Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Toys out of the pram from the Evening Express

INCREDIBLE SULKS

12:00 - 29 February 2008

Aberdeen players are refusing to speak to you ... by imposing a ban on interviews with the Evening Express, writes Charlie Allan.

In an amazing hissy fit, skipper Scott Severin and his team-mates have decided not to talk to us, despite the fact we are the newspaper on which most fans depend for news of the club.

The players have accused the Evening Express of being "generally negative" about the Dons.

A request to speak to Barry Nicholson after their 1-1 draw with Motherwell was rejected.

The players also refused to speak to us to preview tomorrow's SPL clash with Rangers at Ibrox. But they did interviews with Glasgow-based papers.

I went to Pittodrie and asked for a face-to-face meeting with Severin to discuss the players' issues with our coverage.

The club skipper refused my request for a chat and instead sent Dons media officer Dave Macdermid to speak on his behalf.

Macdermid confirmed the players have imposed the ban because of what was described as "the general negativity" of our coverage in recent weeks.

Macdermid claimed Severin told him the ban would be lifted after tomorrow's SPL clash with Rangers "once the players had made their point."

"They feel the local paper should be more supportive," he added.

Macdermid added the "negativity" included critical comments from columnists and fans.

He said the players were particularly upset by last Monday's back page story, confirming manager Jimmy Calderwood plans to move out at least 10 players in the summer.

Calderwood did not name any of the players, so we printed a list of those believed to be most under threat.

Severin and the squad then held a meeting, after which they informed the club they would no longer speak to us.

The Evening Express makes no apology for asking hard questions of a team that has won just two of their last 11 SPL games.

We also hit out at the players for their poor display in the 4-1 CIS League Cup semi-final thrashing by Dundee United.

But we have heaped praise on them for their efforts in the UEFA Cup this season. We ran front and back page tributes and published pull-outs celebrating their achievements.

Calderwood admitted he thinks the players have made a mistake by refusing to do interviews with the Evening Express.

Calderwood said: "I think the players are wrong because I don't think it helps anyone. But Seve told me that is what they wanted to do, so it's their choice.

"They were annoyed by last Monday's article in particular. It was a bit naughty putting names to what I said, but you have to expect that. I didn't name anyone but had to speak to Lee Mair and it clearly annoyed the players."

Despite the stance by the players, we will continue to bring you the best news about the Dons.

:violin:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tough fucking shit EE you brought this upon yourselves.

Fair enough to ask tough questions, but the continual negative slant and sensationalism that they have demonstrated is a crock of shit.

Guess I can only speak for myself, but I for one will live without their indepth, balanced viewpoint upon all matters AFC for the foreseeable future.

Well tough fucking shit EE you brought this upon yourselves.

Fair enough to ask tough questions, but the continual negative slant and sensationalism that they have demonstrated is a crock of shit.

Guess I can only speak for myself, but I for one will live without their indepth, balanced viewpoint upon all matters AFC for the foreseeable future.

What he said

The EE has been taking the piss for far too long with misrepresentations of stories and the general piss poor coverage.

The very fact that Charlie Allan thinks the EE is the only way the players can talk tot he fans highlights what an ignorant c**k he is.

I'm just disappointed this is only a temporary ban.

FUCKING GREAT NEWS!

Best thing I've read in the EE in years.  Good on the players, shame it doesn't have the club's backing.

Would love to see how they fill the pages if it was a longer stint.

I agree.  Sick to death of the so-called PR coming out of the club.  Just keep it shut and get on with the job you're paid to do - winning football matches.  Get back the seige mentality!

Guest Caroline B

Who is Charlie Allan? I've heard the words "Fat Postie" and "Pieman" bandied about. I take it he is a "reporter" for the Evening Depressed. I haven't bought this paper for years as I was living elsewhere and only returned to Aberdeen in the summer.

If the players feel that the paper has taken a negative slant on things, then they are within their rights to boycott it if they see fit. Papers tend to make things up anyway if they don't get what they want from players. Look out for more "Sensational" news from the assorted hacks over the next few weeks.

Get a real job you bunch of parasites!

Who is Charlie Allan? I've heard the words "Fat Postie" and "Pieman" bandied about. I take it he is a "reporter" for the Evening Depressed. I haven't bought this paper for years as I was living elsewhere and only returned to Aberdeen in the summer.

Apparently....

A voluminous oaf, who apparently was a postie, who crossed picket lines during a strike (in a 'reporting' capacity)in order to make life harder for the real journalists.  He's since had his crap posted in the Express, much to the chagrin of the entire English speaking world... but mostly to the annoyance of Dons fans and, now it seems, Dons players.

Charlei Allan = P45

Fingers crossed.

I agree with some that this is one of the best things Seve has down all season.

I saw the EE when I went to get a Chinese tonight and its laughable especially this

Calderwood did not name any of the players, so we printed a list of those believed to be most under threat.

Even if they never printed a list of the players most likely to be at risk it cant have come as a shock to any who were printed as apart from the 3 european games they have all been mince most of the season..

but i cant stand that big headed smug fat piece of shit charlie allan so good on you seve

Guest kilcousland red army

First good thing Severin has done all season!

Agreed, but what the fuk is JC doing he should be sticking up for his players, not the press, just shows off his great man management skills again!

Agreed, but what the fuk is JC doing he should be sticking up for his players, not the press, just shows off his great man management skills again!

He wouldn't criticise his employers though would he? Between all the matches, scouting trips and training sessions which the players are 'flying' I'm surprised he has time to write a full page spread every week in the P&J and Daily Record.

At least things are going well on the pitch...  :-\