Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - well

What a disgusting performance. Fucking awful. Who the fuck stands there watching that shite for over 20 minutes (second half) without making a sub? What the fuck is he playing at? Curtis fucking Main should never appear on a football pitch. Turgid, turgid stuff. Motherwell did what they needed to. Matched up to our pathetic 3 man midfield. McGeouch, Ojo and Ferguson all absolutely pap. Great at running three metres from our centre half pairing to pick up the ball before moving it ten yards to the one who didn't come back before lumping it speculatively forward. Fucking terrible. Sackably bad. Clueless stuff.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are an uninspiring predictable long ball team. No plan B. And to throw on Anderson and Main for Logan and Taylor, that's just desperate. That was a really bad sign pointing the finger at a clueless coach.

We cannot play McGeouch and Ojo together. Too similar but McGeouch was more involved tonight and Ojo barely touched the ball. We have to play McGeouch and Ferguson behind a Maddison/Christie type. We create absolutely nothing without that #10 giving a central attacking threat. That player sucks in defenders to create space wide for our wingers. We get little wide because the opponents defenders are not stretched.

the only time I've seen Gallagher effective was when he was central behind Sam. Why play him  wide when you have McLennan and Hedges? I don't see how Gallagher is the preffered wide option here.

We are going backwards.

Sam scores goals but I still think he offers so little. Since we went with him as our main forward we've committed to long ball and it's just brutal to watch.

Just end the season now. Get rid, build for next year.

Tactics are woeful. Mcgeouch controlled the game. Unfortunately that entails collecting it in midfield and passing it back to our centre halves or Joe to punt. Fergie is so overrated it's unreal. There were spells in that game where we had 3 CM and nobody to pass to in the middle .

I just don't understand why the media aren't asking questions.

Brutal stuff. We are just a long ball team. Other than McGinn we have zero creation. As someone said Ojo, McGeouch and Ferguson are far to similar. We need another creative option in there.

Getting no enjoyment out of watching Dons this season and sadly cannot see it changing.

That was horrendous. Centre backs and goalkeeper pinging long hopeful balls to....nobody. Cosgrove (shite again for the 2nd game in a row) gets on the end of a couple - but flicks them on to....nobody. Squeezing 3 midfielders into the same position. Throw ins in their half getting thrown back into our own half then a pass back to lewis. Unable to properly trouble an opposition goalkeeper again, nothing worthwhile on target. Unable to defend a set piece despite having 4 huge players in our team. And Ash Taylor is absolutely wank, THE worst player we’ve had at Aberdeen since.....well since Ash Taylor was last here. Considine gets 7 out of 10 for putting in a decent shift, the rest of them range between 1 and 4. Football was shit. Atmosphere was shit. Traffic was shit.

Apart from that it was a good night.

Still raging about that shite. I don’t get it, how we can be as bad as we were against Dumbarton and no improvement tonight. All aimless and uninspiring long ball. WTF do we do in practice? Seriously, many ask that, you honestly cannot tell. Interesting to note we’ve gone away from the two man corners too, just a long ball in, much like free kicks too. So uninspiring and unimaginative. Will the management/coaching staff take a good hard look at themselves? Don’t see how we can justify our decline, we pay good wages.

Sam scores goals but I still think he offers so little. Since we went with him as our main forward we've committed to long ball and it's just brutal to watch.

This is what I think. Yes he scores the goals, but overall his game is terrible and if anyone offers us millions for him bite their hands off. Possibly not so much the lads fault, but more the gormless cunt we have as a manager who has failed to address our failings for a couple of seasons now and still persists in thinking he is right.

We are just a predictable watch and I know we usually win more than we lose overall, we are still a terrible footballing side and very difficult to motivate yourself to drag your arse along to watch us.

Our manager will celebrate 7 years at the helm in a matter of weeks and our new Chairman who seems to value entertainment at games needs to make a decision soon abour the direction the team is going in as we are going nowhere fast and I don't think our current manager can stop the rot.

Forum dynamics; interesting how there are certain posters conspicuous by their absence on this aftermath. Maybe they're like me and didn't attend or watch it so are unqualified to comment directly on the match?

