Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Peter Pawlett

Well apparently he thinks he gets undue criticism just because he's a local loon. Which is utter nonsense. He got criticism because there was a spell where his form (and more alarmingly his effort levels) had taken a nose-dive. But recently he's proven to be an asset (again) so I hope he's not playing the victim card to move down south. No evidence to back this up (all just hearsay) so I will happily give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially if he signs. (Which I doubt he will).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently he thinks he gets undue criticism just because he's a local loon. Which is utter nonsense. He got criticism because there was a spell where his form (and more alarmingly his effort levels) had taken a nose-dive. But recently he's proven to be an asset (again) so I hope he's not playing the victim card to move down south. No evidence to back this up (all just hearsay) so I will happily give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially if he signs. (Which I doubt he will).

Interesting. I think there's something in it (or at least I understand why he feels that way). Nothing to do with being a local loon like, more just player familiarity. Considine got abuse for a while too. New players get a good while to prove themselves, which isn't afforded to those that have been there for a while. You set high standards, and everyone expects you to maintain them. There are very few players who go through their careers performing consistently to their best. Hayes had a pish spell when he first arrived, McLean, McGinn, Rooney hasn't had a great season, Logan went through a couple of months and even Shinnie has struggled a few times this season. The familiarity problem occurs when folk dredge up the past, which I suspect happens quite a lot for Jack. He had a poor season last season, but he started this season really well before getting injured and taking a few weeks to regain form with varying partners alongside him - he wasn't given much slack in that period from the fans (I suspect a glance on here would get the general opinion of his performances), who clearly had last season's Jack at the forefront of their minds. It just allows a bit of bias, or perhaps we're just better informed, for long-standing players. In my opinion, Jack has had many more good games for the dons than bad and has had a very good season overall.

An example to back up the above would be O'Connor. Lauded as an excellent defender when he came in, and still highly regarded. Compare to Considine who still seems to be judged (not on here) by some of his early-career mistakes in games (mainly against the Tims). Yet Considine is - in my opinion - a much better all round footballer than O'Connor. O'Connor was afforded, by the fans, an abject cup final performance where he was all over the shop yet was still held in higher regard than Considine at that time (not since it has to be said, because he hasn't featured). 

It just seems that we're not particularly forgiving at times when players are either learning or on a poor run of form. I wouldn't say that familiarity breeds contempt, but it's something along those lines. McGinn is still being classed as lazy despite an excellent season so far. Reynolds had an excellent spell before his hernia but is classed as a liability, despite there being an obvious return to previous form. McLean was still getting criticised for weeks after his last consecutive poor performance. We (I include me, obviously) seem to be far quicker to accept a player is losing form, than we are to accept a return to form.

Of course, all of this could be simply explained to the loon (because he is just a young loon still). The bottom line is that his form had dropped, and we - the fans - sat through it and watched him lose it. If he goes to another club and plays well before having a poor spell, he'll quickly see that he won't be getting abuse for being a local loon. It's just what paying fans do. Or maybe he just wants a change and needs something to convince himself why he's leaving; that's fine too.

Good luck to Pawlett. Decent servant of AFC, and on his day, more than capable of playing at Championship level, let alone League One.

Regarding McGinn & Jack, I am absolutely certain that both will be offski at the end of the season. I genuinely belive they'd have committed by now. Maybe keeping a lid on things as we currently have extremely important fixtures coming up, Semi Final and trying to secure 2nd.

Imagine if we were told that McGinn, Jack & Pawlett were all away, just now. Would undoubtedly cause some angst amongst us fans and possibly the dressing room.

On a side note, I see nobody is clamouring for Ash Taylor to sign a new contract? Don't see his name popping up on here. How would you feel if he moved on? 

Bye Peter, you were good but maybe nae as good as we thought, and then you thought, you were.  Cheers onywye.

Regarding McGinn & Jack, I am absolutely certain that both will be offski at the end of the season. I genuinely belive they'd have committed by now. Maybe keeping a lid on things as we currently have extremely important fixtures coming up, Semi Final and trying to secure 2nd.

Looking at when these players tend to sign extensions, i see no cause for alarm just yet.  Jack signed his in June 2013 and May 2015,  and McGinn signed in May 2013 and Dec 2014.

In other words, if its not done in December, it won't be addressed again until at least May.  That doesn't however mean that they are necessarily off, just that it probably won't be focused on until then.

I see your fine and raise you an absolutely delighted. He's an accident waiting to happen.

An accident that's already happened, far too many times.  Has to go.

An example to back up the above would be O'Connor. Lauded as an excellent defender when he came in, and still highly regarded. Compare to Considine who still seems to be judged (not on here) by some of his early-career mistakes in games (mainly against the Tims). Yet Considine is - in my opinion - a much better all round footballer than O'Connor. O'Connor was afforded, by the fans, an abject cup final performance where he was all over the shop yet was still held in higher regard than Considine at that time (not since it has to be said, because he hasn't featured). 

I agree that Considine is still harshly criticised by some but I think your point about O'Connor is a wee bit off the mark.  He had a mare in the final, no doubt, but he had played the previous two matches as the right sided centre back and played very well beside Considine who also played very well and both were clearly comfortable in that set up. 

For his manager to then switch his partner AND switch O'Connor's specific position to play against the best team in the country in (potentially) the biggest game of the season is not fantastic management and I think O'Connor had enough credit in the bank with the fans at that point for them to not turn on him.  The sad thing is though that the manager clearly held that performance against O'Connor as he has hardly featured since.

