Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tims - Dons - Sat

We will probably lose the appeal because it will be judged that he was off the ground. Which he just about is. But in my opinion he's made the tackle that had to be made. If it was Scott Brown putting in that challenge most of the Scottish media would be saying it was a great tackle and saying how great he is great at getting stuck into the opposition.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Match Stats

Celtic Shots - 28

Celtic Shots On Target -11

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Aberdeen Shots - 2

Aberdeen Shots On Target - 1

That's pretty disgraceful. We were fortunate to go in at HT 1-1, a combination of poor finishing/decent Goalkeeping kept us in it, then when we were brave enough to get forward, we caused a problem and scored a goal. Yet again we showed them far too much respect and yet again, leave empty handed. Other than some nice 1-2 passing at times, in and around our box, they looked a bit clueless and, unsurprisingly, allowing that diving prick Ajer to waltz unchallenged into our half resulted in their 2nd Goal.

On to the Red Card, bottom line is, it shouldn't have been a Red card, a perfectly fair tackle in where he cleanly wins the ball, his trailing shin may have caught Ajer, but it wasn't reckless and it certainly wasn't dangerous, the speed in which he was travelling made it look far worse than it was. We should be appealing it and it should absolutely be rescinded.

the tackle wasnt needed thats the bigger issue

This

I just saw 'red card-cosgrove' and assumed it was last ditch defending near dons box or at least in the Dons half but to go in that hard and with studs showing practically at the tics goal line was a silly but Id like to think it was just a rush of blood/ adrenaline.

My understanding of the new rules is because of the momentum and the studs being shown, even if they the studs dont make contact now constitutes a red.

But you never know it might be downgra....    :tumbleweed:

Clueless. It’s a stupid stupid tackle, pointless, and Cosgrove in every game is a red card waiting to happen. He has a reputation based on previous matches which doesn’t help his cause today.

So desperate to be negative about the Dons you’re taking the side of a ref who made a bad decision? Weird.

So desperate to be negative about the Dons you’re taking the side of a ref who made a bad decision? Weird.

Then give me something positive! Enlighten me! Would love to talk about positive stuff! I keep saying it, Cosgrove is a red waiting to happen most games, you don’t see that? Maybe he shouldn’t have been sent off but the way he plays it’s no surprise and he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. If you see something different in his play, explain.

I’ve seen the red and many say it was a deserved red. Subjective, but why are you so insistent he made a bad decision? It’s the type of tackle in 2019 that really shouldn’t happen.

20 years ago Cosgrove would have been applauded for making a fantastic tackle. He got the ball first and had Ajer suffered a broken leg then that was just too bad.

But it isn't 20 years ago. Whether folk agree with it or not....the laws have changed. He catches Ajer with his trailing leg on the shin. That's deemed reckless. And tbh the tackle was pointless in that are of the pitch. Especially coming steaming in at full speed. Was just inviting the ref to make a decision. Even if it had been at Pittodrie….a red card would still have been the correct decision though I suspect some refs are influence by the crowd. At Parkhead....there was no chance of the ref bottling it.

Appealing it I fear will just be pouring cash down the toilet....as well as sending the player on a 300 mile round trip to Glasgow for no end result. It might get him into the Livi game as I don't think they'll hold a hearing before Boxing Day but I'd imagine they would hold one before the Hearts game. I'd rather have him available for that one.

Cosgrove is a red waiting to happen most games

Yes he is. I remember his debut. I loved how he raked into Scott Brown after barely 5 minutes on the pitch but it was stupid, and meaningless in the overall scheme of that game (if I remember correctly). At least he was showing heart and determination and a bit of cunt about him, qualities sorely lacking in the vast majority.

The most recent Rangers game was a joke. He was screaming to be cautioned and sent off. He's not the brightest, I suspect but one of his former neighbours was my son and he would disagree as he thinks Sam is ace. He should be a simple fix for an intelligent manager. We love your passion and your determination to do well but for fuck sake, stop running about like a headless chicken and begging for red cards. Your red card rate ridiculous, fully 3, 4, 5 (or however many) times the average in this league although a half or a third of Morelos, who's just a cunt.

Then give me something positive! Enlighten me! Would love to talk about positive stuff! I keep saying it, Cosgrove is a red waiting to happen most games, you don’t see that? Maybe he shouldn’t have been sent off but the way he plays it’s no surprise and he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. If you see something different in his play, explain.

