Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ross McCrorie

In general terms McRorie could be a good signing but there isn't a single one of the many positions he's played in his career that we need to fill at the moment. Seems like a bit of a Football Manager signing: oh he's decent, will sign him in case he turns out really good and so that no-one else can have him.

Unless one or two are on their way out of course.

I think he's a great player. I'm surprised the huns haven't made more out of him. I'm pretty uncomfortable loaning from the huns (although Andrea Velicka was a fantastic bit of business) but that's slightly alleviated by the agreed fee.

Or.... perhaps if we injure him in training and send him back and ask for another player, continuing the process until all their players are either injured or dead. Then Hibs might manage to finish second.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I think he's a great player. I'm surprised the huns haven't made more out of him. I'm pretty uncomfortable loaning from the huns (although Andrea Velicka was a fantastic bit of business) but that's slightly alleviated by the agreed fee.

Or.... perhaps if we injure him in training and send him back and ask for another player, continuing the process until all their players are either injured or dead. Then Hibs might manage to finish second.

Edit: Of course, we don't really need him, but then that's the way we work it seems and until there is pressure at board level, it's difficult to see it ending. I always thought his best position was in front of the defence, with a particular focus on tackling (as opposed to say Ojo or McGeouch who are ball carrying types). That would be particularly useful in games against the hun or tim and it could allow us to play with a more attacking midfield overall by playing perhaps McGinn centrally and have Ferguson play higher. However, unless we offload at least one other midfielder, we're ridiculously heavy in that area. Strikes me as a "he's available, we better make sure nobody else gets him", McGeouch type signing.

1 minute ago, DantheDon said:

Was just away to comment asking if he was an offensive cm. We could probably play a defensive midfield 11 if we wanted now. I really don't get this signing. 

He'd probably be classed as a more traditional defensive midfielder, so maybe a bit like when Ball or Hobban played there (but better). The sort of guy you'd see in a 4-1-4-1, rather than a 4-2-3-1 if you like.

Unless he can play right back well of course, as I still think Hernandez is high risk and could turn out to be shite.

Either way, it's nae a striker, which is really our requirement right now.

26 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He'd probably be classed as a more traditional defensive midfielder, so maybe a bit like when Ball or Hobban played there (but better). The sort of guy you'd see in a 4-1-4-1, rather than a 4-2-3-1 if you like.

Unless he can play right back well of course, as I still think Hernandez is high risk and could turn out to be shite.

Either way, it's nae a striker, which is really our requirement right now.

Played right back whilst on loan at Portsmouth apparently.

Could be signed to play central defence and Big Gash could be going up top ? 

The loon needs to hit the ground running as anyperformance in the manner of our current midfield will result in him getting major abuse.

I've heard of the guy, but not a signing that I know much about, but seems a lazy signing and doesn't fill me with confidence, but like I said in a previous post we keep signing midfielders one will prove to be capable.

Fair play to the loon though as he is coming here knowing he really has to prove his worth from the off and no leeway will be given by the fans given his association with the Hun.

Do we know if he can play against the Hun in this deal?

The panel on Sportscene were saying that the problem with Sevco v. Livi was that Ryhun and Kamara were sitting too deep. The Scotland manager wifie was actually impressive in her analysis. It's not just a problem at AFC, there seems to be a national shortage of footballers who can create and attack from the middle and a glut of defensive holding midfielders. 

He's already scored his first goal at Pittodrie - he scored Rangers' equaliser in a 1-1 draw two years ago.

Other than that I have to be honest I know little about the guy. Rangers fans in the main seem disappointed he's gone though, and Hibs aren't happy they didn't get him, which all suggests he's a decent player. Did Gerrard not once tour him as a future Rangers captain? 

It's also not a repeat of the Ryan Christie loan in that we're getting the guy permanently afterwards.

Be interesting to see where he plays. He played CB under Graeme Murty I think, Gerrard played him DM, and when he was on loan at Portsmouth he was used as a RB.

Has a cracking chant to the tune of Oasis' 'Morning Glory' which of course we'll all refuse to sing because it's not stand free.

10 minutes ago, Panda said:

He's already scored his first goal at Pittodrie - he scored Rangers' equaliser in a 1-1 draw two years ago.

Other than that I have to be honest I know little about the guy. Rangers fans in the main seem disappointed he's gone though, and Hibs aren't happy they didn't get him, which all suggests he's a decent player. Did Gerrard not once tour him as a future Rangers captain? 

It's also not a repeat of the Ryan Christie loan in that we're getting the guy permanently afterwards.

Be interesting to see where he plays. He played CB under Graeme Murty I think, Gerrard played him DM, and when he was on loan at Portsmouth he was used as a RB.

Has a cracking chant to the tune of Oasis' 'Morning Glory' which of course we'll all refuse to sing because it's not stand free.

Was it not Pedro Caixinha that talked him up. 

As I said elsewhere we are well covered at the positions this lad can play so it seems an odd signing given we don’t have a left back or creative midfielder which surely should have been priority. Nothing against the player himself and seen him play well beside Ferguson for Scotland at U21 level so happy enough bringing him in. 

Good stuff, welcome aboard etc. According to that article, we're still on the look out for a striker, so fair enough. As Panda says, he scored against us previously, which is why McInnes is signing him, as that's how he decides all his transfers (one good game against us is all it takes to become a dandy).

I think he'll be a very good addition. Although if anyone can pick our midfield for the next game, they'll get a virtual pint. I reckon it'll be McRorie sitting behind Ferguson and Campbell. The annoying thing is that we really only need that type of sitting midfielder against the scum, and he won't be able to play in 50% of those this season,

I'd like to see McGeouch moved on in the meantime, I think there's a strong chance that Campbell's game time will be limited again by a surplus of "talent" in the midfield, for no apparent reason.