But when the record shows that they always attack the attackers (of the manager, of the club), have much to say in their consistent support of AFC and NEVER offer any criticism - even their "negative" comments and observations are couched duplicitously and unconvincingly, perhaps as an attempt to try to "blend in" - then it's possible that they're not genuinely stupid happy clappers but something more sinister.

It sounds like many genuine fans are starting to see that we can't defend the indefensible. That no action has ever been taken to address it was an indictment of the rat that was Milne. That certain posters don't even try to defend the club immediately after yet more evidence that's it's not working - and hasn't for decades - preferring to wait until the dust settles and then gently ease back in with their platitudes, isn't genuinely truthful commentary.

Sam's game is far more than flick on's and hold up play. He's got decent feet, decent acceleration, speed and obviously is strong (whithout giving away a lot of fouls). Cealry he know's where the goal is too.

The issue lies not with him but with the;

Ojo/Ferguson/McGeouch(now) to Considine/McKenna/Taylor, HOOF!

or

Considine/McKenna/Taylor to Lewis, HOOF!

Occasionally we really mix it up with;

Ojo/Ferguson/McGeouch(now) to Considine/McKenna/Taylor to Lewis, HOOF!!!

Cosgrove, when it doesn't go wide, has 3 options;

a 50 - 60 yeard pass back into his own half to the nearest midfielder

take it in, turn and take-on the 2 or 3 players marking him as there is no other Aberdeen players within 30 yards to take them away from him

or play it to a wide player who has similar numbers picking them up.

When the hoof balls do go wide more often than not the wide players are not running onto the ball they're firstly trying to keep it in. When they do get a cross in it's easily dealt with as there are no midfielders arriving late. It's easy for any defensive unit to pick up the 2 or 3 attacking players in dangerous positions.

It's like they've been training on a tattie field, not a super-duper state of the art bowloing green-esque training pitch...

Still at least Jon Gallagher ran fast. 

Couldn't be arsed posting last night due to the total apathy that is returning rapidly, a real throwback to the Miller (A), Ebbe, Paterson et al years. Just a dreadful performance where not one player in the team gets pass marks from me.

Plain to see the Ojo/McGeouch/Ferguson do not work as a combination. I suspected McGeouch was signed on the basis that at any given time at least one of the 3 would be out injured or suspended. All far too similar to be shoehorned together into the same starting line up UNLESS Ferguson is played in an advanced position trying to support Cosgrove.

Gallagher getting picked on such a regular basis is a farce. Just doesn't possess a football brain and very little in the ways of ball control and passing skills. Something stinks here and Cormack is at least as culpable as McInnes.

As for Motherwell.....they were every bit as bad as us but once again a Logan brainfart costs us dearly, although Lewis cannot escape criticism getting beaten at his near post. Indeed, he really should have dealt with the initial ball itself, it wasn't difficult for him to at least get a decent punch on it. Quite a common failing for him though.

Results elsewhere couldn't really have turned out much worse for us. Hibs getting a very late winner was a sickener and they'll certainly fancy their chances of overhauling us if we continue in the same turgid vein that our past 2 games has brought.

McInnes oot....

Couldn't be arsed posting last night due to the total apathy that is returning rapidly, a real throwback to the Miller (A), Ebbe, Paterson et al years. Just a dreadful performance where not one player in the team gets pass marks from me.

It's Calderwood for me. Whatever you think about McInnes, he's far more intelligent than Calderwood and should possess the skills to analyse himself and his own decisions. It appears that he doesn't understand his own team and it's attributes and strengths (for the reasons you state). 

Plain to see the Ojo/McGeouch/Ferguson do not work as a combination. I suspected McGeouch was signed on the basis that at any given time at least one of the 3 would be out injured or suspended. All far too similar to be shoehorned together into the same starting line up UNLESS Ferguson is played in an advanced position trying to support Cosgrove.

Ferguson did start in an advanced position. The problem is that he always wants to come deep for the ball. Much like McLean did when he was here, he is far more comfortable picking up the ball facing forward. He doesn't drop the shoulder and turn and run like a proper forward-thinking central mid, his first touch is always back the way, before a slow turn and give it to the now-marked wide player. The steady, non-committal play that keeps getting rewarded with a starting place for too many of our players. Ferguson is not an advanced midfielder. The only caveat to that is that when we're playing a better team and we have significantly less of the ball, he can play there as he's less likely to give away much-needed possession trying something adventurous (and he does occasionally get on the end of stuff or put in a decent shot).