I’ve seen the red and many say it was a deserved red. Subjective, but why are you so insistent he made a bad decision? It’s the type of tackle in 2019 that really shouldn’t happen.

So have I, and many say it wasn't deserved, and if our Manager is to be believed, Lennon said it was never a red and we've been harshly treated as well. 

He won the ball, he doesn't even touch Ajer for fuck sake, it's absolutey mental that our own fans are slating the cunt, he shows a bit of dig and fight, something we lack terribly and he's taking stick from our own.

I appreciate it's all about opinions, but this is bonkers, it's not even a foul, if he makes contact with Ajer, with the leading leg, then it's absolutely a sending off, but he clearly and cleanly wins the ball, the ball is there to be won, and he wins it.

I’m slating him for making a stupid and needless tackle in an area of the field there absolutely no need to even tackle. At 2-1 down we need 11 on the field and it was stupid. Card or not, not Sam’s smartest decision. I’d get it if it was a last ditch tackle and he was trying to prevent a goal but geez.

You say Sam shows dig and fight, I think he’s an absolute clown the way he throws himself about. I see needless tackles, needless fouls, and unnecessary over physical play. It’s embarrassing half the time, and if he was an opponents player he’d get endless abuse from us. He’s an idiot and that, in my eyes, is not dig and fight, but we all have opinions.

He's a big physical Striker, he puts himself about and rightly so, he is up against 2 big Centre Backs every week, he's kicked, elbowed, pushed and pulled for 90 minutes, he gives it back, good for him and so he should. He has 20 golas to show for it this season, wonder where we'd be without him.

That tackle, he clearly saw an opportunity to keep Celtic in their own half, which is what the outcome should have been, a lift to his team mates and Celtic taking a throw in near their own box, I genunely struggle to see and understand why some people have a problem with this, granted it's a minority, but still doesn't make it easier to understand.

You say Sam shows dig and fight, I think he’s an absolute clown the way he throws himself about. I see needless tackles, needless fouls, and unnecessary over physical play. It’s embarrassing half the time

Regarding this, you're mixing Cosgrove up with Lewis Ferguson.

I’m slating him for making a stupid and needless tackle in an area of the field there absolutely no need to even tackle. At 2-1 down we need 11 on the field and it was stupid. Card or not, not Sam’s smartest decision. I’d get it if it was a last ditch tackle and he was trying to prevent a goal but geez.

You say Sam shows dig and fight, I think he’s an absolute clown the way he throws himself about. I see needless tackles, needless fouls, and unnecessary over physical play. It’s embarrassing half the time, and if he was an opponents player he’d get endless abuse from us. He’s an idiot and that, in my eyes, is not dig and fight, but we all have opinions.

The problem is that your opinion isn't backed up by fact. The rangers game is the only one where that rings true. He's only had 3 bookings this season, which doesn't back up your "red card waiting to happen" or "earned himself a reputation" suggestions. Last season was a single red for a second booking and 5 bookings in a near full season. The only real red card challenge came in his debut as a 20 year old, which was rash rather than malicious.

As for yesterday's, I don't believe that even in "today's rules" that was a red. Both McKenna and Ajer had similar off the ground challenges that took the ball and then a bit of the man. That ball was always Cosgrove's, with the Tim only making an attempt in order to dive, it was 80:20 in Cosgrove's favour and he took the whole ball as the linesman found out when it hit him (I'd have been raging if Cosgrove hadn't gone for that ball). The ref then sprinted 50 yards to make a decision on something he didn't have a good view of based on the crowd's reaction. He took no time to consider it, no time to talk to his linesman and no time to play it back in his own head. It was poor refereeing. The refereeing was certainly more rash than the tackle.

In the end, I suspect it'd have made little difference. We actually looked just as good with ten men. We struggled, but were well organised and the majority of their 400 shots of goal were frustrated efforts directly at Lewis. They're a much stronger team than us all over the park but thought McKenna did well, Logan was decent and a couple of others too. They didn't disgrace themselves and it was the type of game where the poorer team often sneaks a draw and I thought Ferguson should have done better with the free kick at the end which might have done just that.

Fair enough with the facts and the data will show the true picture but I reckon that a red card per footballer would happen once every 200+ games on average, maybe more. That's a total guess but where some never see red, we have the likes of Ferguson, Logan and Cosgrove who get sent off way more than the average, Sam and Lewis being symptoms of their highly aggressive style of play, Shay mostly because he mistimes a lot and has brain farts, although I like his aggression too.

