Author Topic: Shinnie  (Read 20478 times)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
Re: Shinnie
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
So, we have struggled for goals this season and you would punt our main goal scorer to get the money for a left back?

Cosgrove doesn't score individual goal. He requires decent service. Lowe provides decent service. Cosgrove had a stellar 4 months. But utterly mince before and after. If we get a decent offer, in view of what we paid for him of course we absolutely cash in

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
Cosgrove doesn't score individual goal. He requires decent service. Lowe provides decent service. Cosgrove had a stellar 4 months. But utterly mince before and after. If we get a decent offer, in view of what we paid for him of course we absolutely cash in

I second the punting of Cosgrove if someone gives us half decent money for us. Don't see much difference between him and Stockley and would like to think we could find another player as good or better without breaking the bank. I think you're being nice saying he had 4 good months, was it that much??

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »
I second the punting of Cosgrove if someone gives us half decent money for us. Don't see much difference between him and Stockley and would like to think we could find another player as good or better without breaking the bank. I think you're being nice saying he had 4 good months, was it that much??

Not suggesting Cosgrove is the new Van Basten but the difference between him and Stockley is about 16 goals a season.

It's a really simplistic view to think we can just pick up 20 goal a season strikers ten a penny, I doubt whether we have had more than half a dozen in the last 40 years.

If we can get another couple of good goal scoring seasons from him Cosgrove will make us a lot of money.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
Not suggesting Cosgrove is the new Van Basten but the difference between him and Stockley is about 16 goals a season.

It's a really simplistic view to think we can just pick up 20 goal a season strikers ten a penny, I doubt whether we have had more than half a dozen in the last 40 years.

If we can get another couple of good goal scoring seasons from him Cosgrove will make us a lot of money.

Cosgrove’s 7 penalties out of that total and the gaps not that big. Big punt in hoping that we get two good seasons from Cosgrove when we only really got him scoring between December and February this season. I don’t think we will get an offer for Cosgrove this summer as he is yet to show he can score consistently and his failure in lower reaches of English pyramid is still to recent.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
I dont get why everyone is soo keen to get rid of cosgrove. Ok, 7of his goals were penaltys but even still thats 13 goals this season. Think about how many forwards have we had over the last few seasons who have struggled to get more then 5. I dont know why everyone here seems to think its so easy to pick up someone who can score goals.

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
  • Rating: 27
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »

We've had 13 different players score 20+ goals since 1978/79.
Cosgrove (1), Rooney (4), McGinn (1), B Dodds (1), Shearer (2), Paatelainen (1), McDougall (2), Black (1), Stark (1), McGhee (2), Strachan (2), Archibald (1), and Harper (1).

That patch between 2012/2013 and 1996/1997...  :hammer:

"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win"
Bill Shankly

Offline Ramperbamper

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 2
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
I dont get why everyone is soo keen to get rid of cosgrove. Ok, 7of his goals were penaltys but even still thats 13 goals this season. Think about how many forwards have we had over the last few seasons who have struggled to get more then 5. I dont know why everyone here seems to think its so easy to pick up someone who can score goals.

I maintain that if Sam Cosgrove was a 22 year old from BoD who'd broken through our youth, people would give him a lot more leeway than he's getting now.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
Clearly out the picture at derby despite their shit start to the season? Loan move in January? I do think we’d benefit from his leadership/passion/energy alone!

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2019, 10:15:19 PM »
Clearly out the picture at derby despite their shit start to the season? Loan move in January? I do think we’d benefit from his leadership/passion/energy alone!

Not sure if you saw what happpened with Derby players the other night but he might be getting a chance soon. Team were out on a club function at a restaurant, most players went home at 8pm but a few went on to a pub. Around midnight, and totally pissed up...a couple decided to drive home, one with the club captain in the back seat. A mile down the road they both crashed?? (no explanation why but pics show a Range Rover concertina'd into a tree). Club captain knocked out and knee smashed to smithereens...out for the season. Both drivers arrested and suspended by the club pending an internal investigation.