Gallagher getting picked on such a regular basis is a farce. Just doesn't possess a football brain and very little in the ways of ball control and passing skills. Something stinks here and Cormack is at least as culpable as McInnes.

I have no problem with Gallagher coming off the bench to play high up the park, or against the Hun or Tim high up the park for his overall coverage and closing down abilities. He's Darren Mackie. His attributes are pace and workrate, chasing lost causes and making space for other players. Mackie, criminally, played half his games for the dons in a wide role which nullified every single useful attribute he had (and there weren't many). Gallagher is exactly the same. Either don't play him at all, or use his attributes to perform simple functions within a game where required. It's so obvious it's barely worth talking about. The talking point is obviously that the manager can't see it, in the same vein as Jimmy Calderwood.

As for Motherwell.....they were every bit as bad as us but once again a Logan brainfart costs us dearly, although Lewis cannot escape criticism getting beaten at his near post. Indeed, he really should have dealt with the initial ball itself, it wasn't difficult for him to at least get a decent punch on it. Quite a common failing for him though.

Logan was unlucky, was playing well and actually providing some attacking from fullback for a change. All our defence were cuplable of stupid mistakes yesterday, it's just that Logan's happened to end in a goal. As you say, Lewis could have got closer to it too. At no point, given how average Motherwell were, should we have been clinging on to the hope that our defender might not make a mistake. At home, we should be able to afford a bit of breathing space. Logan is a useful scapegoat for a terrible team performance. We were bound to make a mistake yesterday based on the way we played, it's unfair to try and create nothing and then point the finger at the defence for not being error-free (none of the team were error-free).

Results elsewhere couldn't really have turned out much worse for us. Hibs getting a very late winner was a sickener and they'll certainly fancy their chances of overhauling us if we continue in the same turgid vein that our past 2 games has brought.

Agreed, they're looking good at the minute.

McInnes oot....

I want the cunt to understand what he's doing wrong first, I want him to be held accountable by someone at the club. Otherwise we invite a situation where the next guy does more of the same. No manager should ever turn up at home to a team like Motherwell with such a negative team. I just have no faith in the club to get rid of the manager and not be in the same position in 18 months time. He's got way more failing to do before we can get rid of him.

I just have no faith in the club to get rid of the manager and not be in the same position in 18 months time. He's got way more failing to do before we can get rid of him.

I have a bit more faith with Cormack at the helm in replacing McInnes than I ever would have had with Milne. Might ve misplaced optimism in Cormack, but just get the feeling he knows a bullshitter when he sees one.

I know I said "McInnes oot" in my earlier post. But in reality I cannot see it happening unless he commits an act of gross misconduct that would allow us to bullet him with no compensation.

I was informed that his previous contract extension ( not long after the 2 day excursion to Mordor resulting in him rejecting sevco) had put him on approx. £15k/week thus blowing the sevconian offer of £12k/week right out the water. However I had no info as to his recent contract extension although naturally I presumed it would be on at least the same terms as his previous one. I've now seen a few posters elsewhere who are fairly sensible sorts so not likely to exaggerate saying that his pay went up to £17k/week. With roughly 2 and a half years left on his contract, a quick calculation shows that to bullet him right now would cost somewhere around £2.2million. Adding in Docherty would take the figure northwards of £2.5million. Coupled with the costs of then bringing in a new managerial team...….can anyone actually see Cormack doing it? Bearing in mind we seem to be struggling for seed funding to get the new stadium built I just cannot see any way the club will not just let the status quo continue. A slump into a genuine relegation dogfight in February/March next season might force action (by which time the compo figure would nearly have halved). But I really do think we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future  :hammer:

I know I said "McInnes oot" in my earlier post. But in reality I cannot see it happening unless he commits an act of gross misconduct that would allow us to bullet him with no compensation.