I think the Rangers game showed that Cosgrove is always capable of playing at the edge of what is legal and what is not. I've not seen the tackle yet and from what I'm reading it was a very bad decision but refs do get influenced by previous and I think Sam doesn't do himself any favours when he commits the needless fouls. He jumps in too much for me. 

The problem is that your opinion isn't backed up by fact. The rangers game is the only one where that rings true. He's only had 3 bookings this season, which doesn't back up your "red card waiting to happen" or "earned himself a reputation" suggestions. Last season was a single red for a second booking and 5 bookings in a near full season. The only real red card challenge came in his debut as a 20 year old, which was rash rather than malicious.

As for yesterday's, I don't believe that even in "today's rules" that was a red. Both McKenna and Ajer had similar off the ground challenges that took the ball and then a bit of the man. That ball was always Cosgrove's, with the Tim only making an attempt in order to dive, it was 80:20 in Cosgrove's favour and he took the whole ball as the linesman found out when it hit him (I'd have been raging if Cosgrove hadn't gone for that ball). The ref then sprinted 50 yards to make a decision on something he didn't have a good view of based on the crowd's reaction. He took no time to consider it, no time to talk to his linesman and no time to play it back in his own head. It was poor refereeing. The refereeing was certainly more rash than the tackle.

And that cretin Scott Brown as well, ran about the same length as the Ref.

Imagine how much the cunt would be lauded if it was him that made that tackle.

So have I, and many say it wasn't deserved, and if our Manager is to be believed, Lennon said it was never a red and we've been harshly treated as well. 

He won the ball, he doesn't even touch Ajer for fuck sake, it's absolutey mental that our own fans are slating the cunt, he shows a bit of dig and fight, something we lack terribly and he's taking stick from our own.

I appreciate it's all about opinions, but this is bonkers, it's not even a foul, if he makes contact with Ajer, with the leading leg, then it's absolutely a sending off, but he clearly and cleanly wins the ball, the ball is there to be won, and he wins it.

Agreeing with this KFP, at last we have a player with some bollocks , kinda reminds me of the brush tbh !  We have been a soft touch on the field for pretty much 2 decades.

As for that fanny Ajer :mad:

Agreeing with this KFP, at last we have a player with some bollocks , kinda reminds me of the brush tbh !  We have been a soft touch on the field for pretty much 2 decades.

As for that fanny Ajer :mad:

I just don’t see it as that. He’s not a tough tackling midfielder for example, he gives away so many needless and stupid fouls. I’m not tracking stats on that but if you watch our games it’s plain to see. And stat wise , 16 yellow and 2 red in the last season and a half I think, which excludes the previous season when he barely played but did get sent off on his debut. He’s just not a smart player in my opinion.

Regardless, this is getting blown way out of proportion, my whole point is that we needed him on the field yesterday and he made a stupid decision, a needless tackle, and it hurt us.

I just don’t see it as that. He’s not a tough tackling midfielder for example, he gives away so many needless and stupid fouls. I’m not tracking stats on that but if you watch our games it’s plain to see. And stat wise , 16 yellow and 2 red in the last season and a half I think, which excludes the previous season when he barely played but did get sent off on his debut. He’s just not a smart player in my opinion.

Regardless, this is getting blown way out of proportion, my whole point is that we needed him on the field yesterday and he made a stupid decision, a needless tackle, and it hurt us.

He still has time on his side & he will learn i'm sure, but still good to see some of our players with fight & desire.

Re tough tackling midfielder , i think the likes of Bisconti, Richardson or Windass would relish a tussle with nomarks like Brown :laughing:

the likes of Bisconti,Richardson or Windass

There was absolutely nothing reckless about his tackle, this is fucking insane.

And whilst not an endorsement that I am right ( Even though I am ) Michael Stewart & Marvin Bartley just said on Sportscene that it was a perfectly fine tackle and never a Red Card. He makes minimal contact with Ajer, with his trailing leg that was tucked underneath him, it's not even a foul.

Didn't see any of the game either cos I was working until 9 pm but interesting to hear those comments just now about Ajer. Like Eric Dier today and whoever the fuck Son lashed out at but never touched, these cunts these days are so keen to feign injury. It's sick as fuck.

Disappointed in Joe Lewis. That was a golden opportunity and a free shot to hit Leigh Griffiths so hard that he could've put his lights out, exactly as he deserved. I guess violence isn't welcome in the modern era. Nanny state shite.