Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs Qarabag

Had to put the commentary on mute, they are talking this mob up to be a reincarnation of Ajax '95 and plucky wee Aberdeen are lucky to just be sharing a pitch with them.

We're far too one dimensional going forward and all this tippy tappy stuff along our defensive line is a waste of time in this match. Get the ball up the pitch and push up to win the 2nd ball and see what breaks our way.

This game shows our lack of squad depth for sure. The two signings are forwards, with Watkins playing wide at times too. We need attacking options in central midfield, someone who can change and dictate a game.....even the Kenny McLean type if not a Ryan Christie. We are so predicable and I don't see that changing much.

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

75 minutes to make the 2nd sub, while 3-0 down. Obviously no Plan B tonight. Or Plan A from the looks of it.

Let's not nit pick , and I easily could Slim, but this team are miles ahead of us at present.

We haveca long long way to go before we can get to the next level

6 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Let's not nit pick , and I easily could Slim, but this team are miles ahead of us at present.

We haveca long long way to go before we can get to the next level

Only positive is that we are still early days under new management. So hopefully if the right foundation is put in place to give us a chance. If we can get more young talents like Ramsay into the team I feel this is the way to go, although the odd astute signing is welcome its always difficult for a club with our budget to attract established players. That was the downfall of McInnes in the end.

They’re a good team but I’m not having this narrative that came about around the time their 2nd goal went in that they’re the footballing equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

They’re about the level of the Rijeka team we beat or the Maribor team we narrowly lost to.

The difference is that we didn’t seem to have any effective plan to give them any trouble in defence or how to contain their attacking threat. 

We looked completely unprepared tonight.

• Like 1

We chucked it defensively. It's easy to knock the ball about and look like a good team when you're 3-0 up on aggregate after 20 minutes. We didn't test them over the two legs to see if they are a good team or not. What they are good at is defending though. Eight games played and they've conceded just three goals - all penalties. For us I think we've played 10 and conceded 14, and have just one clean sheet - that's not good enough, especially since I don't think we've come up against a right good side yet.

First half we did actually play some decent stuff at times, were getting the ball in the box, but they just cut through us at the other end all too easily. 

Second half we've tightened up a little but at the expense of offering very little going forward.

McCrorie I think is actually growing into his role but Declan Gallagher is no improvement on Ash Taylor - a lucky boy to be in the Scotland squad. A new centre half is an absolute must.

At least Hedges, Watkins and this Samuels fella have all to go into that team to give us a few new attacking options. 

Edited by Panda

Last Goal the winner right??  Think that was Lewis Ferguson's 7th European goal for us and probably his last in all honesty.  Thank God I didn't make the effort to come up.  Mind given all the Covid-19 stadium protocol would only have done my brain damaged head some more distress anyway.  Forget tactical nous, individual ability even. We just don't seem to have a great self belief when it is really required.

Looking at the Europa League Last 32 it does look VERY STRONG AND COULD BE QUITE TASTY!!

Europa Conference League Last 32 has a side from GIBRALTAR IN THERE TOO!!  Lincoln Red Imps dropped down through all three continental competition though.      

Just back, that was pish. Very reminiscent of the last Rijeka game, with it being over before a ball was kicked. Ramsay the only positive again tonight. Ojo and Ramirez worked hard. Jet improved us, Jenks not good enough. McRorie had a poor game, really struggled under pressure on his wrong foot, felt a bit sorry for him. Not sure about Gallagher. 

As many have mentioned, we lack that link between midfield and forward, with Jet the only real option there. I'm not convinced that Watkins really offers that either, and don't know how he'll do alongside Ramirez. I still don't know what our best eleven is.

I'm interested to see where we go from here. There's a gap between us and the group stages and it's going to take money to get us there. We've spent seven years under McInnes relying on the luck of the draw to get us there and it doesn't work. In many ways it's good to know that it doesn't work under Glass either. He's not some genius who's going to get us miles further through small tactical wins. Hopefully we can be a bit more realistic about that.

Huge opportunity missed tonight, very frustrating. I turned off after the third goal so didn't witness our token penalty. From what I saw, we were shite. A bit of urgency in the second but no real quality and JET looked completely isolated who was trying to do some things but got crowded out.  I think it was Slim said, I don't know what our game plan was, nor the style of play we're trying to achieve. Just doesn't seem to be any real cohesion. I said I think we're going to be erratic this season, and tonight was very much the negative side of that.

1 hour ago, scotfree said:

My words as well when I got up and saw the score. ?

Yeah scotfree.

I can give McCormack and Glass a bit of time but after all these pre season promises of attractive football etc etc.

We get Watkins back who wasn't that great the first time round and a guy who has scored 2 goals.

I like jet and ramirez but surely ramirez should've scored in the last few games if he was going to set the heather alight.

We are already out of 2 cups. Europe was always going to be hard I admit.

Least we are doing well in the league but by fuck we really need to start showing better results and improvement.

Typical of AFC to lose key players going into a big match.

Think I'm just hungover and have post alcoholic pissedoffedness.

Anybody agree but doesn't our away record in Europe need to improve dramatically for us to see any great benefit??  If you take it as far back as mid nineteen nineties when I got my first taste of European action.  Some really awful scorelines.  0-0 Skonto Riga, 3-3 Barry Town, 0-0 Nistru Otaci, 3-0 Sigma Olomouc, 1-0 Sporting Circle Fola Esch, 2-0 Apollon Limassol, 1-1 Chikhura Sachkhere to name just a few.  I would argue 2-1 Kairat Almaty, NK Maribor 1-0 were also huge disappointments.