I was informed that his previous contract extension ( not long after the 2 day excursion to Mordor resulting in him rejecting sevco) had put him on approx. £15k/week thus blowing the sevconian offer of £12k/week right out the water. However I had no info as to his recent contract extension although naturally I presumed it would be on at least the same terms as his previous one. I've now seen a few posters elsewhere who are fairly sensible sorts so not likely to exaggerate saying that his pay went up to £17k/week. With roughly 2 and a half years left on his contract, a quick calculation shows that to bullet him right now would cost somewhere around £2.2million. Adding in Docherty would take the figure northwards of £2.5million. Coupled with the costs of then bringing in a new managerial team...….can anyone actually see Cormack doing it? Bearing in mind we seem to be struggling for seed funding to get the new stadium built I just cannot see any way the club will not just let the status quo continue. A slump into a genuine relegation dogfight in February/March next season might force action (by which time the compo figure would nearly have halved). But I really do think we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future  :hammer:

Cormack is minted. Ergo McInnes oot.

I have a bit more faith with Cormack at the helm in replacing McInnes than I ever would have had with Milne. Might ve misplaced optimism in Cormack, but just get the feeling he knows a bullshitter when he sees one.

I don't think McInnes is a bullshitter. In fact, I think he'd come across pretty well in an interview. He just makes mistakes as a manager. The problem is that Cormack is there just now and there appears to be no accountability on the footballing side. What mandate did McInnes have after the Dumbarton game to go out and play in such a negative fashion? Who was there, above him, to hold him accountable for that lack of entertainment? I don't see that such a person exists, Cormack included. Given the names at the time (Derek Adams etc.), I have no doubt that Cormack would have picked similarly to Milne. McInnes is knowledgeable, and really understands the management side of the game in terms of fitness, training, general coaching etc. He struggles with the tactical side, specifically erring toward caution in every instance. How does that come across at an interview? To me, without a structure above McInnes that holds him to account for performances, we'll fail with every appointment. I also believe that if McInnes was being held accountable that we wouldn't have gone into last night's game with three holding midfielders, he would have felt pressured to entertain as well as get a result. The point being, is that we saw a few years back that McInnes is completely capable of putting an entertaining team on the pitch. The season we were banging in 7 goals in a couple of games, 6 etc. We need to be able to force it out of him again. Or ditch him, obviously. But I think we need to bring in the culture of questioning and challenging the manager and setting goals and so on first. I'm not sure it exists currently.

I wasn't at the game, didn't see a stream of the game and didn't even bother checking the score in the second half as I knew it was game over once they scored in first half injury time. It really was that predictable unfortunately.

I feel the team is lethargic, the support are at best the same and the management team really don't seem to be up to stopping the malaise that has set in to our club.

A new training ground, a new chairman, these should be the best of times and a feel good factor coming out of Pittodrie. That couldn't be further from the reality if you tried.

Guess who has been stupid enough to buy a ticket for Sunday's game at a ground I've already seen us lose at this season. Certainly would not bet against Helen doing the double this weekend.

Can't even soften the blow with alcohol.

Roll on Saturday 1st Feb and the opportunity to get pished

Can't even soften the blow with alcohol.

Roll on Saturday 1st Feb and the opportunity to get pished

I'm not waiting that long. 26 days without is enough for me. Only ever done 31 days without alcohol once this century, last year actually just the way the calendar month worked out. I'm looking forward to Friday 31st, plus I need to ca canny on the Saturday as flying to Lisbon from Embra at silly o'clock on Sunday 2nd meaning getting up at 3 a.m.

Rules are there to be broken. We're past the middle of the month now, where we wondered if we would ever want to drink again. Only 8 sleeps for me now although having just stepped on the scales for the first time in months and seeing the lowest I've been for 20/25 years, that's a big incentive. Pints are my  downfall.

New training ground, that's working eh?

Mind you, no lasting damage done there (apart from the three million pounds a week it costs to run)

What's going to happen though when nobody can be a'rsed going to Westhill to watch crap football, Pittodrie's gone and replaced with s'hitey flats at the bottom of Merkland Road East?

Too late then, far too late then.

Ditch the ridiculous Westhill idea, that will at least start a feel good factor and lets get our football team back on the right track.