him but will come up short

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 45
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
There was a comment on the American TV coverage summed it up. Koepka hit it into the rough, even with a pretty short distance to go the commentators were saying for most players it would be a lay up but "because he's so strong" he could easily hit the green.
So even if you don't hit it straight, if your as strong as an ox you'll be ok!
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218