Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dundee V Aberdeen

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactry, a JC foreign loan signing who was quality. We’ll not see that, too risky.

Quality is a very strong word.

12 years is a long time in football but as I recall he had a couple of good matches (Vs Romanovs mercenaries and the tax dodgers) then pretty much settled back to the usual Standard of the time. Don't recall much fuss when his loan wasn't extended and according to wikipedia he actually quit football for good about 6 years after leaving the dons (in his mid 20s)

Quality is a very strong word.

12 years is a long time in football but as I recall he had a couple of good matches (Vs Romanovs mercenaries and the tax dodgers) then pretty much settled back to the usual Standard of the time. Don't recall much fuss when his loan wasn't extended and according to wikipedia he actually quit football for good about 6 years after leaving the dons (in his mid 20s)

This is how I remembered it, cultured player we tried to sign permanently but couldn't afford him. I'd take a left back like him now in a heartbeat!

Date: 22nd February 2007 at 11:25pm

Written by: Cole Thomson

Ferne Snoyl has said that he has gone from the tidy, passing, neat player who arrived at Pittodrie to one of the hardest men in the Dutch league when he returned back to his homeland.

Jimmy Calderwood brought Ferne to the club last season on loan from Feyenoord after a tip off from a source in Holland and wanted to keep the Dutchman after he impressed during his time at Pittodrie. Ferne returned back to his homeland because the clubs couldn`t agree personal terms and he now plays for NEC Nijmegen, a club Calderwood once managed.

Ferne has spoken out about his time in Scotland and admits he wouldn`t have missed it for the world despite now picking up too many yellow cards for his over exuberant tackling and the refs asking if he thinks he`s still in Scotland.

The 21 year old gave his personal views on Scottish football and despite insisting the experience was good for him, he was not particularly complimentary.

He said “The manner of play is completely different now I`m back home to what it was at Aberdeen”.

“The workrate and the physical power in the football in Scotland is from another dimension”.

He then went on to say that “Celtic are the only team who play really good football while with the rest of the teams it`s all about muscles”.

Nonsense Ferne, there are plenty of teams in Scotland who can`t play good football and haven`t got any muscle either.

The way I recall it we couldn't sign Snoyl because there was a fee involved (and we didn't pay fees for a good decade or so) and the next thing I heard Snoyl had been released and ended up at Nijmegen.  :wave:

It's still being said a lot that we should look abroad because "other clubs manage". Please to be advising of some recent success stories from other clubs unearthing foreign diamonds?

McInnes goes for players with experience of the British leagues and as a result has a better team spirit (IMO) than clubs like Hearts.

McInnes said on REDTV that Hoban is out for a month! McKenna also at the very least a month, Reynolds long term and still no Logan for the next 2 games. Can't see anything other than a back 4 of Ball Devlin Considine Shinnie.

Harrington at RB instead of Ball. Play Ball in a position he knows i.e DM

Lewis

Harrington    Devlin    Conso    Shinnie

Ball

McGinn        Ferguson        GMS

Forrester

Anderson

thats pretty narrow mindset ? johnny foreigner cannot be in my team as we will have less of a team spirit.... if that is his view then he is thicker and more one dimensional than I first thought

I don't think it is view fortunately. I think his view is that it "can" take a player from another league setup longer to settle and that there are more similarities between our game and the english game that makes this less of a roulette. He'd have no problem with signing a foreigner who has been in the British leagues for example. I think that he'd be more likely to take a loanee from a foreign league if offered (like Hibs did with Kamberi) than make a full time signing due to the risk involved. It's all about risk, obviously. The important thing to note is that we'd be talking individuals that are offered to us on recommendation rather than us taking up scouting in country. As no-one as managed to come up with an example of a Scottish team that has/had a succesful scouting network outside of the UK, regularly returning players, then we have to assume that this is the correct approach.

In terms of Snoyle, we're ignoring the silent evidence here. Snoyle came to us as a result of a tip off. As we drifted into what can be described as a more permanent Dutch network (jimmy's brither) we uncovered Touzani (decent), Daal, De Visscher, Bus as well as various other trialists. Apart from the fact that Snoyle was blatantly average (and for some reason gets held in high regard), he was also an anomoly in our largely unsuccesful foray into the Dutch market where we found that targets were basically amateurs.

There's nothing one-dimensional to McInnes' approach, it's rational and fact-based. He has never ruled out foreigners, its just that the main target of our scouting network is the one where we have the most succesful return throughout the history of our football club outwith Scotland. Anyone outwith that scouting network, logically, will be based on a recommendation or a punt with little to lose (Uchechi, Chalali). There is probably an argument to say that we could go a little more international with our punts, but I think that the better approach would be not to bother at all.

Oh well 4th competitive game with no replacement for Rooney. Would like to think Anderson showing more attacking threat in 15 minutes than Cosgrove has in 3 games this season will mean he starts on Saturday. Would be tempted to go 4-4-2 with May up beside Anderson. Surely we don’t need 5 in midfield against Dundee. Would also play Harrington at right back at as I thought Ball was poor on Saturday. Not as bad as his cup final performance but still poor. Of course I have no idea what team McInnes will go with however.

In

Pub

Away End

Pub then family meal

2-0 Anderson and May

Piss poor performance today against a shite Dundee side. Got a bit better once Anderson replaced Cosgrove and we at least looked like we carried some goal threat. Anderson has to start next week. Thought Gleeson again looked poor along with McGinn. GMS started poorly but got better as game progressed and Dundee fans started abusing him. We desperately need a striker in and also a number 10.

Not long back, 3 points that's about all i can say, Dundee missing 2 or 3 very good chances , their main striker was pap.  We so badly need a creative midfielder & at least 1 striker,mabye 2.

Improved greatly as a team when the energetic Anderson & Wright came on, full of energy & Bruce hit the bar. Thought Gleeson's use of the ball was very good today, Niall should have been hooked as he was pants, G.M.S was better.        Devlin & Considine strolled through game.  Lewis is god.

We will get better, but 3 players needed.

Cosgrove just doesn't move. Number of times today Mcginn looked up expecting Cosgrove to make a run and it just didn't happen. He is static far too much. We don't need to be playing him against Dundee, surely?

I thought our attacking intent today was devoid of ideas. Not sure what May was supposed to be doing but whatever it was he didn't do it very well.

As with last week, for the amount of touches Gleeson gets on the ball he should be a bit braver in his use of it, but maybe that will come as he settles into the side.

There are so few goals in that team - we need a penalty box striker, like an Adam Rooney of 3 years ago

A shit game for us but will happily take the three points. God was doing the commentary on Sportsound and said we will struggle if Cosgrove is our main attacking threat. I think he has a role to play in the team, but certainly not the player we need to put the ball in the net.  For me Anderson should start the next game, if we haven't got anyone in by then.

Not great but deserved the three points. Sometimes we as fans underestimate how tough it is to win away from home in the Premiership. Look at how many Hibs & Hearts have shipped in recent seasons, Rangers too. Three points on the road is always a good result.

GMS and Devlin were excellent.

Bear in mind that's not our strongest team we've got out at the moment. Logan or Hoban at right back would be good. Gleeson still settling in - I'd like to see us try Gleeson/Ball as a partnership with Shinnie at LB.

Forrester should get a bit more game time, could do with more creativity. And it doesn't need to be said really we need a new striker and fast.