O'Connor and Considine are our best centre backs and are our best pairing too. You seem to be happy with Reynolds form, but for me he's a shadow of the player he once was, which is a huge shame because he was very good for our level. Him and Taylor next to each other is like a scary, Aberdeen based episode of Keystone Cops.

Excellent post bb. Spot on. In everything.

Only comment I would make is that other than the penalty conceded, I think it's harsh to say he had a mare the whole game although I couldn't blame him if he did given the absurd reintroduction of Taylor after more than one month out.

McInnes cost us the final. Also, Shinnie had been LB in the two games immediately preceding, two good away wins. McInnes obviously blames AOC but the truth is, the game was well and truly sunk by the time AOC conceded the penalty in the most one-sided and sickening final I've had the displeasure to witness.

The treatment of AOC since the final one of the worst scapegoating I've ever seen and yet another reason I think McInnes is a total dick. Incidentally, all the staff at Aberdeen Sports Village think DM is a total penis and they all love Jonny Hayes. Unlike McInnes, he introduces himself at the desk and asks for permission to get through. McInnes is so fucking important in this city he grunts at them and expects everything.

Agree with everything you say BB.

Reynolds has been a liability for 2 years, just isn't physically big enough to be an effective central defender in todays game. To an extent this was mitigated by the pace he used to possess which allowed him to keep up with many strikers in a straight chase but this has gone sadly. Should be told he is free to find a new club and thanked for his service.

Taylor is a strange one. Brainfarts at least once a game and defensively underwhelming in the air. But in the oppo box is a genuine threat from set pieces. I still think there is a player in there somewhere but needs to be told to defend and cut out the Beckenbauer shit. However I think with a new baby not long born he will be looking to get a club closer to him and his wife's families. Probably a Bury or a Rochdale or similiar. I wouldnt be too unhappy if he got 2 more years offered as a reasonable cover for O'Conner and Consi but as I say, I dont think its going to be an issue

I only asked about Taylor as I do feel his time may be up. I think we all saw how defensively sound we were when Shinnie went to Left Back, O'Connor & Considine were at Centre Back and obviously the ever reliable Logan was at Right Back.

That was a settled back four, some pace, some relatively decent muscle and more importantly, calmness. I'd be none to fussed at all if Reynolds remained as cover.

Taylor is indeed a strange one though. I do believe there is a player in him, but he has utter brainfarts, which have proved to be all too frequent, not as much costly, Hamilton defeat there aside, which we cannot afford.

I can only comment on this guy due to the fact that the last 2 games we've played them at SuperSeal, the boy Devlin looks solid. Surely we could attract someone like that to not only give ample cover, but good competition to the remaining defenders.

Knowing our luck though, we'll lose McGinn, Jack and obviously Pawlett, and Taylor will sign a new contract, which DM will say " Softens the blow of others leaving "  :laughing: :laughing:

An accident that's already happened, far too many times.  Has to go.

I agree that Considine is still harshly criticised by some but I think your point about O'Connor is a wee bit off the mark.  He had a mare in the final, no doubt, but he had played the previous two matches as the right sided centre back and played very well beside Considine who also played very well and both were clearly comfortable in that set up. 

For his manager to then switch his partner AND switch O'Connor's specific position to play against the best team in the country in (potentially) the biggest game of the season is not fantastic management and I think O'Connor had enough credit in the bank with the fans at that point for them to not turn on him.  The sad thing is though that the manager clearly held that performance against O'Connor as he has hardly featured since.

O'Connor and Considine are our best centre backs and are our best pairing too. You seem to be happy with Reynolds form, but for me he's a shadow of the player he once was, which is a huge shame because he was very good for our level. Him and Taylor next to each other is like a scary, Aberdeen based episode of Keystone Cops.

I wasn't having a go at O'Connor, I was simply pointing out that he's given the benefit of any doubt because he's new, and held in higher regard than Considine, which was unfair (on Considine). I think he should be in the team ahead of Taylor, but I think it's close too. Rocket, his performance in the final was terrible, he was at fault for three of the goals and every time he emerged from the defence on his left foot he simply couldn't cope (the same against der hun in the Pittodrie match when he played there). He was just very poor at that side of the defence, because he is uncomfortable on his left. It was very much the manager's fault for playing him there, I don't think that is in question.

As for Reynolds, he's always been shite with the ball at his feet but good at reading the game, decent in the challenge and quick to get across and cover. I thought we have seen all those attributes in his performances since christmas. I don't think we have the partnership anymore (Reynolds and Anderson), but I'd say Reynolds of late has been back to close to his best. However, that's arguable of course, but my point was that folk are still judging him on his early season and last season's performances which he's moved on from considerably. His recent performances are night and day from last seasons and I think we should begin to accept that perhaps he just lost form as many players do.

Taylor is that lad in your Sunday league team. A'bdy likes him, he's a laugh, his bird is fit, he seems soft as shite but he likes the gym and you're  just nae sure if you pushed it too far, given his gymbunniness he might embarrass you. Every so often he'll see half an opening and charge through (with his primary school control) opposition fannies will back off "coz he's a big lad" then he'll have a dig and it'll go over the bar clearing the DD, or go out for a throw.

Just remeber once every three* years he'll hit the target. That is not worth a new contract at AFC.

*maybe