If he can't get a game after that then his time there must be up. At the start of the season I thought our midfield had improved to the point that Shinnie wouldnt have gotten a game had he stayed. Now I pray we get him back on loan in January.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 16
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »
I'd drive him back up the road tomorrow, we miss his drive and determination in midfield, he was an excellent Captain also.

Maybe not the best player Derby have, but I bet if given a chance he wouldn't let them down, he has a tenacious streak to him which I think would work well in that league.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
I'd drive him back up the road tomorrow, we miss his drive and determination in midfield, he was an excellent Captain also.

Maybe not the best player Derby have, but I bet if given a chance he wouldn't let them down, he has a tenacious streak to him which I think would work well in that league.

I'd second that right now. I see Shinnie didn't make the squad again tonight. On the other side, I think Max Lowe is an ever present or close to now in their line up.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -192
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2019, 05:35:10 AM »
I find it quite tragic that AFC fans covet a footballer who is clearly not good enough for an average English second division team. Certainly not as a midfielder. He is best utilised as Left Back and in the competition for places, Max Lowe is their preferred option.

The tragedy is twofold as it indicates the gulf in class between Scotland and England on one hand and on the other it suggests that the squad at AFC right now is less than ideal, some would say shit.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2019, 06:38:40 AM »
I find it quite tragic that AFC fans covet a footballer who is clearly not good enough for an average English second division team. Certainly not as a midfielder. He is best utilised as Left Back and in the competition for places, Max Lowe is their preferred option.

The tragedy is twofold as it indicates the gulf in class between Scotland and England on one hand and on the other it suggests that the squad at AFC right now is less than ideal, some would say shit.

Does it really matter who he is or is not playing for? He would make us better and is most likely available is the next window.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 16
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »

Certainly a truth to what you wrote, but the fact is we miss his drive and determination on the pitch, nobody to lead by example on it, he may not be the best player in the middle of the park and I believe he is a far better left back, but he has the heart of a lion.

Now Derby are no great team, but it is quite sad he hasn't been given a chance, I think again his drive and determination would improve them as a team in that league, but clearly doesn't feature in the managers plans, how long their manager lasts is another matter.

Sadly, I don't think he will come back to us.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -192
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
Does it really matter who he is or is not playing for? He would make us better and is most likely available is the next window.

By asking the question whether it matters where he is and whether he's playing right now or not, you miss the point.

He would undoubtedly improve AFC if he were to return. Therein lies the tragedy, for the two specific reasons I gave.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Unless Derby punt Cocu sharpish I'm now convinced already there is no way back for him at Derby. They aren't doing particularly well though so Cocu getting punted isn't an unrealistic proposition. When he can't even make the bench (and taking into account the shenanigans of the 3 Derby players last week, one of whom is out for the season) it says a lot what the current management think of him.

Derby I'm sure would prefer him to go somewhere that the receiving club can make as close a contribution to his Derby earnings as possible. That's sevco up here......but given his lack of action, any loaning club has the nap hand over Derby. Sevco have a surfeit of midfielders and I think they'd be mainly interested in him as a left back (if at all). Given that we were willing to make him the highest paid player in the club's history, we could actually end up getting him back on loan in January for a couple of grand cheaper than we were going to pay him on a new contract....albeit without having his services for 6 months. We certainly need him as things have not panned out as most of us thought they would in the heady optimistic days of pre-season

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
By asking the question whether it matters where he is and whether he's playing right now or not, you miss the point.

He would undoubtedly improve AFC if he were to return. Therein lies the tragedy, for the two specific reasons I gave.

I got your point, I’m just got past that issue a long time ago. It’s been this way for years, surprised you brought it up.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2019, 04:50:08 PM »
Don’t see Shinnie going to Rangers, that ship sailed, they are doing quite well and have a huge squad. They don’t need him. Don’t see him going to the Edinburgh clubs either, think if he comes north it’s back to us.

Online manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »
I really thought we'd be a better footballing team minus shinnie. Mainly because he is best at left back. But christ, we have a pea hearted team. Less consi and Lewis, they are spineless.

It's a shame things haven't worked out for him at Derby. We knew his limitations and I have to say I was surprised he even got the call from them, but to not be given a shot. Just unfair.

We seriously miss his drive and passion.

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -985
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Started today and put in an MOM performance.